Eastern Virginia Medical School 2020-2021 Cycle

On 5/26/2021 at 2:56 PM, patobe82 said:

This is my 4th cycle applying  I was waitlisted last year and I think the only denials that may be sent is for the people who don't qualify because of missing requirements in their application. 

EVMS sends out interview invitations in cycles 3 to be exact. So in cycle one you get an invitation lets says you decline. Then another student will be picked for the 2nd round of interviews. EVMS ranks their candidates on a point basis. The first round of interviews goes out to the students who have enough points for an interview. If they decline the next round will be picked until all the interview spots are filled usually 170 or so. So it would not make sense to decline other applicants, because they don't know how many will decline unless they didn't finish all requirements for their application. This would be the only reason to get a denial letter in my opinion.  After all the interview slots are filled then they send denial emails. The same is true for interviews and acceptances. You get a score for your interview and application they rank them send out the acceptances and then denials after all spots are filled or your picked for the waitlist like I was which is at the recommendation of the faculty. Hope this helps

Best of luck to you this round! Was last year your first year getting an interview? 

Thanks for the helpful info!

On 5/19/2021 at 8:53 AM, somerskm said:

Just driving myself crazy with this forum! Anyone have any updates? I know we probably won't hear anything for another 2-3 weeks but I'm still curious.

Hi there! 

Current student here. You will not hear any correspondence until at least the first week of June which is right around the corner 🙃

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 10:18 PM, Klhurt said:

Unfortunately, I was declined for an interview. Stats: 1st time applying, cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.5, PCE 23,000+ as an Athletic Trainer and also a clinical and surgical assistant to orthopedic surgeon with numerous other experiences. 

Best of luck to everyone!! 

On 5/26/2021 at 2:56 PM, patobe82 said:

This is my 4th cycle applying  I was waitlisted last year and I think the only denials that may be sent is for the people who don't qualify because of missing requirements in their application. 

EVMS sends out interview invitations in cycles 3 to be exact. So in cycle one you get an invitation lets says you decline. Then another student will be picked for the 2nd round of interviews. EVMS ranks their candidates on a point basis. The first round of interviews goes out to the students who have enough points for an interview. If they decline the next round will be picked until all the interview spots are filled usually 170 or so. So it would not make sense to decline other applicants, because they don't know how many will decline unless they didn't finish all requirements for their application. This would be the only reason to get a denial letter in my opinion.  After all the interview slots are filled then they send denial emails. The same is true for interviews and acceptances. You get a score for your interview and application they rank them send out the acceptances and then denials after all spots are filled or your picked for the waitlist like I was which is at the recommendation of the faculty. Hope this helps

You can get a declination letter for more than just not meeting the requirements. Applications are point based and ranked to qualify. 

• Like 2

I'm a little worried about my last 40 credit GPA calculation. I completed 14 additional credits that weren't verified by CASPA since they were in progress at the time. I read the admission guidelines and made sure to update them as complete with final grades on my CASPA application before March and submitted an updated transcript to my PURL so they can verify it. But my PURL says "incomplete application" even though I got a confirmation email saying I met all the requirements. I don't even have the checklist on my PURL. What I'm worried about is they won't see my uploaded transcript and won't calculate those newest grades. Any insight or advice would be amazing! 

30 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I'm a little worried about my last 40 credit GPA calculation. I completed 14 additional credits that weren't verified by CASPA since they were in progress at the time. I read the admission guidelines and made sure to update them as complete with final grades on my CASPA application before March and submitted an updated transcript to my PURL so they can verify it. But my PURL says "incomplete application" even though I got a confirmation email saying I met all the requirements. I don't even have the checklist on my PURL. What I'm worried about is they won't see my uploaded transcript and won't calculate those newest grades. Any insight or advice would be amazing! 

Hi! Did you happen to send CASPA the official transcript for those 14 additional credits that you took? CASPA can only verify courses once according to the AAPA rules. I think as long as you have the official transcript sent to CASPA then you should be okay! 

3 hours ago, paddybibi said:

Hi! Did you happen to send CASPA the official transcript for those 14 additional credits that you took? CASPA can only verify courses once according to the AAPA rules. I think as long as you have the official transcript sent to CASPA then you should be okay! 

I did submit an official transcript with those new courses to CASPA too, but I don't think it changes anything? Like you said CASPA only verifies once when you first submit. I think I should be okay, but I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience 🙂 

14 hours ago, Gemini said:

I did submit an official transcript with those new courses to CASPA too, but I don't think it changes anything? Like you said CASPA only verifies once when you first submit. I think I should be okay, but I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience 🙂 

Hi! Current student here! If you sent the updated transcripts through your PURL by the deadline then I wouldn't worry since you submitted them at the proper time. Also last year the majority, if not all of us went from having a complete checklist on the PURL to and incomplete one around this time. As long as you received an email from the school that your application was complete then you should be good to go! 

16 hours ago, JthePrePA1 said:

Should we know something from admissions next week?

Last year we started hearing the second week of June about interviews

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 4:21 PM, WakadanPA said:

Hey y'all!

What does everyone's welcome message in your PURL state?

Mine has changed from"we've forwarded your app to the committee" back to "congrats, we've received your application". My document upload tab is also no longer in the drop-down menu.

Just curious if anyone else has seen any changes.

Thanks!

Mine did the same thing.  After seeing other responses, I'm not worried about it. Thanks for asking the question!

Best of luck to everyone! 

I was originally c/o ‘23, but due to an absolutely freak accident, I’m on a medical leave of absence and will be restarting in January! 

Can’t wait to meet you all! Be sure to keep an eye on this forum after interviews, as I will make a private FB group for our class only! C/O ‘23 did this and it was so wonderful getting to know everyone, having zoom meet and drinks, game nights, etc., prior to starting classes! 

Hang in there! I know how anxiety provoking this can be. Lots of changes will happen on the PURL that mean a whole lot of nothing while things are in process. 

xx, Lauren 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, LaurenR19 said:

Best of luck to everyone! 

I was originally c/o ‘23, but due to an absolutely freak accident, I’m on a medical leave of absence and will be restarting in January! 

Can’t wait to meet you all! Be sure to keep an eye on this forum after interviews, as I will make a private FB group for our class only! C/O ‘23 did this and it was so wonderful getting to know everyone, having zoom meet and drinks, game nights, etc., prior to starting classes! 

Hang in there! I know how anxiety provoking this can be. Lots of changes will happen on the PURL that mean a whole lot of nothing while things are in process. 

xx, Lauren 

I’m so sorry to hear you had to take a medical leave of absence but so excited we could potentially be classmates! Thank you for cheering us on! And the private FB group is a wonderful idea!

All the best 💜

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mgprepa25 said:

Is there a way to update PCE and shadowing hours? On my PURL there is a spot to ask a question and I asked there but I haven't heard anything. Or is it too late to update since we should be hearing back in a week? Thanks in advance for any feedback!! 

I think it's too late to update new info. They've already chosen selectees for the interview. Just wait for the date to send out emails..

Edited by edmmusic2009

24 minutes ago, paddybibi said:

Anxiously waiting and refreshing emails 😅

I just checked. First wave went out on June 9th last year. Not sure about the others, but I think they’re only a few days apart. I interviewed July 14th and my offer of admission was sent on July 25th. 

hang in there! you’re so close! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mgprepa25 said:

Is there a way to update PCE and shadowing hours? On my PURL there is a spot to ask a question and I asked there but I haven't heard anything. Or is it too late to update since we should be hearing back in a week? Thanks in advance for any feedback!! 

I’d email PAPROG@evms.edu and just send a nice email with the additional hours. It certainly won’t do any harm! 

13 hours ago, mgprepa25 said:

In reference to PCE hours, the admissions handbook states that there is no need to update the program with new hours for experiences that were included in your CASPA application and listed with no end date. For any NEW experiences that occurred after your CASPA submission, I'd follow the directions under "Updating Experiences" in the admissions handbook. It says to upload the information onto your PURL and provides a bullet list of what to include. 

I hope this helps!

27 minutes ago, LaurenR19 said:

I just checked. First wave went out on June 9th last year. Not sure about the others, but I think they’re only a few days apart. I interviewed July 14th and my offer of admission was sent on July 25th. 

hang in there! you’re so close! 

Aw thank you so much for checking girl!  appreciate it ❣️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustaPAdreamer said:

In reference to PCE hours, the admissions handbook states that there is no need to update the program with new hours for experiences that were included in your CASPA application and listed with no end date. For any NEW experiences that occurred after your CASPA submission, I'd follow the directions under "Updating Experiences" in the admissions handbook. It says to upload the information onto your PURL and provides a bullet list of what to include. 

I hope this helps!

I can't seem to find the area to Update Experiences. Could you please direct me where in my PURL I can find that? Thank you!