Afraid of not getting in.

We all aspire for a profession within the healthcare field, preferably as a Physician Assistant. Due to the competitiveness of the program, many people do not matriculate each cycle. I am not going to lie, the thought of not being accepted to PA school I do find overwhelming. How do you guys tackle this fear? My fear is not being accepted and spending money on a bunch of courses then ended up getting rejected each application and being in debt. Rightfully so, it is competitive because PA is a mid-tier specialty and is not an entry-level profession. I guess I find it scary that if I was not to get accepted I would be a phlebotomist making minimum wage my entire life? I apologize if this thread appears as 'mopy' or somber, that is not my intent. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone else directly who aspires to pursue a career in the PA health profession, so that is why I am asking here and I do not know how else to communicate my concerns with anyone else. 

I do appreciate the enthusiasm on these threads and the mutual support. It is beneficial to see non-traditional students (LOVE hearing those in 30's, 40's, and even 50's) matriculate to PA school. I find it so inspiring. It keeps me motivated. But I guess I should channel this fear into action? It's difficult to find a PA to shadow during current pandemic conditions. 

Thank you for your input guys! 

We're in this together. Looking forward to hearing from everyone else. This will be my first time applying. It is indeed overwhelming, but I try my best to look for the silver lining. If we don't believe in ourselves, no one else will. Also, a rejection does not make you any less and should serve as motivation! Are you applying this cycle as well? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smbold said:

We're in this together. Looking forward to hearing from everyone else. This will be my first time applying. It is indeed overwhelming, but I try my best to look for the silver lining. If we don't believe in ourselves, no one else will. Also, a rejection does not make you any less and should serve as motivation! Are you applying this cycle as well? 

No, I am not actually! I have some pre-req courses to finish. I recently finished phlebotomy school and finding a job is difficult. I don't have PCE hours (yet) and this puts me at a disadvantage because I think attempting to accumulating PCE hours now is probably the worst time to do it. I'm doing my best. I just graduated College with a B.S. in Health Sciences, summa cum laude but deciding on the PA-route was a recent switch of mine. But I'm thinking about the future ahead. I agree we are all in this together. I hope you get accepted! Keep me posted on your journey friend. 

Old guy here.

You're already not in PA school so, if you apply and don't get in, you'll be no worse off than you are right now. Living your life without taking shots at things you want is not the recipe for a "good" life. Life tends to work out for people who get out of their comfort zones and try new things. 

It's easy to fall into the trap, but never think that you are "destined" to do anything for "your whole life." Doors swing open at the most amazing of times...especially for those who push on them now and then.

Best wishes!

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Old guy here.

You're already not in PA school so, if you apply and don't get in, you'll be no worse off than you are right now. Living your life without taking shots at things you want is not the recipe for a "good" life. Life tends to work out for people who get out of their comfort zones and try new things. 

It's easy to fall into the trap, but never think that you are "destined" to do anything for "your whole life." Doors swing open at the most amazing of times...especially for those who push on them now and then.

Best wishes!

Love the quote "Never think you're destined to do anything your whole life". That is such a powerful quote! Thank you. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 8:03 PM, Heme0291 said:

No, I am not actually! I have some pre-req courses to finish. I recently finished phlebotomy school and finding a job is difficult. I don't have PCE hours (yet) and this puts me at a disadvantage because I think attempting to accumulating PCE hours now is probably the worst time to do it. I'm doing my best. I just graduated College with a B.S. in Health Sciences, summa cum laude but deciding on the PA-route was a recent switch of mine. But I'm thinking about the future ahead. I agree we are all in this together. I hope you get accepted! Keep me posted on your journey friend. 

You are not on your own here, I’m in the same boat! Graduated with my B.S. in biological sciences in May and planned on getting some PCE as a phlebotomist when I graduated, but can’t seem to find a job even though I’m already a licensed phlebotomist. I’m trying to figure out what other jobs I could do in the meantime to gain PCE but I’m not sure where to turn. I’m assuming COVID is what’s making it tough to find a job right now. Good luck!! 

Keep your head high and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel. The PA school application process and also PA school in itself is a marathon where perseverance is key. I had very poor grades after graduating from undergrad where I spent 3 years taking and retaking up to 50 credits of classes including taking some extra recommended courses. I shadowed, did research and worked as well to get PCE hours. I kept track and had more then the required recommendation letters. I also felt the fear of not achieving my goal of becoming a PA and letting others down during that time period. It is a normal feeling but keep in mind that failing does not define who you are as a individual.

I was rejected by all the schools that I applied to during my 1st cycle, it was not until the second application process that I was accepted and now practicing as a PA for 3 years.  Keep a laser focused attitude and grind out any opportunities that you can that would give you an edge in the application process. Have a short term and long term plan for tackling and excelling at every criteria on the application. It is also wise to do some light research into a backup profession for the long term plan.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, MadisonJ said:

You are not on your own here, I’m in the same boat! Graduated with my B.S. in biological sciences in May and planned on getting some PCE as a phlebotomist when I graduated, but can’t seem to find a job even though I’m already a licensed phlebotomist. I’m trying to figure out what other jobs I could do in the meantime to gain PCE but I’m not sure where to turn. I’m assuming COVID is what’s making it tough to find a job right now. Good luck!! 

Let me know what you end up doing for PCE! I need ideas LOL. 

You state you still need some Prereqs - which one and how many (quoting you as spending a lot of money on a bunch of classes). 

Have a plan and a backup plan.  If you are taking a lot of courses, which ones of these could apply to another degree, even a minor degree  however something that could open up another door? 

I didn't realize I wanted to be a PA until closer to graduating my undergrad.  The good thing was most of the Prereqs were already taken.  Only needed 2 classes to meet most schools (Med Term and additional Psych course).  I contemplated Orgo II to open up a few ore applications, however decided not to in order to save money (would have if offered a spot prior to having to take the class).

I understand the situation and potential frustration of taking classes that may not lead anywhere.   However my father always told me to take calculated risks.  If you want to better yourself, you need to put yourself out there.  Don't shoot for the moon if you have never left the ground.  Look deep inside and ask yourself - Is the investment worth the risk?  If I do take these classes and not make it to being a PA, how can I use these classes to better myself.  Is my back up plan worth the risk?

I've seen people shoot blindly and miss....I've watched others take calculated approaches with positive gains.  Lay things out, have your top shot and back up plan.  Calculate the risk and assess.

Good luck.....

Personal note:  I was on my third application cycle, ready to give this dream up and viewed my "investment" in the CASPA applications as hedging a long shot...This was going to be my last attempt and started looking at other options with my credentials.   Went from 1 interview (cycle 2) to 8 interviews of 11 applications with multiple acceptances.   So glad I did not give up.

• Like 1

I think that many of us relate, if not most of us! It is a big commitment for something that ends up largely beyond our control. My experience to share is that I got all prepared and felt that I had a really strong application package last year, then didn’t get ANY interviews. I was pretty devastated, despite knowing that it takes many folks several tries to get in. (It took one friend 5 years!) However, now in retrospect I see that my application was not as strong as I thought, and I was not ready. The healthcare experience I’ve gained in the past year since then has been invaluable, and I feel so much more prepared for this career now. I don’t know if I’ll get in this year or not, but I think the best we can do is to keep growing, keep expanding breadth of knowledge & experience, and keep developing into a more attractive candidate. Good luck to you. (And all of us!)

On 7/3/2020 at 5:44 PM, Heme0291 said:

We all aspire for a profession within the healthcare field, preferably as a Physician Assistant. Due to the competitiveness of the program, many people do not matriculate each cycle. I am not going to lie, the thought of not being accepted to PA school I do find overwhelming. How do you guys tackle this fear? My fear is not being accepted and spending money on a bunch of courses then ended up getting rejected each application and being in debt. Rightfully so, it is competitive because PA is a mid-tier specialty and is not an entry-level profession. I guess I find it scary that if I was not to get accepted I would be a phlebotomist making minimum wage my entire life? I apologize if this thread appears as 'mopy' or somber, that is not my intent. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone else directly who aspires to pursue a career in the PA health profession, so that is why I am asking here and I do not know how else to communicate my concerns with anyone else. 

I do appreciate the enthusiasm on these threads and the mutual support. It is beneficial to see non-traditional students (LOVE hearing those in 30's, 40's, and even 50's) matriculate to PA school. I find it so inspiring. It keeps me motivated. But I guess I should channel this fear into action? It's difficult to find a PA to shadow during current pandemic conditions. 

Thank you for your input guys! 

I felt the same way when I applied this round. I have been a medical scribe making minimum wage for the last year and a half while I took some online courses and increased shadowing and volunteering. I submitted my applications back in May and already had two interviews. Waiting on their results as we speak. Don't let the fear of rejection and other people stats keep you from getting your dream! we are all in this together. 

I have gotten to shadow the PA's I work with while scribing in ER so if you get a job in the hospital, there are so many providers that LOVE students to shadow them. Before I worked in the ER, I went to my dad's follow up surgical appointment to track down the surgical PA. Asked her right in the appointment after she helped my father of course! Get creative and certainly turn your fear into action!

First of all the fact that you haven't even applied and you're worried about getting in is actually a good thing. If you're worried about something it means you care.

You sound like me 5- 7 years ago. I almost did the phlebotomy route, did my externship and was like I can't do this the pressure to never miss a vein and also the ergonomic issues was offputting so I add a few more courses and have done my PCE as an MA. 

Before I got a job as a medical assistant, PCE was my main issue (now it's my expiration of classes go figure!). I could not find a job straight out of college anywhere (and this was pre-COVID) but finally I found a home health care company that was so desperate they hired me as a home health aide without experience and that's how I got some PCEs. Also for a while volunteering was my "full time job" prior to that (I volunteer at 4 different hospitals slightly crazy). I say as much as working for a home health care company sucks I feel like they would be the only one hiring phlebotomists right now if anything so I would stay try that option for PCE's. Again volunteering is hard because of COVID-19 but I know there are some PA applicants who tried local shelter, food banks etc so that's something to try. 

Also if you can I would try to connect with some PAs. First see if you can shadow any of time (hard with COVID-19 I know) and if not social media/instagram has a lot of them. I've never personally dmed any of them on there but supposedly they'll answer. One thing I love about my experience with PAs is that most of them are willing to help foster pre-PA students because they are really passionate about profession. 

Again to not bore you with personal details as stressful as it was a few years ago, I am actually in such a good place to apply right now that I wouldn't change anything about my past because it will make me a good PA so as cheesy as it sounds just knows that everything happens for a reason (and hint hint you can use it for your personal statement when you finally do apply lol)

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely understand the anxiety and fear of not getting into school and this whole investment of time, money, hard work, etc being for naught.  I'm a "non traditional" Pre-PA currently taking prerequisites and should be able to apply next cycle.  I'm also in my 30's, pursing PA as a second career/profession.  I've been a clinical Social Worker in the medical field for 11 years and am ready for a change, challenge and advancement.  I always have that slight worry in the back of my mind of not getting in.  However; every time I catch myself thinking that way, I immediately turn the thought around and say "yes, I'm going to get in, I'm going to be a PA!".  Keeping the vision strong that all will go well and success is meant to be.  I got a 4.0 in my Master's Program, around a 3.5 for Undergraduate, have a 4.0 in my science pre-reqs so far (knock on wood), have 22,000 Healthcare/Patient Care Hours, getting some volunteer work under my belt and have folks willing to write LOR's.  So far, things are looking promising.

I also have a "PA Mentor" who I discovered online.  I think there are a few PA Mentor websites where an actual PA helps others get into school, gives suggestions about the Personal Statement, provides interview techniques, motivation, boosts morale, etc.  These services do cost so if you're in a good financial position, it might be money well spent.  Just a thought and another helpful resource.  I personally find my mentor to be very helpful, supportive and encouraging.  He's always there if I need him.