New Grad General Surgery Salary

I’ve always heard to never accept the initial offer or I’d be leaving $$$ on the table. Offer of $125K for a general surgery position one hour outside Seattle. After reviewing the salary report this offer seems above average (especially for a new grad) and I’m not sure whether I should counter for higher salary or focus on other parts of the offer like CME, sign-on and relocation assistance. Any advice is welcomed. 

12 hours ago, MediMike said:

I would not expect a higher salary than that as a new grad. Unless you're working like 55 hour weeks.

Actually, what is your expected schedule?

I will work M-Th about 40 hours a week and rotate call every 4th week. M-Th mix of inpatient rounding, OR and post op visits in clinic to start.

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2020 at 12:15 AM, Keeghuntsman said:

I’ve always heard to never accept the initial offer or I’d be leaving $$$ on the table. Offer of $125K for a general surgery position one hour outside Seattle. After reviewing the salary report this offer seems above average (especially for a new grad) and I’m not sure whether I should counter for higher salary or focus on other parts of the offer like CME, sign-on and relocation assistance. Any advice is welcomed. 

Congrats! That sounds like a great first job.

Out of curiosity did you use a locums company to find that position? If so which one?