Site Medical COVID-19 Screener

Anyone know if PA schools would likely accept a Site Medical COVID-19 screener as patient care experience? This role requires the employee to take temperatures and assess for COVID-19 symptoms. I would think it would not count as experience, as you may be just interviewing patients and probably the only direct-care tasks you would be able to do is take temperatures, but I believe (I could be wrong) scribes have almost no direct patient care experience and some PA schools accept that. I emailed some schools, have not heard back yet. I am a candidate towards accepting this job and I would like to do it on the condition that it would count. What are your thoughts? Is this a gig not to take? Would it diversify my 'resume' for PA school? Thanks!  

1 hour ago, Heme0291 said:

Anyone know if PA schools would likely accept a Site Medical COVID-19 screener as patient care experience? This role requires the employee to take temperatures and assess for COVID-19 symptoms. I would think it would not count as experience, as you may be just interviewing patients and probably the only direct-care tasks you would be able to do is take temperatures, but I believe (I could be wrong) scribes have almost no direct patient care experience and some PA schools accept that. I emailed some schools, have not heard back yet. I am a candidate towards accepting this job and I would like to do it on the condition that it would count. What are your thoughts? Is this a gig not to take? Would it diversify my 'resume' for PA school? Thanks!  

From what I have heard on here is that it would not really count. I guess it would be school specific. Also, you are just asking from a list if they have been experience any of the symptoms listed. Not really sure you would be "assessing' patients. I would still try to wait for schools to reply. Hopefully it'll count and you can accept it.

I also feel like this would not necessarily be a good choice for patient care. Screening doesn't require any medical training whatsoever, so even on the off-chance a school accepts the experience as patient care, it absolutely would not be considered competitive. Many schools assign points to an application based on level of responsibility and technical skill set. So yes, things like scribing are accepted at some programs, but they are rated at the bottom of the totem pole when compared to CNAs, techs, nurses, etc. If it's your only option for PCE right now I'd take it because it's better than nothing, but I would still be actively pursuing  more competitive experience if I were in your position.

• Upvote 1