Caspa gpa

It's not too hard to calculate it yourself if you want to know before CASPA officially does it. You can set up a simple spreadsheet to add up the earned credit hours and divide by the total possible hours, then multiply by 4 for the total & each grouping. You just need to follow CASPA's methodology (ie, semester hours and only "whole" grades - A not A- or A+). If you want, I could send you the spreadsheet I set up as an example. I was within +/- 0.01 of CASPA's calculation.

It's not too hard to calculate it yourself if you want to know before CASPA officially does it. You can set up a simple spreadsheet to add up the earned credit hours and divide by the total possible hours, then multiply by 4 for the total & each grouping. You just need to follow CASPA's methodology (ie, semester hours and only "whole" grades - A not A- or A+). If you want, I could send you the spreadsheet I set up as an example. I was within +/- 0.01 of CASPA's calculation.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to explain here, but it does not sound like how CASPA does GPAs. They don't use whole grades only and I'm not sure what this divide by 4 thing is. The best explanation is here: https://portal.caspaonline.org/applicants2013/faq/gpas.htm under "How does CASPA calculate my GPA" and "How do I calculate my GPA on my own?"

Also, there is a thread on this forum where a member developed a program to figure it out which seems to work pretty well for most people.

What I was trying to briefly explain was that the CASPA calculation is actually very simple to do on your own; essentially, if you took a total of 120 semester hrs on a 4.0 scale, then your max possible quality points would be 480 (120 * 4). Just divide actual, earned quality points by the 480 in this example and multiple by 4 would give you an overall GPA that includes all classes taken, regardless if there were any repeated courses. Just be sure to follow the CASPA methodology (ie, semester hrs, etc.), and its a very simple calculation. Input the data in Excel, and one can use lookups and pivot tables, along with basic formulas, to produce the same charts as shown in CASPA.

I was not aware of another program developed by someone else.

Archived