Personal Statement Review/Guidance

Hey everyone! I'm working on my personal statement, but based on the advice in this forum, I have no idea if what I've written is in the right direction. I would love some advice on my statement. I'd I was premed for 3 application cycles, but during the third cycle I started talking to residents and doctors about what they spend their time doing. This led me to think more about my options in healthcare, specifically becoming a PA. I want to spend most of my time with patients and see a difference in their lives. I want to build relationships with my patients. I love working on a team and teaching my coworkers and patients. That's the kind of work I want to do. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mands

If you still need help LMK (DM me)! I'm on my second cycle with some interview offers... however I can still help with grammar, some wording, and whatnot 🙂 

I think it's good to talk about how you tried for med school ? ( is that the premed you are talking about?) and how you completely shifted once you realized what you felt more comfortable doing. I think that the practitioner that will spend the most time with patients will be nurses... I don't think i've met a PA that spent more (I think it's about the same) time as a medical doctor in terms of the patient encounter. You could maybe argue that PAs do more procedures and have more time with patients, however, the history taking, physical, etc. seems  to be about the same. So, you'd have to build that argument based on specialty and your own observation. For the team part: I talked about how being a mid-level practitioner lets you be both a leader and team member (cliche, whatever, just word it not in a cliche way LOL). Also, how your role is the essence of teamwork since you always have to work with a MD/DO! It's literally the whole job itself! 

Edited by mands

Guest mands
25 minutes ago, JDDrez said:

Thank you for the advice! I ended up talking more about how I speak Spanish and want to work with Latino/ Hispanic populations, building patient-provider relationships, and being a teacher to patients and students.

that's super good! if you want bonus points: talk about patient health disparities in the latinx communities! talk about how you are extra sensitive to ethic-based risk factors 🙂 I'm biracial so I honed in on that so hard with how my asian grandma couldn't fully communicate with her provider (we lived in a pretty homogenous town), and how it makes me want to learn more working-levels of languages. Also, how surviving the vietnam war effected our family's genetic health, etc. There's so much you can talk about with specific ethnic/cultural based stuff 🙂 and i know schools love diversity.