2020-2021 Application Cycle

I just received the call today that I am accepted! It is so surreal. Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist!

Sabella57, here are my stats as promised:

GPA: 3.8

GRE: 157 Verbal, 155 Quantitative, 4.0 Writing

PCE: ~1,500 hours as a Physical Therapy Tech

Volunteer: 300+ hours

Shadowing: 0 hours, thanks COVID

Let me know if you are looking for any other info 🙂

As a current student at RMU's PA program, I don't feel right letting other unsuspecting pre-PAs make the mistake of coming here. I can't give too many details for fear of being found out by the program leadership, but this feeling is shared by MANY. It doesn't get better with rotations, that's for sure.

I was warned at my interview but chose RMU due to it's location in the mountains (Utah is sooooo pretty and there's so much to do wit all the national parks!!!) but nearly everything about the school is extremely poor quality at an extremely premium cost.

If you have an acceptance elsewhere, even if you have to move, DO IT. 

14 minutes ago, Terilyn said:

Quite the post coming AFTER interviews and acceptances. Pretty late on the game. Sorry, but it’s difficult to take you seriously without more details. 
As someone who just had family graduate from this program last year with nothing to complain about regarding the program, your comment just seems out of place. My family member has nothing to gain by me attending this school yet encouraged me to go here instead of the other schools I was accepted to. 
maybe things are challenging with the program being online currently, but more details are needed if you’re truly hoping to sway individuals from coming. 

LOL, OK. You'll see. Hope you have better luck than we all did/have. 

Trying to be helpful without ending up with a punitive response from the program. What sort of details do you expect? What could I tell you to convince you? If you're mind is made up, I'm pretty sure the answer is nothing. What the hell could I possibly have to benefit from trying to save you a ton of money and headache, to put it mildy, by telling you to go to another school? Really?? Critical thinking, bruh.

Again, you'll see how PA school - and this program is - when you really start... but hey, I truly love the know-it-all attitude. If you can't take it seriously, that's on you.  When you start PA school, you'll see that you don't have any insight into the process nor timelines of interviewing or acceptances of the incoming cohort, except when you are forced to take applicants to lunch to chat about the PA program, which I guess didn't happen this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 8:08 AM, Terilyn said:

That process actually did happen this year. Your post is coming at a time when students have already given acceptances and turned down other schools. Classes start on 5 weeks. Which, as a current student, you should know. So your post, however true it may be, is completely unhelpful for this thread as those individuals who have already accepted have paid the $1k deposit & denied other schools. The only other option would be waiting an additional year, losing the &1k deposit, hoping you got accepted to another school next year, & spending hundreds more for applications the following year. 

the details I asked for are your reasons why the program is as bad as you say it is. Those details would be helpful for current & future students to attempt to work on before it becomes a problem for that cohort. Is it lack of communication? Limited access to resources? Trouble with the online system? Let’s work together on solutions rather than attacking the school. 

Lunch with current students was a part of the interview process. Looks like they simply didn’t “force” you to be a part of it this year. 

As to insight of interview timelines - isn’t that exactly why this thread exists?

Good lord. Delusional.

Let’s work together on solutions rather than attacking the school.  😂😂

Interview/interview timelines - please think critically. why the hell would I, as a current PA student, follow this forum for interview timelines. Interviews were in October and November. Both cohorts don't participate in interviews. School sanctioned zoom w/ others where you can't speak privately aren't the same as in person, which I know they weren't. Stop. Just stop pretending you know everything. FFS. Why would an admitted student follow laters cohorts PA forum threads?? Think critically. That's a skill you need to develop to be a PA. Didactic is tough. Rotations are tough. They are tougher when they are extremely poor quality rotations.

"Your post is coming at a time when students have already given acceptances and turned down other schools" Thankfully I've been able to guide people via PM to go elsewhere. I sure wish I had given up my deposits and gone elsewhere. The school is absurdly expensive, and losing $1k to go elsewhere for a late removal from a waiting list will still be cheaper. For people being offered a spot off the waiting list to go to RMU in lieu of another program and not knowing what to do...regardless of when the program starts. I'd never tell someone to not take an acceptance - ANYWHERE - to wait another year. In fact...I didn't. You're the one who suggested that.

Your experience is only one. As is mine, but my thoughts are shared among ~10 people in the cohort (everyone develops their little groups in PA school, as you'll learn, but even if it's only exactly 10 people, that's 20% of the cohort. And that's THAT I KNOW OF). But good god, I've not experienced someone who is so sure they know everything before, quite like you. 

1 hour ago, displaynamed said:

Good lord. Delusional.

Let’s work together on solutions rather than attacking the school.  😂😂

Interview/interview timelines - please think critically. why the hell would I, as a current PA student, follow this forum for interview timelines. Interviews were in October and November. Both cohorts don't participate in interviews. School sanctioned zoom w/ others where you can't speak privately aren't the same as in person, which I know they weren't. Stop. Just stop pretending you know everything. FFS. Why would an admitted student follow laters cohorts PA forum threads?? Think critically. That's a skill you need to develop to be a PA. Didactic is tough. Rotations are tough. They are tougher when they are extremely poor quality rotations.

"Your post is coming at a time when students have already given acceptances and turned down other schools" Thankfully I've been able to guide people via PM to go elsewhere. I sure wish I had given up my deposits and gone elsewhere. The school is absurdly expensive, and losing $1k to go elsewhere for a late removal from a waiting list will still be cheaper. For people being offered a spot off the waiting list to go to RMU in lieu of another program and not knowing what to do...regardless of when the program starts. I'd never tell someone to not take an acceptance - ANYWHERE - to wait another year. In fact...I didn't. You're the one who suggested that.

Your experience is only one. As is mine, but my thoughts are shared among ~10 people in the cohort (everyone develops their little groups in PA school, as you'll learn, but even if it's only exactly 10 people, that's 20% of the cohort. And that's THAT I KNOW OF). But good god, I've not experienced someone who is so sure they know everything before, quite like you. 

I’m still interested to know exactly what it is that you have a problem with in regard to the program? You briefly stated poor quality rotations? Can you please expand?

I make it a habit not to attack an individual during discussions such as this. I ask that you give me the same respect. I genuinely want to know how I can improve my situation as a student who will be starting in less than a month. 

I do not expect a student to have the exact knowledge of timelines as you assumed. I simply assumed current students would remember similar timelines as it has only been a year or two since you were in our position. My mistake. 

If you have information that would be helpful at this time, that would be great. 

• 3 weeks later...