EVMS Reputation

Hello,

Speaking as a current student I really have been enjoying the program. Being affiliated with a medical school is a huge plus in my book and we are able to get many guest lecturers who are experts in their particular field on a regular basis. The SP program is an invaluable tool to aid clinical assessment skills, and I don't know of many programs who have them. You won't regret coming here should you be offered and accept a seat in the next class. Good luck.

Hello,

Speaking as a current student I really have been enjoying the program. Being affiliated with a medical school is a huge plus in my book and we are able to get many guest lecturers who are experts in their particular field on a regular basis. The SP program is an invaluable tool to aid clinical assessment skills, and I don't know of many programs who have them. You won't regret coming here should you be offered and accept a seat in the next class. Good luck.

Hello prospective EVMS Students.

The school is very much worth your consideration if you are looking for a program that has things to offer like up to date facilities, instructors with actual clinical practice experience and a great reputation in the academic and local community. I am a current student and I have found EVMS to be a great place to be. Just coming here for your interview you will see that the school will be high on your list for places you want to attend.

As a Norfolk native and current Hampton Roads citizen, EVMS is an awesome school. During the last decade or so, the school has really grown. Though I have visited the campus many times, I am looking forward to an actual tour and hopefully attending this coming January!

Definitely a school that should be on the top of your list. I have also heard that the link with the Medical school benefits the students in all aspects. Super excited!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello prospective EVMS Students.

The school is very much worth your consideration if you are looking for a program that has things to offer like up to date facilities, instructors with actual clinical practice experience and a great reputation in the academic and local community. I am a current student and I have found EVMS to be a great place to be. Just coming here for your interview you will see that the school will be high on your list for places you want to attend.

Sounds like you are very happy with your decision to attend EVMS. From my research I find the school extremely impressive with its strong sense of community and faculty/instructors. In addition to what you mentioned in your past post, what do you like most about your experience? What would you like to see improved? I was hoping to get a student's perspective.

Also as a current student it is difficult to find things to improve on. The school's reputation and the statistics on the pass rate for the PANCE speak for themselves.

I am glad to be here and I feel that the school and the faculty do everything they can to prepare us for our careers and to pass the exam.

If you decide to attend EVMS you will not be disappointed with your decision.

• 4 years later...

Could any current or previous students of the program shed some light on how they liked their time at EVMS? Didactic year, clinicals, etc. Do/did you feel prepared by the program for a future in medicine?

Likes/dislikes/things you wish you knew ahead of time? How was the traditional learning method (lectures, slideshows, power points)

I know it may be a bit expensive, but is it well worth it?

What about the student to faculty ratio, with the large class size.

Thanks!

Past student here.  Overall, it is a very good program with a great education.  Has a very good local reputation - most people in the medical community love the PAs that EVMS produces

The downfalls - it is $$$$$$.  To be honest I'm not sure it's worth the money - if I had to do it all over again I would look for a less expensive program without a doubt.  As I already lived in the area it was the only school I applied to, but in hindsight I would of moved to save money.   All lectures are power point.  The class size has grown significantly since I was there (I think from 55 to 85) which I think is detrimental.  From what I hear from current students the classroom is not big enough to hold all the students so they are split into 2 groups.  There are also not enough clinical sites for all the students.  They had a problem finding sites when I was there and now they have 30 more students to accommodate.  If you plan to stay in the area, the job market seems to be a bit oversaturated and frankly, the pay offered by a lot of places in this area sucks.

If you have an specific questions, feel free to PM me. 

Current PA student here

Yes it is expensive- but worth it. I would come again. 

Lectures are made up of traditional, then some group work, some classes we work on case studies together and we also have some w/ independent projects. 

No we are not split up into 2 groups, we all have lectures at the same time and this includes labs and skills training.

Have no gotten to clinical yet, but EVMS (for both MD and PA) has been making strides to get more sites. Not something I worried about coming in, and it still doesn't bother me now.

I had choices, and I am glad that I chose EVMS.

Current PA student here

Yes it is expensive- but worth it. I would come again. 

Lectures are made up of traditional, then some group work, some classes we work on case studies together and we also have some w/ independent projects. 

No we are not split up into 2 groups, we all have lectures at the same time and this includes labs and skills training.

Have no gotten to clinical yet, but EVMS (for both MD and PA) has been making strides to get more sites. Not something I worried about coming in, and it still doesn't bother me now.

I had choices, and I am glad that I chose EVMS.

Do you feel like you are able to get a wide array of learning experiences to fully understand and retain the info? Or are you purging old info to fill your brain with new course information after each exam?

I know there are programs that are solely either PBL or the traditional didactic style. And I am torn as to which is most suitable for me.

Do you feel like you are able to get a wide array of learning experiences to fully understand and retain the info? Or are you purging old info to fill your brain with new course information after each exam?

I know there are programs that are solely either PBL or the traditional didactic style. And I am torn as to which is most suitable for me.

Since day one, it has been about retaining info and not a binge and purge style. 

Ultimately, how you learn is up to you. We all learn from the classes but then supplement studying the material w/ group studying, individual studying, quizzing, ect. No matter which way you like to learn, EVMS has resources for you to use to be successful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived