Eastern Virginia Medical School 2020-2021 Cycle

Hello all! 
I have already applied to through CASPA this cycle not realizing EVMS doesn’t do rolling admissions. 

I was hoping to retake a few prerequisites. 

1. Does anyone know if they accept online labs? 
2. Will they even look at my retaken prerequisites if I have already submitted through CASPA? 

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question... I emailed EVMS but they haven't responded yet. 

Is it frowned upon to update your CASPA? I submitted my application in September and would like to update it with by adding my new job and additional PCE hours. Do they consider these updates? I also don't want to make too many updates, so should I wait closer to March before updating it? 

When I do update CASPA, how does it look to schools? 

Thank you! 

On 11/3/2020 at 10:51 PM, fancypants said:

Quick question... I emailed EVMS but they haven't responded yet. 

Is it frowned upon to update your CASPA? I submitted my application in September and would like to update it with by adding my new job and additional PCE hours. Do they consider these updates? I also don't want to make too many updates, so should I wait closer to March before updating it? 

When I do update CASPA, how does it look to schools? 

Thank you! 

I do not believe it is frowned upon to update CASPA, I would think if it was frowned upon they would not give the option to update after submitting your application. I also think it would not be frowned upon since every school has a different process for going through applications (rolling admissions vs non-rolling) as well as deadlines. I personally updated CASPA after submission and I do not think it hurt me. People get new jobs, shadowing hours, volunteer opportunities, etc. all the time. I don't think it looks one way or another on CASPA. I would think it shows that you updated your application and that is all.

I really think it is up to you as to how often you want to update CASPA. If you're applying to multiple schools that have rolling admissions as well as schools that do not, I would keep your application as up to date as possible. In regards to EVMS they do not look at applications until after the March 1st deadline. They also sent an email after submitting the application with a link to a personal URL (PURL). On the PURL there were links to upload new documents. I had to update a transcript this way since I finished a class after the March 1st deadline and I wanted them to see the verified grade. I would assume they are using this again this year. Hope this helps some.

10 hours ago, mxray said:

I do not believe it is frowned upon to update CASPA, I would think if it was frowned upon they would not give the option to update after submitting your application. I also think it would not be frowned upon since every school has a different process for going through applications (rolling admissions vs non-rolling) as well as deadlines. I personally updated CASPA after submission and I do not think it hurt me. People get new jobs, shadowing hours, volunteer opportunities, etc. all the time. I don't think it looks one way or another on CASPA. I would think it shows that you updated your application and that is all.

I really think it is up to you as to how often you want to update CASPA. If you're applying to multiple schools that have rolling admissions as well as schools that do not, I would keep your application as up to date as possible. In regards to EVMS they do not look at applications until after the March 1st deadline. They also sent an email after submitting the application with a link to a personal URL (PURL). On the PURL there were links to upload new documents. I had to update a transcript this way since I finished a class after the March 1st deadline and I wanted them to see the verified grade. I would assume they are using this again this year. Hope this helps some.

Wow, thank you for that. You're right. Maybe I was thinking too much. 

I just wanted to update my experience and PCE hours since I've been working. 

I didn't get the PURL... which email would that be in? 

I received the "application received" email 9/4 and don't see the PURL in that. 

Thank you so much! 

8 hours ago, fancypants said:

Wow, thank you for that. You're right. Maybe I was thinking too much. 

I just wanted to update my experience and PCE hours since I've been working. 

I didn't get the PURL... which email would that be in? 

I received the "application received" email 9/4 and don't see the PURL in that. 

Thank you so much! 

I understand thinking too much, been there done that 🙂. This process is daunting and you always want to make sure you're putting your best foot forward. That's why I like this forum, because there are are people that can give advice and help us not overthink!

In regards to the PURL, I did not receive an email with the link until January. The link will come in a separate email. 

I did find this information on their website under admission consult:

"Due to the volume of applications we are processing, consultations are not able to be offered on a scheduled basis...

For specific questions about an application or clarification about information found in either location, please click this link to obtain a personalized URL (PURL) and be connected to an admissions representative. Applicants that email the PA Program or the Admissions Directors will be directed to connect to an admission representative via their PURL."

If you don't want to wait for them to send out the link, it looks like you can click the above link and get your PURL link sent to you; that way you can update on their as well.

Edited by mxray

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I'm a NJ resident enrolled in a Special Master's Program and am Considering on applying to EVMS. I have a few questions regarding the "Qualifying GPA" and just prerequisites if anyone knows how to interpret that. Would the replacement GPA be calculated based on the last 40 credits taken inclusive of Graduate-level coursework or just Undergrad? Also, can I submit the application with an outstanding prereq? Really appreciate the input.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my email of completed application and will hear in June. So far away but excited to see the progress! 
I applied October. The purl link has a application checklist so it’s helpful they added that to see if we need to address anything missing from our application to get it to the review committee 

Edited by Ucscaly

6 hours ago, Nlimo said:

I am thinking to apply to this program. Think it's too late?

No it is not too late. EVMS doesn't utilize rolling admissions, the application deadline is March 1st, 2021. They review all applications after March 1st, 2021 and will send out all interview invites in June.

Edited by mxray

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2020 at 11:58 PM, GCF2020 said:

Has anyone ever had a grade replacement with a upper level biology class, for Developmental psychology?

Hello! This is not allowed. EVMS specifies which prerequisites are required for consideration for admission. I’d reference this: https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/health_professions/mpa_program/pdfs/EVMS_MPA_Admissions_Guidebook_2020-2021.pdf as it’s very thorough! 

On 11/17/2020 at 6:19 PM, Mohmay23 said:

Hi, 

I'm a NJ resident enrolled in a Special Master's Program and am Considering on applying to EVMS. I have a few questions regarding the "Qualifying GPA" and just prerequisites if anyone knows how to interpret that. Would the replacement GPA be calculated based on the last 40 credits taken inclusive of Graduate-level coursework or just Undergrad? Also, can I submit the application with an outstanding prereq? Really appreciate the input.

Hello! 

Qualifying GPA is one of three: 

1) cumulative undergrad GPA

2) cumulative graduate GPA if applicable  

3) replacement GPA - lost 40 credit hours 

If your last 40 hours are graduate hours then that counts! They’ll take your highest.

All prerequisites must be complete at time of submission. 

Link to the admission guidebook: https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/health_professions/mpa_program/pdfs/EVMS_MPA_Admissions_Guidebook_2020-2021.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 12:59 PM, Noodlesgirl said:

Hey guys I have a question for you all

I plan on applying this cycle and I need to retake A&P 1, do you guys think its best to submit my application now or wait until I am done retaking anatomy 1? Also my CASPA application is already verified but with the old grade I have for anatomy1. What is the best advice you guys have for me?

Most schools allow you to apply to their program without having all your prerequisites completed at the time of application, but according to MyPAbox, EVMS requires you to have all your pre-reqs completed before applying. I would suggest taking A&P before your application date so you can be sure they average your retake score with your old one--instead of only counting your old grade. Hope this helps! 🙂