Is there any reason to be concerned about the accreditation status?  Given the September start date, I'm concerned with the risk of turning other programs down and waiting to start in September and then something happens in their accreditation review. It's may be a foolish question given I haven't even interviewed yet.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gotcha! I think I understand now. Yes, the waitlist at this point is just to interview. If the interview date passes then you are out of luck. After the interviews are completed, they will then again

I have some inside scoop that there will be interviews in December! So hopefully we hear from them soon.

Also interviewing dec 17!!! So excited 🙂 Would anyone on that date want to zoom meet before then? I did that with some people for a different school’s interview and it helped significantly for my

8 minutes ago, limd19 said:

Is there any reason to be concerned about the accreditation status?  Given the September start date, I'm concerned with the risk of turning other programs down and waiting to start in September and then something happens in their accreditation review. It's may be a foolish question given I haven't even interviewed yet.

I feel the same way. MGH is my top choice but with their June accreditation review, I’m not sure I could afford to turn down other programs in the scenario that something happens. However, I trust MGH will do everything in their power to maintain their accreditation but it’s still risky. I want to keep an open mind and see what they have to say during the interview because I’m sure they’re going to address it head on. So in short, I don’t think it’s a foolish question because there may be many of us in this same exact position.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:12 PM, cassidyl said:

Also interviewing dec 17!!! So excited 🙂

Would anyone on that date want to zoom meet before then? I did that with some people for a different school’s interview and it helped significantly for my nerves and confidence during the actual day. Just nice seeing some familiar faces on the big day !

I am also interviewing 12/17! So excited!! I am definitely interested in joining the zoom chat if you all decide to do it, please let me know 🙂 I look forward to meeting you all!

On 11/12/2020 at 1:12 PM, cassidyl said:

Would anyone on that date want to zoom meet before then? I did that with some people for a different school’s interview and it helped significantly for my nerves and confidence during the actual day. Just nice seeing some familiar faces on the big day !

I am interviewing on Dec 17th as well and would love to join the zoom call! Please let me know when you guys decide on a day and time! I currently live in California (PST) 🙂

On 11/12/2020 at 4:12 PM, cassidyl said:

I also got an invite to interview 12/17!! I would love to join the zoom meet! let me know the details! excited to meet you guys! 🙂

4 hours ago, ARMANDO411468 said:

Does anyone know if they hold any one off interviews for those that were waitlisted after the dates in December? Or basically we are waitlisted to interview until December 18th?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking whether they will have additional interview dates? If so, the answer is no. Interviews are usually done in one go. Last year we were assigned to one of four sessions over two days and that was it. 

42 minutes ago, staceyk said:

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking whether they will have additional interview dates? If so, the answer is no. Interviews are usually done in one go. Last year we were assigned to one of four sessions over two days and that was it. 

Basically was trying to ask if the waitlist to interview ends after the two dates. I know they only have two interview dates, so I am assuming the waitlist to interview ends there, but I know some schools will occasionally interview a few people after the dates are over. Hopefully that makes more sense! 

33 minutes ago, ARMANDO411468 said:

Basically was trying to ask if the waitlist to interview ends after the two dates. I know they only have two interview dates, so I am assuming the waitlist to interview ends there, but I know some schools will occasionally interview a few people after the dates are over. Hopefully that makes more sense! 

Gotcha! I think I understand now. Yes, the waitlist at this point is just to interview. If the interview date passes then you are out of luck. After the interviews are completed, they will then again accept/deny/waitlist you. I'm a first year student - almost done with our first semester! Last day of classes is today 🙂 We were originally supposed to start May 2020 but were pushed back to September start because of COVID. At least one of our classmates I know of was waitlisted after interview Nov 2019 and accepted July 2020! The year ahead of us someone was invited three days before the start of school. Waitlist is not such a terrible thing.

In regards to accreditation, I am not worried at all. Our program has been super transparent and forthcoming with information. There is a lot of information on their website (https://www.mghihp.edu/pa-program-accreditation-faq) but if you still have questions, definitely bring them up at your interview. They will not be offended.

Just some thoughts on the program overall -- PA school during a pandemic is not what anyone wants (the students or faculty). We are mostly virtual, with some in person sessions for physical exam skills. Our professors constantly solicit our feedback in order to improve the experience and they do try to reduce Zoom fatigue where possible. The best thing by far about this program (besides the faculty) is the team based learning model. We learn the material the night before with an ILM (independent learning module consisting of reading, narrated PowerPoint lectures, and/or other videos). Before class each day we take an individual quiz and then a team quiz (the same quiz but you do it together so you can discuss things). The majority of our classes are then taught in an application-based format. We discuss questions and case studies and apply the material we learned the night before. I won't lie, it is a lot of work to keep up with every night, but by the time final exams come around we usually feel pretty confident. The structure helps a lot with my tendency to procrastinate; knowing I have a quiz motivates me to not get behind!

Also, our teams function kind of like built-in support groups as well, lol. With not being on campus, it can be hard to feel connected with your classmates. In our teams we have people to lean on who understand exactly what we're going through. Your friends and family mean well, but their advice of "you're smart, you'll do fine!" is not helpful when you're having a mental breakdown a few days before your neurology final because you're convinced you know absolutely nothing about strokes. I can't imagine how isolated I'd feel in virtual pandemic school without my team. I am genuinely happy to wake up super early to see them for study sessions before our quizzes! (optional btw)

Good luck to all of you in your interviews!

Edited by staceyk
added info
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, staceyk said:

Gotcha! I think I understand now. Yes, the waitlist at this point is just to interview. If the interview date passes then you are out of luck. After the interviews are completed, they will then again accept/deny/waitlist you. I'm a first year student - almost done with our first semester! Last day of classes is today 🙂 We were originally supposed to start May 2020 but were pushed back to September start because of COVID. At least one of our classmates I know of was waitlisted after interview Nov 2019 and accepted July 2020! The year ahead of us someone was invited three days before the start of school. Waitlist is not such a terrible thing.

In regards to accreditation, I am not worried at all. Our program has been super transparent and forthcoming with information. There is a lot of information on their website (https://www.mghihp.edu/pa-program-accreditation-faq) but if you still have questions, definitely bring them up at your interview. They will not be offended.

Just some thoughts on the program overall -- PA school during a pandemic is not what anyone wants (the students or faculty). We are mostly virtual, with some in person sessions for physical exam skills. Our professors constantly solicit our feedback in order to improve the experience and they do try to reduce Zoom fatigue where possible. The best thing by far about this program (besides the faculty) is the team based learning model. We learn the material the night before with an ILM (independent learning module consisting of reading, narrated PowerPoint lectures, and/or other videos). Before class each day we take an individual quiz and then a team quiz (the same quiz but you do it together so you can discuss things). The majority of our classes are then taught in an application-based format. We discuss questions and case studies and apply the material we learned the night before. I won't lie, it is a lot of work to keep up with every night, but by the time final exams come around we usually feel pretty confident. The structure helps a lot with my tendency to procrastinate; knowing I have a quiz motivates me to not get behind!

Also, our teams function kind of like built-in support groups as well, lol. With not being on campus, it can be hard to feel connected with your classmates. In our teams we have people to lean on who understand exactly what we're going through. Your friends and family mean well, but their advice of "you're smart, you'll do fine!" is not helpful when you're having a mental breakdown a few days before your neurology final because you're convinced you know absolutely nothing about strokes. I can't imagine how isolated I'd feel in virtual pandemic school without my team. I am genuinely happy to wake up super early to see them for study sessions before our quizzes! (optional btw)

Thanks so much for the great info Stacey!!

• Like 2
On 12/4/2020 at 12:09 PM, staceyk said:

This was super helpful, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us Stacey! I am interviewing next week and am so excited since MGH has always been my #1 choice, but I have been a bit nervous regarding the accreditation status and taking classes online during the pandemic. This information made me feel so much better and even more excited for my interview, I really hope I get accepted because MGH seems like an amazing program! 

Thanks again for your post! 🙂 Good luck with the rest of your semester!

• Like 1

Hey everyone! I’ve already contacted some but I don’t want to miss anyone..for those of us interviewing on dec 17, I’ve put together a zoom call that everyone is invited to on Dec 13, 7:30pm EST. Message me if you haven’t already gotten the zoom ID and passcode! Looking forward to meeting you all 🙂

Hey guys! I just received some info for next weeks interviews from the program via Taylor DiJohnson, but it went to my Spam! That has never happened to me so just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Also to piggyback off of the 12/17 interview group, the 12/18 interview group is having their second Zoom Meet Up on Sunday Dec 13th at 12pm! Shoot me a DM and I can get you invited. Getting so excited!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1