Having to choose between 2 schools, HELP!!!

Hello,

I am lucky enough to be in the situation of choosing between 2 schools after 2 years of applying. One of my biggest issues is School A is $15,000 more because its a public school and I will be charged out of state tuition, but feels like a better fit than School B. School A is also only 2 hours away from my family and School B is 9 hours away. School A has a class size of 30 students which was what I was used to at my undergraduate institution and School B is 70 students. I know that cost matters, but at the same time should it be the ultimate factor in my decision? I want as little debt as I can and be able to pay it off in the end, but I also want to be at the school that is the best fit for me. Anyone have any advice?

Hello,

I am lucky enough to be in the situation of choosing between 2 schools after 2 years of applying. One of my biggest issues is School A is $15,000 more because its a public school and I will be charged out of state tuition, but feels like a better fit than School B. School A is also only 2 hours away from my family and School B is 9 hours away. School A has a class size of 30 students which was what I was used to at my undergraduate institution and School B is 70 students. I know that cost matters, but at the same time should it be the ultimate factor in my decision? I want as little debt as I can and be able to pay it off in the end, but I also want to be at the school that is the best fit for me. Anyone have any advice?

I agree with PAMAC. I think the extra cost of tuition would be worth the smaller class size, being close to the family, and the school being a better fit for you. These three things really do make or break your PA school experience, so School A would be worth it.

What I wouldn't give to be 2 hours away from family!

I agree with PAMAC. I think the extra cost of tuition would be worth the smaller class size, being close to the family, and the school being a better fit for you. These three things really do make or break your PA school experience, so School A would be worth it.

What I wouldn't give to be 2 hours away from family!

You're going to be entering a profession that can produce you a salary of around 100,000/yr. 100K divided by 12 (for the months of the year) breaks down to 8,333.33 a month. Or, if you prefer, an estimated gross pay every 2 weeks (100K/26) is 3846.14. 15K/3846 = 3.9 The monetary difference between the schools breaks down to about 4 paychecks (assuming a bi monthly pay day)...just shy of 2 months pay.....2 months pay of a life long career that is best to start with a successful education. Wouldn't it be wise to kick start said career based on school fit, chance of success, and proximity to support?

yes, I realize I posted all those numbers based on pre tax data. I didn't feel like getting into the tax credits for rural practice, or tax credits for education, so on, and so forth. If you can't get my point from what I already wrote then I got nothin'...

You're going to be entering a profession that can produce you a salary of around 100,000/yr. 100K divided by 12 (for the months of the year) breaks down to 8,333.33 a month. Or, if you prefer, an estimated gross pay every 2 weeks (100K/26) is 3846.14. 15K/3846 = 3.9 The monetary difference between the schools breaks down to about 4 paychecks (assuming a bi monthly pay day)...just shy of 2 months pay.....2 months pay of a life long career that is best to start with a successful education. Wouldn't it be wise to kick start said career based on school fit, chance of success, and proximity to support?

yes, I realize I posted all those numbers based on pre tax data. I didn't feel like getting into the tax credits for rural practice, or tax credits for education, so on, and so forth. If you can't get my point from what I already wrote then I got nothin'...

It is $15,000 for the two years. The focus of School A is rural health and I want to practice Family Medicine, particularly in a rural or underserved area. I would like to live in a small town after I graduate and the program did mention that they have affiliation with a couple different places which are really close to my hometown as far as rotations. One of them is even a hospital that is really good about offering sign on bonuses and several of my friends have worked for the organization and have nothing to say but positive things. I am also going to look into National Health Service Corps after graduation as well. The only other thing is they are a brand new program this will be there third class and they have provisional accredidation and are due 2013 for a site visit, but from the quality of the program I don't forsee them being placed on probation or anything like that.

most folks here will probably say to go for the better fit for you. for me, being 2 hours from my family would be a perk (provided they are a source of strenght for you)... so would the fact that the school seems like a good fit, so would be going to the state school (im just more partial to state schools... no real important logic to it that anyone else would probably care about). smaller class size would also be a perk for me. im pretty cost conscious, but 15k is a small number in the big scheme of things. is it 15k times two years, or is it 15k total? in any event, most people owe that much on their car. as a cheap individual, i wouldn't see that as too much of a burdon.

do you know generally where you want to settle down at? if you want to be near where your family is, you could see some benefit from going to school near where you have family. that could give you a place to crash if you manage to land rotations near your family. also, it will give you a place to use as a base when you look for jobs after graduation... one that you know the lay of the land, and can network from. that can make a difference, because you can keep tabs on that employment environment, reputations of facilities, good places to live, good things to invest in.... less of it will seem foreign. 15k could end up being a smaller number than it seems right now if you can save on stress, travel costs, and poor decisions on employment based on being a newby in an unfamiliar town.

It is $15,000 for the two years. The focus of School A is rural health and I want to practice Family Medicine, particularly in a rural or underserved area. I would like to live in a small town after I graduate and the program did mention that they have affiliation with a couple different places which are really close to my hometown as far as rotations. One of them is even a hospital that is really good about offering sign on bonuses and several of my friends have worked for the organization and have nothing to say but positive things. I am also going to look into National Health Service Corps after graduation as well. The only other thing is they are a brand new program this will be there third class and they have provisional accredidation and are due 2013 for a site visit, but from the quality of the program I don't forsee them being placed on probation or anything like that.

most folks here will probably say to go for the better fit for you. for me, being 2 hours from my family would be a perk (provided they are a source of strenght for you)... so would the fact that the school seems like a good fit, so would be going to the state school (im just more partial to state schools... no real important logic to it that anyone else would probably care about). smaller class size would also be a perk for me. im pretty cost conscious, but 15k is a small number in the big scheme of things. is it 15k times two years, or is it 15k total? in any event, most people owe that much on their car. as a cheap individual, i wouldn't see that as too much of a burdon.

do you know generally where you want to settle down at? if you want to be near where your family is, you could see some benefit from going to school near where you have family. that could give you a place to crash if you manage to land rotations near your family. also, it will give you a place to use as a base when you look for jobs after graduation... one that you know the lay of the land, and can network from. that can make a difference, because you can keep tabs on that employment environment, reputations of facilities, good places to live, good things to invest in.... less of it will seem foreign. 15k could end up being a smaller number than it seems right now if you can save on stress, travel costs, and poor decisions on employment based on being a newby in an unfamiliar town.

I am still just amazed to be in this type of situation after applying for 2 years! I think I got your point. :=D: Part of my plan too is to just live as cheaply as possible after graduation and try to get everything paid off as soon as possible. I also plan on looking into National Health Service Corps as part of my options also.

I am still just amazed to be in this type of situation after applying for 2 years! I think I got your point. :=D: Part of my plan too is to just live as cheaply as possible after graduation and try to get everything paid off as soon as possible. I also plan on looking into National Health Service Corps as part of my options also.

I picked a school that was a better fit and had more opportunities but cost twice as much. They ended up kicking in need-based financial aid and it was cheaper than the state school I had considered. Obviously I am really glad I chose based on school and not cost. I'm not saying the financial aid part will happen to you, but if you put money lower on the priority list things tend to work out in the end...

Archived