Advice/Opinions

Hello! I am looking for opinions and or advice on my chances this cycle and what I could do to improve my application in the event that I do not get accepted.  I graduated with a low undergraduate GPA and science GPA. I majored in Biology and had a minor in Chemistry. cGPA 3.18    sGPA 3.09

I received nothing lower than a B- my last 4 semesters with the exception of a C in Orgo 1 and a C- in Calc 😞  Most classes were B's and up.

Pre req grades- Gen Bio 1 and 2 = C+   Gen Chem 1=C in lecture and lab    Gen Chem 2= C+ in lecture B- in lab.   Orgo 1= C  Orgo 2= B-

Anatomy 1= A-

Anatomy 2=A

Genetics= A-

Biochemistry= A

Microbiology= B+

Immunology= B+

Medical Terminology= B+

Psychology= A-

English- A

Stats= B-

My upper level science courses are good... I just suck at Chem lol  

24 hours shadowing PA at urgent care and 42 hours shadowing MD at a veterans home. 

CNA- 1,071 hours at a nursing home, 1,284 hours as a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Technician, and 250 hours as a PCA for a girl with a disability. 

CNA and BLS certified as well as TMS certified. 

LOR's from MD I shadowed, MD that I work with, and my current work manager. 

Volunteer- 54 hours at children's hospital, 6 hours screening kids for cardiac issues using EKG's, 24 hours educating public on TMS and Major Depression at 3 different conventions, and spent 1.5 weeks on a medical mission in Haiti. Only extracurricular was being a member of the dance team. 

I panicked and applied to like 20 schools but I plan on taking about 20 more credits to boost my science and overall gpa this summer and through the fall. I am not sure if I should bother retaking Chem because honestly there is a chance I could do worse and I did well in my upper level classes..... 

So please.. is there any chance and what can I do to improve!

Thank you 🙂 

16 minutes ago, paigeinabook95 said:

I think the biggest thing holding you back is chem. I think you may still have a chance this cycle, so don't lose hope. But I would suggest taking chemistry and maybe finding a tutor? Or otherwise trying to do better. It sucks, but schools will want to see that you tackled your "biggest weakness", if you will. Good luck! 🙂

ugh I know... killer. Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it

• Like 1

Everything looks fantastic except for your chemistry grades and your GPA. You have really interesting and diverse patient care experience, shadowing, volunteer work, etc. I may be optimistic but I think if you have a great personal statement, great LORs, and do well in interviews, you definitely have a chance at getting in somewhere. Especially since you applied to 20 programs! 

Regardless, I would definitely agree that you should take more classes to boost your GPA, particularly science courses so you can boost your science GPA. And I get your hesitation to retake chemistry. I had nearly all As for my GPA, but I withdrew from General Chemistry 1, then got a B in general chemistry 1, then got an A in general chemistry 2. It was one of the hardest classes I ever took. But at least you are showing somewhat of an upward trend by getting a B in Orgo 2, and maybe if you retake chemistry now, your foundation will be a lot better the second time around.

If you decide to take chemistry again, prepare AHEAD of time by buying a workbook and doing chemistry problems before the semester even starts. It may seem a bit crazy but that honestly saved my life and made the material much much easier to take in. Instead of all the material being 100% new, it felt like I was learning it for the second or third time, which made it easier to retain and understand.

Edited by Laybunny

8 hours ago, Laybunny said:

Everything looks fantastic except for your chemistry grades and your GPA. You have really interesting and diverse patient care experience, shadowing, volunteer work, etc. I may be optimistic but I think if you have a great personal statement, great LORs, and do well in interviews, you definitely have a chance at getting in somewhere. Especially since you applied to 20 programs! 

Regardless, I would definitely agree that you should take more classes to boost your GPA, particularly science courses so you can boost your science GPA. And I get your hesitation to retake chemistry. I had nearly all As for my GPA, but I withdrew from General Chemistry 1, then got a B in general chemistry 1, then got an A in general chemistry 2. It was one of the hardest classes I ever took. But at least you are showing somewhat of an upward trend by getting a B in Orgo 2, and maybe if you retake chemistry now, your foundation will be a lot better the second time around.

If you decide to take chemistry again, prepare AHEAD of time by buying a workbook and doing chemistry problems before the semester even starts. It may seem a bit crazy but that honestly saved my life and made the material much much easier to take in. Instead of all the material being 100% new, it felt like I was learning it for the second or third time, which made it easier to retain and understand.

Thank you for this!!!