Anyone that has gone or is in Northwestern University!

• 4 weeks later...

hello! I am a current student at northwestern and love love love the program! I'm not sure how the interview process is going to work this year. I know last year we had 3 individual interviews one on activities, one on academics and one on diversity. we also had a group interview simulating the PBL process which just helps show you how PBL works and see if it's something you think is a good fit for you. You'll go on a tour of campus (library, lecture halls, anatomy lab and do lunch with some current students). As for what they weight most.... They're looking for well rounded individuals. Having health care experience is beneficial but there are a handful of students in my class that are straight out of undergrad. I'd say having a personality and being a people person is huge. Our program director keeps telling us that he only has us for 2 years to teach us everything we need to know about medicine, and with all of that information crammed into such a small amount of time he doesn't have time to teach us a personality. I think they also look at how you will fit into the program. There has to be a great dynamic in the class in order for the PBL to be successful. Just be yourself and make sure you check out PBL so you know that Northwestern is right for you! If you have any other questions let me know :) Good Luck!

• 2 months later...
Guest fedrigoa

Hi DancingNancy18,

I have an interview at Northwestern on Jan 24th, I was wondering if you had any advice or could give me any helpful information regarding the interview process. How many people are usually interviewing together and how long did you typically spend in your individual interview. Also, we have to give a writing sample, was this something new or did you have to do this at your interview? This is my first interview so any advice would be a great deal of help!!

Thanks so much!

• 8 months later...

Problem based learning, or as wake forest now calls it CPS, clinical problem solving. In a nut shell, It's similar to what you see in "House" - you've got students set up around a table, asking each other questions, determining how to access the patient, and what they thing may be the diagnosis, etc. It's real world based/group learning rather than lecture based learning.

• 5 months later...
do you find that PBL works more effectively than lecture-based learning? I've only experienced that, as well as probably everyone else in undergrad. What do you think about it?!

If i remember correctly the PANCE rates were about the same for PBL method vs traditional teaching method but the PBL method was less stressful on the students. Also everyone has different learning styles so this may work really well for some people and for some it may not.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi queenofhearts, so hopefully this answer a few of your questions

schedule: varies, but for the most part we start 8-9 and end around 3 with an hour for lunch. There are definitely days where they pack in extra classes and we are there 8-5, but not everyday. They want you to be "available" 8-5 M-F, but realistically this whole time is not filled up

Rotations: Everywhere in the Chicago area. Don't expect them all to be a Northwestern as they try to give you many different experiences. Some sites are pretty far and students opt to live in that area for the 4 week rotation instead of making the commute.

Admissions: They look at the whole person. Seems our class has a lot of cultural experience and international missions/studying abroad/etc. Our actual health care experience ranges (some <1 yr, some straight out of undergrad, some with years of experience, some as second careers). I really don't think they place TOO much of an emphasis on this....its more about your life experiences, you as a whole, and how you fit in with the University. Grades and GRE...no idea as I don't know grades/GRE of my classmates.

Let me know if you have more questions, I know when I was applying I wished more current students would write on these boards to help answer questions and guide decisions.

Thisisme,

Thanks so much for responding to this thread! If you don't mind, where do most of the students choose to find apartments or rooms to rent? I'm interviewing at Northwestern next week, but I wanted to start doing some homework as far as how much I can expect to pay each month in terms of living expenses. I understand Chicago is one of the most expensive cities in the country to live in, so how do the students manage that? Just take out school loans and figure you'll recoup the cost afterwards? Also, have you started your clinical rotations yet? Are the students expected to arrange clinical rotations, or is that something the school takes care of? I'm not from the Chicago area, so I'm not sure I would even know where to start if the students are required to arrange that themselves.

So yeah living is expensive. I would say about 2/3 to 3/4 of the students live right around campus (called Streeterville), while the rest live somewhere in Lakeview/Lincoln Park/Old Town. Regardless of where you live its expensive and I think most students just use loans and bite the bullet. Once you interview and hear back...if you get in you'll be added to a facebook group where you can discuss in more detail living ideas/arrangements etc. Regarding the rotations, Northwestern sets those up. You give them your preferences and then they tell you where you go. I'm not a second year, but from what I hear you may not find out until last minute...so flexibility is desirable :-) Good luck on your interview!

Beattie228,

Would you be willing to share your stats for admission? Even a private message would be great.....my email is chrisballinger_atc@yahoo.com. Im in the process of finishing my supplemental application and didn't realize interviews are starting already! As far as living arrangements, it is expensive but there are some gems scattered around the northside (I've lived here my whole life). Lincoln square or ravenswood are great neighborhoods and are close to CTA trains and buses.

• 3 months later...

Archived