Calling Covid-19 patients.

So I work in a small rural community hospital In Arizona that services maybe around 10,000, plus surrounding areas. 
My name is on all orders for Covid-19 testing for those who just walk in and want to be tested.  Which means that the lab is calling me with all positive cases. Which in turn I call the patients and inform them of the result. There has been a lot recently. 

What are some things you are telling your patients when they test positive? Some pts have a lot of questions, which I sometimes have to deflect onto the health department. The county health department in my area calls all positive pts as well and goes through everything with them. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? Things I should and should not be saying?

You should have a patient message/ email template ready to go, with your own summaries of a few key points, and links to your state Dept of Health page and the CDC page. That helps when people have email, or when your EMR system has a patient portal. 

It can also be a little like a talking points summary for when you call people — get used to figuring out the best, clearest, most succinct way to deliver the key points. Wouldn’t hurt to have a letter version you can mail to the patient’s home, after the conversation.

Specifically what kinds of concerns have you run across, that you need help with explaining? It’s a big subject. 

• Upvote 1