Eastern Virginia Medical School 2020-2021 Cycle

Current student, accepted last year. We're excited to meet (virtually) the new interviewees. I'd like to answer questions for anyone waiting for an interview, but as you might realize my time is very pre-occupied with school. That said, I want to offer some insight if I can. Feel free to ask about more than just interviews too. Could be about anything like our cadaver lab, covid policies, or our school's free clinic. I may not have answers to everything, but I'll do my best.

We plan to have a Q&A session for pre-PA applicants on July 8th. It will be open for anyone, not just interviewees. We'll be answering questions and talking about our experiences getting into PA school and attending EVMS. I would like to see some of you there and meet you (again virtually unfortunately).

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DOCRAH said:

Really??!!! That's crazy man for real...this is getting ridiculous...its been over 3 mths since the deadline🤦🏼‍♂️ Would be cool if ARC-PA made it so programs would have to let you know in a more timely manner. A new CASPA cycle has opened up after all and every day that we aren't submitting a new app to other schools could be putting us at risk for not getting a seat...its truly a game of wait and see roulette lol. Here's to hearing great news tomorrow 🙏

Dear DOCRAH,

I understand that this process is stressful and waiting is extremely difficult. I don't miss being on the other end. However, I would caution you to be mindful of how you're communicating your passion and feelings about the process. Ultimately, you have no idea whose eyes are monitoring this forum. 

Schools have thousands of applicants to get through and it is a very detailed and painstaking process to ensure every applicant is fairly vetted. If there are concerns about missing out on the new cycle, then I would encourage you not to wait on applying. Of course, I fully understand that it is expensive and time consuming to do so - but it is ultimately something that you have control of.

Typically, EVMS has sent out invites in the second week of June, so you are likely very close to being done with this stage of the waiting game.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Reuvan said:

Current student, accepted last year. We're excited to meet (virtually) the new interviewees. I'd like to answer questions for anyone waiting for an interview, but as you might realize my time is very pre-occupied with school. That said, I want to offer some insight if I can. Feel free to ask about more than just interviews too. Could be about anything like our cadaver lab, covid policies, or our school's free clinic. I may not have answers to everything, but I'll do my best.

We plan to have a Q&A session for pre-PA applicants on July 8th. It will be open for anyone, not just interviewees. We'll be answering questions and talking about our experiences getting into PA school and attending EVMS. I would like to see some of you there and meet you (again virtually unfortunately).

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to offer this! I would love to know more about the cadaver lab if you have time to share more info on it. Is the lab a simulation or do you get to work on actual cadavers? I did read about SCSIL when I was first researching EVMS and found it really neat!! Is that also something that PA students get to use? Thank you! 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Khmedic08 said:

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to offer this! I would love to know more about the cadaver lab if you have time to share more info on it. Is the lab a simulation or do you get to work on actual cadavers? I did read about SCSIL when I was first researching EVMS and found it really neat!! Is that also something that PA students get to use? Thank you! 

Hi!!! Also a current student!

The cadaver lab and SCSIL lab are two of the major reasons I chose EVMS.

For cadaver lab we were placed in groups and assigned a body to dissect throughout the semester, and you also have the opportunity to observe other donors in the room.

PA students do also use the SCSIL Lab, but you don't use it in the first semester. We started using it this semester since we are now working on patient interactions. 

First semester is building your knowledge foundation before you start getting into the other aspects of this career. 

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, mxray said:

Hi!!! Also a current student!

The cadaver lab and SCSIL lab are two of the major reasons I chose EVMS.

For cadaver lab we were placed in groups and assigned a body to dissect throughout the semester, and you also have the opportunity to observe other donors in the room.

PA students do also use the SCSIL Lab, but you don't use it in the first semester. We started using it this semester since we are now working on patient interactions. 

First semester is building your knowledge foundation before you start getting into the other aspects of this career. 

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Thank you for the info! I’ve had the opportunity in the past to observe a few autopsies (they weren’t hands on), so the hands on cadaver lab sounds like a really invaluable part of the program! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ebony said:

Thanks, Reuvan for taking the time to reach out to us !!! We are all really excited and anxious !!! Hope school is going well for you ! Will interviews definitely be virtual this year? 

It does appear that interviews will be virtual. Despite our recent changes for vaccinated individuals, I don't think they want to move into in-person interviewing yet. We'll be doing virtual mentor breakout rooms between interviews so I'm guessing it will almost certainly be online. Even during COVID, the cadaver and SCSIL labs are both in-person so you will not be studying on virtual cadavers. @mxray described it well. PS. If she is still there next year, the anatomy professor is great and you'll love her.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Reuvan said:

It does appear that interviews will be virtual. Despite our recent changes for vaccinated individuals, I don't think they want to move into in-person interviewing yet. We'll be doing virtual mentor breakout rooms between interviews so I'm guessing it will almost certainly be online. Even during COVID, the cadaver and SCSIL labs are both in-person so you will not be studying on virtual cadavers. @mxray described it well. PS. If she is still there next year, the anatomy professor is great and you'll love her.

What have been the changes for vaccinated individuals?

14 hours ago, Reuvan said:

Hi @Reuvan! Thanks so much for offering an opportunity for us to ask questions. I'm very interested in the HOPES Free clinic and would love to know more about it. Would we only be able to serve in the clinic during our clinical year, or is this something we can do prior to that. Also, is there an opportunity to take a Spanish med term class to assist our Spanish speaking community? Hope this semester is going smoothly. Excited to virtually meet you! 🙂

18 minutes ago, ChameleonProtactinium said:

Hi @Reuvan! Thanks so much for offering an opportunity for us to ask questions. I'm very interested in the HOPES Free clinic and would love to know more about it. Would we only be able to serve in the clinic during our clinical year, or is this something we can do prior to that. Also, is there an opportunity to take a Spanish med term class to assist our Spanish speaking community? Hope this semester is going smoothly. Excited to virtually meet you! 🙂

It would probably be hard to volunteer during clinical year, but I would say it is doable. The clinic is held on Thursdays. First semester you can only volunteer as an admin or in a nonclinical position (front desk, continuity coordinator, etc.). Once you hit 2nd and 3rd semester, a PA can volunteer as a Jr. clinician working with a Sr. clinician to see patients. PAs can volunteer as Sr. clinicians during their Clinical year. There is a Spanish opportunity but I am not sure if its a class, a volunteer opportunity, or both. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmvcam said:

What have been the changes for vaccinated individuals?

Vaccinated individuals no longer have to wear masks or socially distance inside buildings, unless a patient encounter is involved. This may not be true for labs, but for classrooms and general spaces where there are no patients it is.

5 minutes ago, Reuvan said:

Vaccinated individuals no longer have to wear masks or socially distance inside buildings, unless a patient encounter is involved. This may not be true for labs, but for classrooms and general spaces where there are no patients it is.

Okay thanks! I’ve seen that all students must be vaccinated this fall. Is there any option to not get vaccinated and continue to wear masks during class moving forward, or is the vaccine absolutely required?

Hey guys! I quit my job as a medical assistant in May because it was toxic. I’ve had a couple of job interviews since then but they want me to reach back out to them once I hear from EVMS, so they know if I can work long term or not. 
My question is, If I don’t have a job by the time I interview (if I do), will they maybe take off “points” for that? I’ve been volunteering and going to school for EMT in the meantime. What do y’all think? 🙂

37 minutes ago, Sydneyshea said:

Hey guys! I quit my job as a medical assistant in May because it was toxic. I’ve had a couple of job interviews since then but they want me to reach back out to them once I hear from EVMS, so they know if I can work long term or not. 
My question is, If I don’t have a job by the time I interview (if I do), will they maybe take off “points” for that? I’ve been volunteering and going to school for EMT in the meantime. What do y’all think? 🙂

Hello! I have no idea how the adcom scores but I would not worry about not currently having a job. I am not sure what they will be asking this year. My best advice would be if they happen to ask during interviews you could mention that you are currently in between jobs (if you decide to mention you left your job, DO NOT talk negatively about it as it reflects poorly on you, even if you had a good reason for leaving). You have other positives going in your life I would focus on those factors instead.

1 hour ago, dmvcam said:

Okay thanks! I’ve seen that all students must be vaccinated this fall. Is there any option to not get vaccinated and continue to wear masks during class moving forward, or is the vaccine absolutely required?

You will still be required to wear a mask/full PPE in all areas whether socially distanced or not

1 hour ago, LaurenR19 said:

You will still be required to wear a mask/full PPE in all areas whether socially distanced or not

To my understanding the vaccine is required (once FDA approved) unless you have a documented medical or religious reason as to why you cannot receive the vaccine. I would assume staff and students in this situation would be required to mask and social distance.

Edited by mxray