Hardin-Simmons University 2020-2021 Application Cycle

On 8/20/2020 at 2:05 PM, Khinder said:

thats good! Well good luck, I hope they send out more interview invites. Has anyone received a rejection email yet? Do you mind going over the interview setting? Who It was with? Any other applicants on the video or just you? Only One person interviewed you at a time? 

I received my rejection email yesterday. I was super bummed because Hardin-Simmons is my top program, but there's always next year! I interviewed with Barbara and Jennifer and it was very traditional and laid back. It was a low stress environment. Hoping I can work on my skills to be better for next year. 🙂 Good luck to everyone who is interviewing!

53 minutes ago, djkaled said:

I received my rejection email yesterday. I was super bummed because Hardin-Simmons is my top program, but there's always next year! I interviewed with Barbara and Jennifer and it was very traditional and laid back. It was a low stress environment. Hoping I can work on my skills to be better for next year. 🙂 Good luck to everyone who is interviewing!

I'm sorry about that. I like your motivation. I havent heard anything no interview no rejection. Good luck!!

I just got my first interview invite this cycle for Hardin Simmons. I'm nervous but excited! I would love to hear from current PA students: 

1) What do you like about the Hardin Simmons PA Program?

2) What resources are available to students to help them succeed in PA school? (ex: tutoring centers, office hours, open lab, student orgs, etc) 

Thank you so much in advance and good luck to everyone interviewing!! 

Edited by kathleenl

7 hours ago, kathleenl said:

I just got my first interview invite this cycle for Hardin Simmons. I'm nervous but excited! I would love to hear from current PA students: 

1) What do you like about the Hardin Simmons PA Program?

2) What resources are available to students to help them succeed in PA school? (ex: tutoring centers, office hours, open lab, student orgs, etc) 

Thank you so much in advance and good luck to everyone interviewing!! 

Hi, I'm a current PA-S2 at HSU! I love our program and the students in my class as a whole so it's hard to break down into the various things I like but I'll do my best. Number 1, faculty..I love our faculty. They go above and beyond to help you succeed but I will say they don't take it easy on you. They want you to represent the program and become the best PA you can, so they will push you, but because we have a smaller class size, they really get to know us personally. With that being said, the smaller class size is a second reason I love our program. It not only allows faculty to really know us, but it allows us as a class to really get close. Sure, each of us have our own friend groups, but we are all very cohesive as a group and really try to help each other out with study tips and sharing things that helped us. A third thing I love is the way our program is laid out. We have fall semester with a month off for Christmas, then Spring and Summer semesters which are tough, but we get a "May-Mester" between these two semesters where it's all online classes so you can take it anywhere and at your own pace. These are all designed to prevent burn-out which is really helpful. Our curriculum also utilizes "layered learning". So we may get a subject in pathophysiology one semester, but will hit that same subject in clinical medicine the next semester and this really helps make sure you learn what you need to. 

As far as resources available to you, it's really all of the above. We had some chances for local PAs to provide tutoring and faculty is available when you need them. We have an entire building and anatomy lab devoted to just PA students and you have 24 hour access to both. This was helpful before practicals in anatomy and for studying on the weekends. 

Hope this helps and good luck with interviews!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Owur23 said:

May I ask what your stats are? Good luck with your interview!

Cgpa: 3.71 sgpa: 3.6 gre:311 pce: 1100 hce: 250 volunteering and leadership: 150hrs shadowing: 21 hrs.

I feel like my stats are pretty average, but I worked really hard on my personal statement:)

16 hours ago, egrace said:

Hi, I'm a current PA-S2 at HSU! I love our program and the students in my class as a whole so it's hard to break down into the various things I like but I'll do my best. Number 1, faculty..I love our faculty. They go above and beyond to help you succeed but I will say they don't take it easy on you. They want you to represent the program and become the best PA you can, so they will push you, but because we have a smaller class size, they really get to know us personally. With that being said, the smaller class size is a second reason I love our program. It not only allows faculty to really know us, but it allows us as a class to really get close. Sure, each of us have our own friend groups, but we are all very cohesive as a group and really try to help each other out with study tips and sharing things that helped us. A third thing I love is the way our program is laid out. We have fall semester with a month off for Christmas, then Spring and Summer semesters which are tough, but we get a "May-Mester" between these two semesters where it's all online classes so you can take it anywhere and at your own pace. These are all designed to prevent burn-out which is really helpful. Our curriculum also utilizes "layered learning". So we may get a subject in pathophysiology one semester, but will hit that same subject in clinical medicine the next semester and this really helps make sure you learn what you need to. 

As far as resources available to you, it's really all of the above. We had some chances for local PAs to provide tutoring and faculty is available when you need them. We have an entire building and anatomy lab devoted to just PA students and you have 24 hour access to both. This was helpful before practicals in anatomy and for studying on the weekends. 

Hope this helps and good luck with interviews!

This was super helpful!! Thank you so much! I actually have another question: What is the teaching style for Hardin Simmons before vs during COVID?

5 hours ago, kathleenl said:

This was super helpful!! Thank you so much! I actually have another question: What is the teaching style for Hardin Simmons before vs during COVID?

Yes, so I was in the middle of didactic when COVID happened and like most schools, we went on Spring Break and didn't come back into the classroom until about a month ago. For us, we transitioned to all online. We were in a class that required us to see patients and write notes, so we had to see simulated patients online. It obviously wasn't ideal, but faculty was doing everything they could to help us learn what we need to for rotations. Our summer semester is a lot of skills so we started this online, but then starting in July we came in person in smaller groups to learn the hands on portions and check-off on them.

Many of the students that were on rotation lost rotations as they did across the country but faculty has worked and put in place certain elective rotations and moved the curriculum around a bit so that they can hopefully graduate on time in December. I will say that HSU has opened it's campus with many online classes, and the class that just matriculated last week is starting in person with social distancing guidelines in place so I don't think much is going to change there for now.

Verified 07/02, interview invite 08/28. Interview scheduled for 09/08. Anyone receive an e-mail asking for a headshot? If so, how professional does it have to be? I have a good headshot photo in front of a brick wall I took for college graduation, but I'm not sure if they want like a blazer with a white background or what... Any help/feedback on this would be awesome.

I got confirmation yesterday and she said I would get the schedule in the next few days.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:09 PM, whatsPAppin said:

I sent a message to the interview email address provided on 8/28 and I have not heard anything yet. I'm assuming its probably because its the weekend. Has anyone received their interview confirmation/schedule?

3 hours ago, whatsPAppin said:

I received my interview confirmation 5 days after the invite and just now i received a professional photo request and another email asking me to sign the student profile page 

I just received the student profile page, but no headshot request. Have you received the interview itinerary yet?