Eastern Virginia Medical School 2020-2021 Cycle

22 hours ago, Reuvan said:

Current student, accepted last year. We're excited to meet (virtually) the new interviewees. I'd like to answer questions for anyone waiting for an interview, but as you might realize my time is very pre-occupied with school. That said, I want to offer some insight if I can. Feel free to ask about more than just interviews too. Could be about anything like our cadaver lab, covid policies, or our school's free clinic. I may not have answers to everything, but I'll do my best.

We plan to have a Q&A session for pre-PA applicants on July 8th. It will be open for anyone, not just interviewees. We'll be answering questions and talking about our experiences getting into PA school and attending EVMS. I would like to see some of you there and meet you (again virtually unfortunately).

Thank you! I have to an interview July 16 but cannot join the July 8 session. Can you give us any hints about the format and tips on how to best prepare? This will be my first PA school interview!

@AWoold my invite came through PURL and I registered for an interview directly on there. I believe, as a result,, I never received an email for an interview invite.... I read previous comments and I think that is how it works.. a lot of people didn't respond in their PURL so they could get the official email. 

Would any current student on this forum from last cycle (since interviews were virtual then also) be open to providing insight on their interview day experience? I've seen the interview day agenda but I had some questions. I see that each group on interview day has an Interview 1 & an Interview 2. Is each interview with one on one or does one interview have it where you interview with a faculty member and the other a PA from the community, etc.? Did you feel the entire process was pretty laid back overall or stressful? What is the mentorship committee exactly? How do you like the campus? Anything you wish you knew before starting PA school in general and at EVMS that you wished you would've known prior?

thanks for any feedback provided

4 hours ago, DOCRAH said:

Would any current student on this forum from last cycle (since interviews were virtual then also) be open to providing insight on their interview day experience? I've seen the interview day agenda but I had some questions. I see that each group on interview day has an Interview 1 & an Interview 2. Is each interview with one on one or does one interview have it where you interview with a faculty member and the other a PA from the community, etc.? Did you feel the entire process was pretty laid back overall or stressful? What is the mentorship committee exactly? How do you like the campus? Anything you wish you knew before starting PA school in general and at EVMS that you wished you would've known prior?

thanks for any feedback provided

Hello! 

Without providing too much, you’ll have two individual interviews with a faculty member and a community PA. The membership committee is compromised of current students in c/o ‘23. There’s 8 of them. They’ll be available on interview day to ask questions and just chat with. 

Best of luck! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Khmedic08 said:

My purl isn’t displaying the tab that says “PA Interview information”, but I registered for my interview and got a confirmation email. Is anyone else missing that tab? 

On your PURL you need to change/unhide your 2020-2021 application from “hidden”. (It had the icon of an eye and you toggle around until it says unhide or something like that). That gave me the tabs which showed the PA interview information etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luke92 said:

On your PURL you need to change/unhide your 2020-2021 application from “hidden”. (It had the icon of an eye and you toggle around until it says unhide or something like that). That gave me the tabs which showed the PA interview information etc. 

Thank you! I will try that now. 

On 6/11/2021 at 9:22 PM, mollyf said:

Thank you! I have to an interview July 16 but cannot join the July 8 session. Can you give us any hints about the format and tips on how to best prepare? This will be my first PA school interview!

Be yourself. It's really cliche but it holds a lot of truth. I remember I shared a story about how I always help people who look like their struggling to carry groceries out to their car. Immediatly after I worried that it was too simple/silly and that I should have come up with a better example - it ended fine obviously. It can be helpful to prepare some stories/experiences beforehand for different questions you might expect. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Very disappointed to say the least that I didn’t receive an interview. Are the people who received invites and signed up yesterday the first wave?

Have the second wave of interviews also went out?

Does anyone know if the CASPER test is significant enough to make a difference? I answered honestly but not long answers.
Thank you,

Miranda 

4 minutes ago, mderoosl said:

Very disappointed to say the least that I didn’t receive an interview. Are the people who received invites and signed up yesterday the first wave?

Have the second wave of interviews also went out?

Does anyone know if the CASPER test is significant enough to make a difference? I answered honestly but not long answers.
Thank you,

Miranda 

Second wave has not gone out. First wave has 72 hours to accept! Do not give up hope! 

CASPER is weighted in the applicant score and can be significant enough to make a difference. That is an ethics/moral “test” and they want to see the you. 

I agree the test asked hard, but good questions. I’ve heard people say they spent time on increasing their typing speed for the test. I felt it was more important to work on my critical thinking and prioritizing my thoughts quickly verses writing quickly. Since we don’t get scores, I wonder how it’s graded. 

Thank you for the update on interview invites. Staying positive…

Thank you,😊 

• Like 2

Hi All!

I have not received an email(is it through email or puurl?) hearing back & have heard that there are "3 waves" of interviews.

When are the 2nd and 3rd ones usually announced?

Should I feel somewhat relieved I have at least not gotten a rejection? Have those already gone out? Do those go out in waves as well?

*nervous local who has no clue* eeeekkkk lol

4 hours ago, KH757PA said:

Hi All!

I have not received an email(is it through email or puurl?) hearing back & have heard that there are "3 waves" of interviews.

When are the 2nd and 3rd ones usually announced?

Should I feel somewhat relieved I have at least not gotten a rejection? Have those already gone out? Do those go out in waves as well?

*nervous local who has no clue* eeeekkkk lol

Generally the PURL updates first with the notification of the interview invite and then an email follows. If it's like last year, if you signed up for the interview before the email came you didn't get an email. 

Interview invites go out about every 72 hours as that is how long they give you to respond to the invite. For us last year first wave went out on June 9th and third wave went out on June 16th. 

I would stay hopeful if you have not gotten a rejection! That means there is still a chance. I'm not exactly sure how/when rejections get sent. I know based on posts on this thread that some rejections have already been sent out. I don't know if any others have been sent out since no one has said anything. But as long as you have not received a rejection don't lose hope! 

• Like 2