Texas starting to shut down again...

Native born Texan here.

No surprise at the backpedaling.

A Lt Gov who says the elderly should sacrifice themselves and a spineless governor who would follow anything the WH told him to do..... seriously - no surprise. 

I am in Washington and folks are protesting mask requirements as a violation of their rights. 

Can't fix stoopid.... folks just don't get it. We have NEVER faced anything like this before and personal "liberties and rights" are on hold due to PUBLIC HEALTH issues.

The US will have to adopt and enforce and actually BELIEVE in PUBLIC HEALTH before any of this changes.

Yes, I am glad to be employed and being paid (at the VA) - and I am very high risk and wear a mask and stay home. NOTHING in life is worth me or my family dying from this.

Wish I knew what would make folks believe in this thing....

==================================================================================

News Excerpt: TEXAS COVID SURGING

"New cases, hospitalizations and the percentage of positive tests have been on the rise for weeks, indicators that the coronavirus is spreading rapidly. Since late May, the average number of newly reported cases each day has more than doubled to about 3,500, up from 1,500. That is not just the result of more testing: The percentage of tests coming back positive has soared from 4.5% to about 9%. Hospitalizations are also on the rise.

Texas has surpassed more than 100,000 cases, joining a small club of only six other states to do so — New York, California, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts and Florida. On Wednesday, Texas hit another milestone, recording more new cases in a single day than it has since the pandemic started— more than 6,200 new infections.

Wednesday brought another turnabout. Texas had previously ordered all air travelers arriving from New York, with its then-booming number of cases, to quarantine for 14 days. But on Wednesday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York turned the tables and announced that travelers from Texas and eight other hard-hit states would have to quarantine there."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I still want someone to explain how it is their "constitutional right" to not be told to wear a mask.  Just came back from America's amusement park with free admission...WallyWorld.  Got a loaf of bread and saw a elementary school kid with mask around neck, mom with no mask, and others without same.  Majority of those I saw had masks on thank goodness.  Now >60, A+ blood type, and not interested in spending money at a hospital (DNR BTW).

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Native born Texan here.

No surprise at the backpedaling.

A Lt Gov who says the elderly should sacrifice themselves and a spineless governor who would follow anything the WH told him to do..... seriously - no surprise. 

I am in Washington and folks are protesting mask requirements as a violation of their rights. 

Can't fix stoopid.... folks just don't get it. We have NEVER faced anything like this before and personal "liberties and rights" are on hold due to PUBLIC HEALTH issues.

The US will have to adopt and enforce and actually BELIEVE in PUBLIC HEALTH before any of this changes.

Yes, I am glad to be employed and being paid (at the VA) - and I am very high risk and wear a mask and stay home. NOTHING in life is worth me or my family dying from this.

Wish I knew what would make folks believe in this thing....

==================================================================================

News Excerpt: TEXAS COVID SURGING

"New cases, hospitalizations and the percentage of positive tests have been on the rise for weeks, indicators that the coronavirus is spreading rapidly. Since late May, the average number of newly reported cases each day has more than doubled to about 3,500, up from 1,500. That is not just the result of more testing: The percentage of tests coming back positive has soared from 4.5% to about 9%. Hospitalizations are also on the rise.

Texas has surpassed more than 100,000 cases, joining a small club of only six other states to do so — New York, California, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts and Florida. On Wednesday, Texas hit another milestone, recording more new cases in a single day than it has since the pandemic started— more than 6,200 new infections.

Wednesday brought another turnabout. Texas had previously ordered all air travelers arriving from New York, with its then-booming number of cases, to quarantine for 14 days. But on Wednesday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York turned the tables and announced that travelers from Texas and eight other hard-hit states would have to quarantine there."

We have had virus kill 10,000's of thousands per year per the CDC (it is called the flu). 

Sorry, but my rights and liberates are not on hold, if you think your face mask is going to protect you then wear it. Is this another herd immunity theory? Come on, you should no better that these mask are not protecting us from the virus. Would you wear any of these mask (non-respirators) into a room with a patient with possible Covid or TB (air borne diseases)? This is not our best defense and there is no EBM to even back your claims on this....if you can smell anything through that mask you are wearing them you can get Covid. Why do we get fit tested for the N-95s?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

6 hours ago, Cideous said:

‘Cause none of them politician types gonna tell me what to do!  This is ‘Mercia, I do what I want no matter how many people I kill....,

Ok...act professional. I am one of the rural, country folks and that stupid mask will not save you, wear a respirator around 24/7 then we can talk plus eye protection and gloves and gown....wear the same thing you would wear around anyone with Covid... yes my rights were fought for and not I am not being told I must wear a mask. Whats next? What I should eat, listen to, who I should worship, what day I should worship.... 

• Downvote 13

34 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

Ok...act professional. I am one of the rural, country folks and that stupid mask will not save you, wear a respirator around 24/7 then we can talk plus eye protection and gloves and gown....wear the same thing you would wear around anyone with Covid... yes my rights were fought for and not I am not being told I must wear a mask. Whats next? What I should eat, listen to, who I should worship, what day I should worship.... 

What you eat and who you worship won't spread a potentially deadly virus to others, wearing a mask will help to slow the spread and is the least we can do for each other as humans.  There ya go.

Edited by Cideous
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

We have had virus kill 10,000's of thousands per year per the CDC (it is called the flu). 

Sorry, but my rights and liberates are not on hold, if you think your face mask is going to protect you then wear it. Is this another herd immunity theory? Come on, you should no better that these mask are not protecting us from the virus. Would you wear any of these mask (non-respirators) into a room with a patient with possible Covid or TB (air borne diseases)? This is not our best defense and there is no EBM to even back your claims on this....if you can smell anything through that mask you are wearing them you can get Covid. Why do we get fit tested for the N-95s?  

You are going to come at people talking about being professional? 10,000's of thousands? Rights and liberates? Come on...what does that even mean? I was born and lived in rural WV so you don't get a pass.

You have a tendency to pop up every now and then with some weird stuff, so it's funny hearing you talk about EBM.  But...here's some Lancet for you.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

And a lovely letter to the editor of the European Respiratory Journal

https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/early/2020/04/27/13993003.01260-2020

Any more sources are on you. That took me around 30 seconds.

Masks are designed to not only provide some help for the individual wearing it, but even more so for those around them. Preventing transmission by up to 56% in one study.  I'm assuming if you are actually in healthcare then you will understand that. 

Would you not mask up in the OR? Or if you had viral symptoms and continued to see patients? Or if you were going in to see a patient who had a VRI?

And yes, working in the ICU I do wear a simple mask while managing COVID+ patients in the absence of aerosolizing procedures.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

I have heard about these Russian trolls attempting to create divide and turmoil via social media and message boards.  I cannot believe they felt the physicianassistantforum important enough to send one of their agents!  🥳

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

You lack critical thinking skills. When was the last time the flu killed over 100,000 Americans in 3 months? COVID-19 is a brand new virus that no one has immunity to, spreads easily, no vaccine, and has a mortality rate higher than the flu.

You're right, the masks are not protecting us from the virus. But they help reduce the spread. It's more for the protection of others, rather than yourself. Do you care so little about your fellow Americans that you won't even be mildly inconvenienced to help protect others?

What rights are you talking about? Where in the constitution does it say you have a right to be a disease vector in the middle of a deadly global pandemic? I bet you bitched an moaned about the economy reopening, and now that it's open you can't even wear a mask to help reduce the risk of it shutting down again. Do you have a right to walk around naked? Do you have a right to drive around without a seat belt? To have your child drive around without one? No? I thought so.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Yup... I'm Texas and just got back from getting a haircut while wearing a mask and my barber wearing a mask. It is going to be new normal for a long time. 

Sad about elective procedures getting cancelled but not surprising.

Here is the REALLY sad part.... bars were shuttered again at noon. 

I remember an old Chinese curse....may you live in interesting times.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CJAdmission said:

That'll save a few lives, at least. 

Not really, would probably just increase the incidence of unsafe backalley abortions. If Texas wanted to reduce unwanted pregnancies they should do so with real sex education (not abstinence only BS) and easy/free access to contraception.

"The State of Texas does not require any sex or HIV education to be taught in public schools, yet if a school chooses to teach these topics, it is required to emphasize abstinence until marriage1. There are no requirements about specific content, including medically accurate information about contraception."

The disdain for us stoopid deplorables by a bunch of sanctimonious so-called liberals is ridiculous.

This was on my radar in January, in Feb we stocked up our pantry & other supplies.  In March I was telling my friends this looked like it was going to be really, really bad.  Rates were going to be doubling every 2-3 days, we were going to run out of hospital beds and vents, we would all know someone who dies from this.  Pulled my kid from daycare.  Showered/changed before leaving work. Social distance, wear a mask. The n value of this was estimated to be as high as SIX, airborne, lingers on hard surfaces for 3 days...we were ALL going to get it, and maybe 2.2 MILLION Americans were going to die from it.  

Hospital volumes/utilization crashed, hours/pay crashed.  Few friends lost their businesses, many family/friends lost their jobs.  I have a little niece who needs an elective surgery so she doesn't wind up in a wheelchair...it's been delayed indefinitely as she continues to struggle to walk.  A friend died and the family couldn't have a funeral because social distancing, and then because of fear of rioters.  The economy is in the tank because we shut everything down. Meanwhile I see thousands of rioters not wearing masks, and there is a bunch of public health idjits who sign a letter saying that it's okay for these folks to stand next to each other and scream because, you know...politics.

Come June I have not admitted a single COVID-19 patient to the hospital, and have only had a few patients who have tested positive but have mild symptoms.  I don't know anyone who has died from this.  I encourage elderly to socially distance and wear a mask when they go to the store/etc.  Otherwise life goes on as pretty normal for us here.  Masks are off, kid is back in daycare, I'm not showering/changing/disinfecting before leaving the ED.

The US has had 120K+ deaths, but 43% of them have been nursing home deaths, mostly in states where the governors ordered the nursing homes to take COVID-19 patients back.  Yeah, and liberals want to think Republican governors are stupid....all 5 governors who ordered this were Democrat. (In all honesty, I understand their reasoning, however it's funny how that is mostly ignored by the media).

We crashed the economy and cancelled spring as a national goal of preventing our hospitals from being overwhelmed and having 2.2 million deaths.  We have accomplished this.  The curve has been flattened.  Will there be outbreaks and bumps here and there?  Yes.  This is a novel virus and is going to go through the population no matter what we do (unless we get an effective vaccine).  We can obviously take some steps to slow it down (like social distancing, wearing mask), or speed it up (rioting), but unless we get a vaccine or reach herd immunity, it's going to keep spreading.  When there is an outbreak or bump, we should all increase our social distancing/masks/etc to spread that bump out.

But how bad is it really?  The media scares us daily with the new numbers.  In the county I live in we have over 500,000 people.  There are just over 350 active cases per the health department.  The next county over, where I work, has 70K people, and there are 12 active cases.  And this is despite a massive increase in recent testing that has resulted in mostly young, asymptomatic people testing positive.

23 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

You lack critical thinking skills. When was the last time the flu killed over 100,000 Americans in 3 months? COVID-19 is a brand new virus that no one has immunity to, spreads easily, no vaccine, and has a mortality rate higher than the flu.

I've read some data that shows it's mortality rate may be as low a 0.1-0.3%, lower than influenza.

Want to tell me I lack critical thinking skills?  You won't like my response.....

23 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

Where in the constitution does it say you have a right to be a disease vector in the middle of a deadly global pandemic?

Here is where you lack constitutional understanding.

The Constitution does not list what our rights are.  Instead it clearly defines what the government CANNOT do.  And you just conflated not wearing a mask with being a disease vector like Typhoid Mary when there is conflicting data on how infective non-symptomatic people are.

1 hour ago, AbeTheBabe said:

The State of Texas does not require any sex or HIV education to be taught in public schools, yet if a school chooses to teach these topics, it is required to emphasize abstinence until marriage1. There are no requirements about specific content, including medically accurate information about contraception."

Good. Let parents teach their kids about sex education.  Or local school districts, with parental involvement, decide if they want to.  And it makes sense to EMPHASIZE abstinence until marriage as this is the best way for young people to avoid pregnancy when single parenthood is the single largest predictor of poverty for women.

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2