Name change via AAPA...

37 minutes ago, thinkertdm said:

“This is the song that never ends.
Yes, it goes on and on, my friends.
Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue singing it forever just because...

...this is the song that never ends.
Yes, it goes on and on, my friends.
Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue singing it forever just because...”

Thank you for that ear worm! 

On 7/22/2020 at 4:10 AM, KpsPac said:

@PACali ....so we have been called PHYSICIAN Assistant for 50 plus years. Do we need to apologize for “misleading”’the public all this time? 

Being called a Medical Practioner is not very descriptive either. In fact, I had a nurse admin in my practice who referred to their MAs as such. According to a few legal folks, MP cannot be copyrighted, or claimed by a profession, as it is too general. 

I certainly do NOT want to continue to be mistaken for a nurse practitioner, which will happen with a name so close. 

There are 3 things patient think I am with the name Physician Assistant: 1. An assistant 2. Resident 3. A physician. 

I personally never heard anybody refer MA to Medical Practitioner. 

The WPP already had examined alternative titles to determine any trademark, regulatory, or other conflict between Aug to Oct 2019. They also had legal counsel to identified conflicts with the potential titles during October to Dec 2019. "Medical Care Practitioner" was one of the 4 title that survived. https://www.aapa.org/title-change-investigation/process/timeline/

I really don't know how you can be mistaken for a Nurse Practitioner, when your badges says Medical Care Practitioner, unless the patient can't read. They don't even sound anything alike. 

On 7/23/2020 at 7:32 AM, SedRate said:

Medical Care Practitioner is too placid, wordy, and Medical Assist-esque/Patient Care Tech-esque, and I don't think it packs enough punch for folks to take seriously. NP at least carries the weight of the superhero nurse image who fights crime alongside docs and now you can add doctorate and independent. But we don't get to ride on those coattails. MCP will still be a predominantly masters level degree and therefore less than in the eyes of anyone who isn't looking further into the matter beyond name and credentials to let us explain what that actually means.

In my opinion, Medical Care Practitioner is the best one we have so far. I disagree we need a name that "packs a punch." We need a name that a 6 years old can understand what we do, which is to provide medical care. No one will question your credential to provide medical care when your badge says "Medical Care Practitioner."  Regarding being wordy, I am just going to introduced myself as "Medical Practitioner." I doubt I will be accused for misrepresenting myself. 

Medical Care Practitioner also fits well with the Doctor of Medical Science degree. 

Please take a look at WPP's frame work on selecting a professional title. https://www.aapa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/TCI-BRANDING-ONESHEET.pdf

A title should 1. Say one thing clearly 2. Be highly usable 3. Set the stage to tell your broader history. 

Other criteria they used, that I agree the most are: 

1. Use natural, human language; not cold or impersonal

2. Easy to use and understand or explain

3.Clear and specific to project accurate definition of the profession

4.Broad and flexible

5.Support autonomous role as a respected peer to physicians, avoiding subordinate terms

6. Convey professional stature

7.Appropriate for use today and future-proof for tomorrow

I truly believe Medical Care Practitioner fits all the criteria above. Until a better title comes through, Medical Care Practitioner has my vote.  

TCI-BRANDING-ONESHEET.pdf

Edited by PACali
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, PACali said:

I really don't know how you can be mistaken for a Nurse Practitioner, when your badges says Medical Care Practitioner, unless the patient can't read. They don't even sound anything alike. 

The same exact way that I am mistaken for nurse practitioner even though my badge, lab coat, business cards,  Picture in the lobby, paperwork, etc. state that I am a PA. 

Imagine them only seen the word “practitioner.”  You really think they’re going to think “medical care” vs nurse first? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, KpsPac said:

The same exact way that I am mistaken for nurse practitioner even though my badge, lab coat, business cards,  Picture in the lobby, paperwork, etc. state that I am a PA. 

Imagine them only seen the word “practitioner.”  You really think they’re going to think “medical care” vs nurse first? 

Honestly, I think they may confuse you for that no matter what the name is. Sexism is terrible and I’m sorry that happens to you. I can’t count how many female physicians are mistaken for nurses. Mean while, I was assumed to be a physician even when I was a baby faced nurse over a decade ago, and still, have always been assumed to be a physician. Heck, when I was a little kid I assumed my dad was the only physician in the family and my mom was a nurse, when she is also a physician. She tried to tell me she was a physician, which I found incredulous. She then told me my dads friend was a nurse and my mind exploded. Literally, I screamed no. Glad I’m more educated now. I’m not sure how much better any name is going to make it for women until culture changes.

in fairness to me, the above situation occurred because I wanted mommy to sew my head booboo because nurses hurt less than doctors, so I thought they did pretty much the same thing just nicer.

9 hours ago, PACali said:

There are 3 things patient think I am with the name Physician Assistant: 1. An assistant 2. Resident 3. A physician. 

I personally never heard anybody refer MA to Medical Practitioner. 

The WPP already had examined alternative titles to determine any trademark, regulatory, or other conflict between Aug to Oct 2019. They also had legal counsel to identified conflicts with the potential titles during October to Dec 2019. "Medical Care Practitioner" was one of the 4 title that survived. https://www.aapa.org/title-change-investigation/process/timeline/

In my opinion, Medical Care Practitioner is the best one we have so far. I disagree we need a name that "packs a punch." We need a name that a 6 years old can understand what we do, which is to provide medical care. No one will question your credential to provide medical care when your badge says "Medical Care Practitioner."  Regarding being wordy, I am just going to introduced myself as "Medical Practitioner." I doubt I will be accused for misrepresenting myself. 

Medical Care Practitioner also fits well with the Doctor of Medical Science degree. 

Please take a look at WPP's frame work on selecting a professional title. https://www.aapa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/TCI-BRANDING-ONESHEET.pdf

A title should 1. Say one thing clearly 2. Be highly usable 3. Set the stage to tell your broader history. 

Other criteria they used, that I agree the most are: 

1. Use natural, human language; not cold or impersonal

2. Easy to use and understand or explain

3.Clear and specific to project accurate definition of the profession

4.Broad and flexible

5.Support autonomous role as a respected peer to physicians, avoiding subordinate terms

6. Convey professional stature

7.Appropriate for use today and future-proof for tomorrow

I truly believe Medical Care Practitioner fits all the criteria above. Until a better title comes through, Medical Care Practitioner has my vote.  

TCI-BRANDING-ONESHEET.pdf 48.65 kB · 1 download

I don't disagree and I appreciate all the info, but my opinion is the same, especially if PA remains at a master's level while NPs advance to doctorate level. "They're a doctor and you're just a Practitioner" would be the new argument along with the aforementioned nursing superhero coattail. Hopefully the general public and legislative authorities think differently and think we'd be on par with NPs and therefore deserve similar treatment. Regardless, if it does get chosen, I hope it helps enough to make positive changes.

• Upvote 1

Was Clinical Practitioner ever considered? I did a quick search on here but didn't see anything. 

I don't think it was mentioned in the survey but I remember some of us posted that (at least I think I did [emoji23]) back when we're throwing names around here. I wrote it in on the survey in one of the questions though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Clinical Practitioner, Clinical Associate all sound good. The patient may take some time to think about what you do. I am also all about getting rid of the word physician in our title since we are not physician. 

I still like the words "Medical Care" because it will certainly register faster in patient's brain. They will know you provide medical care at some capacity.  

I also suggest "Medical Care Clinician" and we can use Clinician for short. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 10:42 AM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

PA - Provider of Allopathic Medicine.  I think I'll patent it.

If I recall correctly, there are PAs who train in OMT post-graduation. I guess we could have PAs and POs, where POs are less respected than PAs for like a century, then we could lobby to advocate for the equal treatment and post-graduate educational opportunities for PAs and POs alike. Wait, that sounds REALLY familiar. 😉 In all seriousness, I'm not much of a proponent for a title that can be used as an umbrella term. Provider of Allopathic Medicine is intrinsically inclusive of MDs and PAs since they are both 1) providers and 2) practice allopathic medicine. 

I can't think of another science-based profession that differentiates between masters and doctorate via their title. Yes, one is referred to as Dr. XX, but a masters level chemist, a doctorate level chemist, and a post-doctorate level chemist are all chemists. They (and who they work for) determine and are responsible for their every day duties, which are based on their level of education on experience. So in medicine, why is there not one title for someone who practices medicine? My assumption is because it breaks tradition and hurts the egos of physicians. There are also some physicians that argue that PAs do not practice medicine. People will kill me if I use the word physician, so lets make a completely different title. Let's say anyone who practices medicine is referred to as a medical practitioner. Let's also say we use the already established title hierarchy that is used in academia. We could have:

1. Dr. XX, MD: medical practitioner who attended medical school and obtained a Doctor of Medicine and went on to complete a post-doctoral residency
  2. Dr. YY, MD: associate medical practitioner who attended medical school and obtained a Doctor of Medicine (did not complete a residency)
  3. Mr. ZZ, MSM (MS in Medicine): assistant medical practitioner who went to medical school and obtained a master's degree

This 1) creates a clearer hierarchy of education and experience using a system that is already understood by most who attended college 2) puts non-matching doctorate-level providers (or providers who decided not to attend a residency) who have vital skills to work and 3) streamlines advancement of education for those with masters or those who did not complete a residency. 

But it still uses the word assistant. I could argue that assistant physician is perceived, at least by me, a lot differently than physician assistant. The first being a physician whose formal experiences/training is not at the maximum capacity of the profession. The latter being the physicians personal assistant. 

It would take time, but if physicians prefer PA education of NP education, they need to work with us to determine how our title fits in with theirs while making everyone content. We need to work together to make sure we are not stepping on any toes and we are being trained to a high standard. With a competitive training standard (which we arguably already have), it is completely rationale to expect a title that reflects that. Moreover, through school, I have never worked with a physician who thought "assistant" was fitting for our education/training level. [I understand there is some bias here, as physicians who precept PA students are more likely to be a proponent of PAs.] I have even worked with more than 1 physician, particularly during my EM rotation, who refused to refer to me as a "physician assistant student," but preferred PA student or medical student.

While on the subject of a name change, can we also talk about standardizing the title of the degree? Like everyone knows what an BSN or MSN is, or an MD, or PsyD, etc. But we have: MS, MMS, MPAS, MSPAS, MPAP, MHS, and probably more. 

Im preferential to Master of Clinical Medicine. But honestly what matters more is consistency. The degree and professional title could both be part of a facelift. I know the 2019 AAPA had some resolution by a state chapter to encourage standardization of the shred but don’t know if it passed or not.. 

Edited by lemurcatta
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, lemurcatta said:

While on the subject of a name change, can we also talk about standardizing the title of the degree? Like everyone knows what an BSN or MSN is, or an MD, or PsyD, etc. But we have: MS, MMS, MPAS, MSPAS, MPAP, MHS, and probably more. 

Im preferential to Master of Clinical Medicine. But honestly what matters more is consistency. The degree and professional title could both be part of a facelift. I know the 2019 AAPA had some resolution by a state chapter to encourage standardization of the shred but don’t know if it passed or not.. 

Masters of Medical Science seems to be the direction this is going in. Then a transition to DMSc makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Cideous said:

I don't get it....are these guys PA's?

They are foreign and domestic medical school graduates who haven't matched into residencies.  I could be wrong, but it is my understanding they are currently only eligible to practice in certain areas of Missouri, but that is in danger from multiple fronts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mgriffiths said:

They are foreign and domestic medical school graduates who haven't matched into residencies.  I could be wrong, but it is my understanding they are currently only eligible to practice in certain areas of Missouri, but that is in danger from multiple fronts.

So not real PA's.  Wow.  The hits just keep coming.  We need to be Practitioners and right soon.....

• Like 1