Scholarships on CASPA

Hello Everyone, 

I am finishing up my achievements section under CASPA and I have a lot of scholarships to include. I have more than 15 scholarships, some merit based and some need based. I don't know if I should include dollar amounts on the description. Some are as small $500 and some as high as $35K. I'm not sure the amounts are appropriate or relevant. I am honestly very proud of all of them because even a couple bucks helped me a great deal so I'm okay with listing. What is your take on this? 

I don't think the amounts are relevant; while having scholarships is certainly something to be personally proud of (and every dollar certainly helps) think of it from an ADCOM's standpoint. They are likely looking for named, significant items which will tell them something about you as an applicant. For example, if you were a Rhode's or a McNair Scholar or went on a Watson Fellowship, that kind of thing.

Edited by Allegro
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, ydochoa22 said:

Hello Everyone, 

I am finishing up my achievements section under CASPA and I have a lot of scholarships to include. I have more than 15 scholarships, some merit based and some need based. I don't know if I should include dollar amounts on the description. Some are as small $500 and some as high as $35K. I'm not sure the amounts are appropriate or relevant. I am honestly very proud of all of them because even a couple bucks helped me a great deal so I'm okay with listing. What is your take on this? 

Hello!

I added the amounts (none larger than $2,000) as I did not know what else to place in the description box other than writing the information requested in the boxes above it in sentence form: "I was awarded $M through a grant by The University of XYZ, for LMNOP reason, spring 2013."

I too feel proud of them as I received them for my work during graduate school, but I am inclined to also believe that the actual amount is irrelevant, so I get your dilemma. I would say do what feels natural to you and keep it ALL consistent--type the monetary value for all or none at all. My "two cents" of course, haha. Good luck 🙂 

• Like 1