Digital Stethoscopes

Too much to tinker with and if you’re not in cardiology or hard of hearing, highly unnecessary. One cool feature is the ability to record otherwise it’s just overkill in my opinion. I use a Littmann master cardiology, never looked back. My digital is in storage now. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Marinejiujitsu said:

Anyone have or try a digital stethoscope. I have seen the EKO core keep popping up in my feeds.

I had my fire department buy one of the Littmann ones for one of our EMTs who is hard of hearing.  She loves it; I tried it and it sounded OK to me... but I'm not the one who's hard of hearing.

• Like 1

I got one and used it for 2 days.  It marked up my coat, and was not better (in my opinion).  I had to turn it on every time, and it was more "clunky".  Was a gift from someone who didn't like it.  One of the docs I work with who has terrible hearing likes his.   I think they have a place, and those in that place like it.  The rest of the people I have talked to like the traditional stethoscope.    

I did not like my eko.  To much ambient noise.  I still use my Littmann that I got 5+ years ago.  It is showing its age and is missing a few buttons but works great.  Not impressed with eko and only use it as a last resort when my electronic Littmann or cardiology STC can't be found. 

I use an Eko Duo and it serves its purpose... single lead ECG recognition on the fly. I use it mainly when dealing with critical patients in the early stages. Works reasonably well as an amplified digital scope and if contacts are good, murmurs can be pretty slick. Helpful with bedside POCUS to get a better picture of what’s going on. 

Acoustically though, I still rely heavily on my Master Csrdiology. Have had it for 2 decades. Hasn’t failed me yet (minus 2 tube changes due to sweat on the neck...)

If you don’t want the ECG component (it really is a limited function... and an expensive one at that) and aren’t hard of hearing, stick with a high end acoustic scope. They never need batteries 😉

G

I have a Littman 3200 and I hate it.

I’ve had it for a year. It took me about two weeks to re-learn how to hear heart and lung sounds because it picks up so much ambient noise from patient movement, the rustle of clothes, the grip of my fingers. I am not HOH, so I have to turn it way down or it hurts.

Now, I just find it irritating to constantly have to turn it on or replace the battery all the time. The listening piece is weirdly textured and sticky. I have to clean it a lot and I’m sure the wipes didn’t do it any favors. I also *still* frequently accidentally press the button to switch to the bell and it takes more than a second to switch back.

• 1 year later...