Rough Draft... Penny for your thoughts

Hi all... Just want some opinions or critiquing.. Thank you

In a blur of flashing lights and screaming sirens, my interest in medicine was born. My newborn sister was rushed to the emergency room and diagnosed with a rare blood disorder. We spent countless days with different doctors and my awe for them grew with each visit. I was overwhelmed by the need to know what had happened and what they were going to do to fix it. I knew from that time on that medicine was the path for me.

In 2007 I began working at Denton Regional Medical Center in the emergency room. It was with the start of this new job that I learned of physician assistants and the experiences I encountered in the ER led me to pursue this career. By working so closely with the physician assistants I was able to follow them and see how they diagnosed and reacted to the emergency situations. I value that the PAs in the emergency room have the freedom to act on their own while remaining an integral part of the healthcare team.

One day in the emergency room a very fit middle-aged man came in complaining of chest pain after running a marathon. Sensing the potential danger; I acted swiftly and took him back to an exam room while alerting the nurse and running an EKG. The man was rushed to the catheterization laboratory just minutes later because he had multiple blockages that required multiple stents. His wife found me a few days later to thank me for being so efficient in my work with her husband. I was overwhelmed with the impact my few short minutes had on her and her experience with the hospital. This experience made me realize how the slightest benevolence can make a huge difference to a person. I have worked in the emergency room for over four years and the experiences working there have been tremendous. I have learned how to interact with all sorts of people from different backgrounds and social status’, but one of the most valuable lessons learned from working in the emergency room environment is the ability to converse with people in sometimes life threatening situations. When a person is distressed and anxious it is common for it to be difficult to obtain accurate information. I have learned how to appease these individuals by explaining their care or procedures that are occurring around them. Sometimes a simple gesture such as getting a blanket for a patient will calm them and invoke a reaction that I just made their day. I also have learned that one of the most important things in trauma situations is to remain calm, which see every day in the PAs. Working in the emergency room I learned how important connecting, understanding, and reacting appropriately is in the healthcare profession. The thankfulness that patients express when these things occur is rewarding.

My job in the emergency room is to collect demographic, insurance, and payment information from the patients. Because this information can get very personal, I have gained insight to the lives of these patients. I am able to know their background, their jobs, and their families. One of the most important decision factors for me becoming a PA has been witnessing the concern and thankfulness experienced by the uninsured and underprivileged patients. Their extreme desperation to get help is sometimes over shadowed by their terror of getting the emergency room bill afterwards. Because it is my job to collect payments, I am exposed to this emotional process. By becoming a PA, I hope to help these people get the care they need before a benign medical condition becomes a life-threatening situation.

By shadowing at a local family practice I could see a completely different side of the medical field than what I had experienced in the emergency room. Interactions between the physician assistant and the patient were as if an old friend was meeting for lunch. The PA showed a compassion for the patients that I grew to admire. I felt a need to have these same kinds of relationships with patients in the future. Shadowing in two different fields of medicine, the appeal for the flexibility of the PA profession became that much more appealing to me. The mobility of the PA gives a great opportunity of being well rounded and truly finding your calling in the medical profession

Hi all... Just want some opinions or critiquing.. Thank you

In a blur of flashing lights and screaming sirens, my interest in medicine was born. My newborn sister was rushed to the emergency room and diagnosed with a rare blood disorder. We spent countless days with different doctors and my awe for them grew with each visit. I was overwhelmed by the need to know what had happened and what they were going to do to fix it. I knew from that time on that medicine was the path for me.

In 2007 I began working at Denton Regional Medical Center in the emergency room. It was with the start of this new job that I learned of physician assistants and the experiences I encountered in the ER led me to pursue this career. By working so closely with the physician assistants I was able to follow them and see how they diagnosed and reacted to the emergency situations. I value that the PAs in the emergency room have the freedom to act on their own while remaining an integral part of the healthcare team.

One day in the emergency room a very fit middle-aged man came in complaining of chest pain after running a marathon. Sensing the potential danger; I acted swiftly and took him back to an exam room while alerting the nurse and running an EKG. The man was rushed to the catheterization laboratory just minutes later because he had multiple blockages that required multiple stents. His wife found me a few days later to thank me for being so efficient in my work with her husband. I was overwhelmed with the impact my few short minutes had on her and her experience with the hospital. This experience made me realize how the slightest benevolence can make a huge difference to a person. I have worked in the emergency room for over four years and the experiences working there have been tremendous. I have learned how to interact with all sorts of people from different backgrounds and social status’, but one of the most valuable lessons learned from working in the emergency room environment is the ability to converse with people in sometimes life threatening situations. When a person is distressed and anxious it is common for it to be difficult to obtain accurate information. I have learned how to appease these individuals by explaining their care or procedures that are occurring around them. Sometimes a simple gesture such as getting a blanket for a patient will calm them and invoke a reaction that I just made their day. I also have learned that one of the most important things in trauma situations is to remain calm, which see every day in the PAs. Working in the emergency room I learned how important connecting, understanding, and reacting appropriately is in the healthcare profession. The thankfulness that patients express when these things occur is rewarding.

My job in the emergency room is to collect demographic, insurance, and payment information from the patients. Because this information can get very personal, I have gained insight to the lives of these patients. I am able to know their background, their jobs, and their families. One of the most important decision factors for me becoming a PA has been witnessing the concern and thankfulness experienced by the uninsured and underprivileged patients. Their extreme desperation to get help is sometimes over shadowed by their terror of getting the emergency room bill afterwards. Because it is my job to collect payments, I am exposed to this emotional process. By becoming a PA, I hope to help these people get the care they need before a benign medical condition becomes a life-threatening situation.

By shadowing at a local family practice I could see a completely different side of the medical field than what I had experienced in the emergency room. Interactions between the physician assistant and the patient were as if an old friend was meeting for lunch. The PA showed a compassion for the patients that I grew to admire. I felt a need to have these same kinds of relationships with patients in the future. Shadowing in two different fields of medicine, the appeal for the flexibility of the PA profession became that much more appealing to me. The mobility of the PA gives a great opportunity of being well rounded and truly finding your calling in the medical profession

Archived