Taking a leap of faith with new job

Wondering if anyone has taken a job which offered less money than they were previously making but it ended up benefitting more in the long run? I was laid off a few months ago due to covid, was paid decently despite living in a very low paying area for PAs. Not only is it lower paying area but good jobs are very hard to come by where I live and there’s no chance of moving as my spouse has a job here. I’ve come across an opportunity to work for a practice similar to my last one, same hours but the salary is significantly less. There are opportunities for bonus which I’m still waiting to hear what that entails so that would help bring it up a bit but the Dr won’t budge on the salary. Other benefits are decent and schedule is good. I feel like this could be a long term position and that he would look at me as more of an equal and he even said he wants us to have a good long term working relationship and if I work hard it’ll pay off so while I’m not happy about the salary I feel like it would be a leap of faith that’ll it be good for me long term. Would you take it even though you would be taking a pay cut? I’m talking like 15k less without the bonus. He did say I would get an increase after 12 months which would be in writing but he didn’t say how much. Thanks!

Edited by pennpac
Typo

I've left jobs to make less money, and my father (who turns 100 next week) did the same. Neither of us were disappointed in the long run. It was always for a goal we wanted, not because it was our only option.

Two observations:

1. I don't think it would have worked for me if I felt taken advantage of from day 1, which I'm afraid is what I think you're saying between the lines. If you think this new boss might have you over a barrel and is taking advantage of your being out of work, then that's a wound that can fester.

2. With due respect to the last poster, feeling like you have no other choice in life is not a great place to be. Nothing about you has to be "the new norm." You probably have more flexibility than you know. Sure, the world -- on the average -- is not a great place right now but you are just one person in need of just one job and how you do is more influenced by what actions you take than it is the unrelenting weight of "that's just how it is." 

Some options to consider: Changing specialties. Going off a distance and working 7 days on and 7 days off as a hospitalist PA in another town. Augmenting the new job with a side gig teaching. Seeing if it wouldn't just be better for the family situation for both you and your spouse to move. (In past generations, that last option happened literally all the time.)

Bottom line: Don't let yourself feel trapped. That's when things go south in a hurry. You always have options.

Edited by UGoLong
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, UGoLong said:

I've left jobs to make less money, and my father (who turns 100 next week) did the same. Neither of us were disappointed in the long run. It was always for a goal we wanted, not because it was our only option.

Two observations:

1. I don't think it would have worked for me if I felt taken advantage of from day 1, which I'm afraid is what I think you're saying between the lines. If you think this new boss might have you over a barrel and is taking advantage of your being out of work, then that's a wound that can fester.

2. With due respect to the last poster, feeling like you have no other choice in life is not a great place to be. Nothing about you has to be "the new norm." You probably have more flexibility than you know. Sure, the world -- on the average -- is not a great place right now but you are just one person in need of just one job and how you do is more influenced by what actions you take than it is the unrelenting weight of "that's just how it is." 

Some options to consider: Changing specialties. Going off a distance and working 7 days on and 7 days off as a hospitalist PA in another town. Augmenting the new job with a side gig teaching. Seeing if it wouldn't just be better for the family situation for both you and your spouse to move. (In past generations, that last option happened literally all the time.)

Bottom line: Don't let yourself feel trapped. That's when things go south in a hurry. You always have options.

It’s not that I necessarily feel trapped, it does seem like a good practice and the doctor and I did click and I feel like he has a similar practice style to me, I guess I’m just annoyed/frustrated that he won’t pay me what I used to make but maybe he just wants to see that I’m worth it and will work hard 

It’s not that I necessarily feel trapped, it does seem like a good practice and the doctor and I did click and I feel like he has a similar practice style to me, I guess I’m just annoyed/frustrated that he won’t pay me what I used to make but maybe he just wants to see that I’m worth it and will work hard 

Maybe, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

I took a large pay cut last year.  My opportunity to get out of patient care came along and I took it.  No debt so I was able to make the move.  No regrets at all.  Plus this position offers health insurance down to 3 days per week so hoping to continue into retirement.    If you can afford it do it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mayamom said:

I took a large pay cut last year.  My opportunity to get out of patient care came along and I took it.  No debt so I was able to make the move.  No regrets at all.  Plus this position offers health insurance down to 3 days per week so hoping to continue into retirement.    If you can afford it do it.

do you mind me asking what field you moved into?

On 6/27/2020 at 11:38 AM, pennpac said:

Wondering if anyone has taken a job which offered less money than they were previously making but it ended up benefitting more in the long run? I was laid off a few months ago due to covid, was paid decently despite living in a very low paying area for PAs. Not only is it lower paying area but good jobs are very hard to come by where I live and there’s no chance of moving as my spouse has a job here. I’ve come across an opportunity to work for a practice similar to my last one, same hours but the salary is significantly less. There are opportunities for bonus which I’m still waiting to hear what that entails so that would help bring it up a bit but the Dr won’t budge on the salary. Other benefits are decent and schedule is good. I feel like this could be a long term position and that he would look at me as more of an equal and he even said he wants us to have a good long term working relationship and if I work hard it’ll pay off so while I’m not happy about the salary I feel like it would be a leap of faith that’ll it be good for me long term. Would you take it even though you would be taking a pay cut? I’m talking like 15k less without the bonus. He did say I would get an increase after 12 months which would be in writing but he didn’t say how much. Thanks!

Well...let me trot out my favorite old trope. The more you limit you options the more you limit your options. If you are tied to a specific location or want a specific specialty or both your options are limited. If you open your mind to new possibilities something is more likely to shake loose.

I too am tied to my current, mostly rural, area because we are looking after aging parents. I have been on furlough for 3 months and our service line isn't likely to open back up. I'm just hanging out waiting on my benefits to run out and them to pay severance. I have looked at everything I was remotely qualified for in the area (and somethings I'm not) without much luck.

Someone on this board sent me a PM and asked if I had ever considered a remote position such as the north slope in Alaska. At first I just sort of blew it off but the more I thought about it the more curious I got. He connected me with 4 different companies and one had a need that I was well suited for and at the end of July I fly to Alaska to start my first rotation. It is 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off. Bottom line is I'll be making what I was at the urgent care (with benefits) with no Press-Gainey scores, no patient satisfaction surveys, and mountain of administrators telling me how to practice medicine, all while working half a year.

This isn't a job for everyone but my point is if you really open up your mind something may shake loose. Also network network network. After all this time I reached out to everyone I used to work with who had been furloughed. In addition to the job I got I also got 2 good interviews locally just based on a friends referral or information.

Do what you have to do to pay the rent but don't settle too fast. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tough call

somedocs just want to make money off you and just don’t care.  They will talk but never pay you.....

I would say a good written signed contract is essential.  Then Everything you do must be attributed to you.  And you need access to the billing/collections.   
then have a reasonable bonus structure. Agreed in writing.  
basically prove your worth, let the doc make some money, but get a good salary and bonus. 

2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Well...let me trot out my favorite old trope. The more you limit you options the more you limit your options. If you are tied to a specific location or want a specific specialty or both your options are limited. If you open your mind to new possibilities something is more likely to shake loose.

I too am tied to my current, mostly rural, area because we are looking after aging parents. I have been on furlough for 3 months and our service line isn't likely to open back up. I'm just hanging out waiting on my benefits to run out and them to pay severance. I have looked at everything I was remotely qualified for in the area (and somethings I'm not) without much luck.

Someone on this board sent me a PM and asked if I had ever considered a remote position such as the north slope in Alaska. At first I just sort of blew it off but the more I thought about it the more curious I got. He connected me with 4 different companies and one had a need that I was well suited for and at the end of July I fly to Alaska to start my first rotation. It is 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off. Bottom line is I'll be making what I was at the urgent care (with benefits) with no Press-Gainey scores, no patient satisfaction surveys, and mountain of administrators telling me how to practice medicine, all while working half a year.

This isn't a job for everyone but my point is if you really open up your mind something may shake loose. Also network network network. After all this time I reached out to everyone I used to work with who had been furloughed. In addition to the job I got I also got 2 good interviews locally just based on a friends referral or information.

Do what you have to do to pay the rent but don't settle too fast. Good luck.

That is fantastic! Living proof of my comment: Don't let yourself feel trapped. That's when things go south in a hurry. You always have options.

Does the physician own the practice?  In rural areas they may not be making the money like you think.  I had a similar situation where I got laid off due to downsizing a group practice and found a job with a physician but needed to take a cut in pay.  The physician and I hit it off and practiced similarly.  It was the best working relationship I've ever had.  While I took the cut in pay because I needed a job, I also kept track of the financials of the practice.  There were some periods of time I made more money than the physician because in a rural area and dealing with insurance companies can be financially unstable for the practice.  If the physician is really looking for a long-term relationship they should be willing to renegotiate when things are more financially stable.

• Upvote 1