ISU 2020-2021 Cycle

Don't really believe in comparing stats as numbers alone cannot really speak to our clinical experiences, motivations for becoming a PA, etc. However, as a non-traditional student and career changer I had the benefit of taking my prereqs as an unofficial post-bac, combined with a strong GRE score my file score is 5.44 . I'm really hoping for an interview and will keep the forum updated, but if not remember that numbers aren't everything and cannot alone convey your passion for the field! Best of luck everyone! 

Anyone else surprised at the increase in the file score being reviewed? Honestly I barely made the cut, which is what I expected and I didn't go into this with super high hopes, so I'm happy. Do you think the increase in file score being reviewed from last year indicates that more people applied, or that the applications in general were more competitive?

Edited by PAlizard

On 7/4/2020 at 12:37 AM, epicchecklist said:

Hey everyone! Does anyone know if they prefer Idaho students? I'm from out of state and debating if I should apply. Looks like a great school so I'm crossing my fingers they are amenable to non-Idaho residents! Thank you!

I don't think they prefer them explicitly, but each year around 30-40% of admitted students are from Idaho. I'm in the same boat as you since I'm from Montana, but I decided to go ahead and apply anyways. Here's a link to the admissions statistics profile: https://www.isu.edu/pa/admission/admission-statistics/ 

Also maybe calculate your file score to see if you are competitive? 

Edited by AKOW23

13 hours ago, AKOW23 said:

I don't think they prefer them explicitly, but each year around 30-40% of admitted students are from Idaho. I'm in the same boat as you since I'm from Montana, but I decided to go ahead and apply anyways. Here's a link to the admissions statistics profile: https://www.isu.edu/pa/admission/admission-statistics/ 

Also maybe calculate your file score to see if you are competitive? 

Thanks, I think I'm going to apply too. Best of luck to you!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, aea828 said:

Hey guys!

Can anyone confirm that ISU doesn't have rolling admissions? I'm thinking about applying but I'm wondering if it would be too late!

Hey, I'm pretty sure ISU does have rolling admission. They say on their website that if the applicant's file score is above the minimum required to be reviewed (this year it is 5.05), then two admission committee members review the application and determine if they will offer an interview.

I'd say that it's probably not too late to submit an application, but I'd make sure that your application file score is above the minimum, otherwise it's unlikely you'll get an interview offer. The equation for that is:

Prerequisite GPA + (Quantitative GRE Percentile/100) + (Verbal GRE Percentile/100).

It might not be exact but you can probably get close. Good luck!

On 7/25/2020 at 4:49 PM, LivPA said:

What was your file score if you don’t mind me asking?

Sure! It's 5.07. Just squeezing in above the min to be reviewed, but that's okay! Just happy to have the chance to have my essays reviewed. I'm curious to see how much stats matter after setting the cut-off.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 5:55 PM, sxxnw said:

Does anyone know if someone has ever been accepted to ISU without the extra mission survey point? I do not qualify for the extra point based on what is listed on their website, which means the maximum score I could receive with a perfect 4pt interview would be 9.49. Based on prior years the acceptance score has never gone this low, so I'm feeling like this was a waste of an application just due to the survey alone which is really disheartening. (I have not received an interview to be clear, I'm just currently under review and just now doing the math on it)

On 8/19/2020 at 11:49 PM, RinaPrePA said:

Hi just wanted some advice for those who have more knowledge of this school, my file score is higher than the cut off but I wouldn’t get the point for the interview survey. Does anyone know if this weighs heavily, or if I still have a chance without it? Thanks!

I would recommend calling Kit who sent out the emails about application updates. I spoke with her and she told me ways that they help students qualify for that point even when I thought I wouldn't originally qualify. (Like if you've lived in rural areas before, etc.) Anyways, it helped me see that I may end up getting the point after all, so hopefully she can provide you with some insights as well!