Ask a PA Admissions Director

Hi, I am single mom, 38, that devotes all my time to my son and only takes two classes a semester right now because he is 3. I have been in and out of different schools over the years but have a 3.8 GPA at a community college. I am 4 classes away from meeting the requirements of the PA school that I am applying to get into, but these are science classes that I made A's in already, but have to retake, because it has been 12 years since I took them. This school does not require a bachelors but 90 hours of very detailed classes that they require. I am putting all my eggs in one basket by spending the time to retake these 6 science classes hoping that I will get into this one school. I am quite confident that I will make A's in the remaining 4 that I have to retake which will raise my GPA more. I could have gone to a bachelors college right next to the comm. college that I go to now that would have accepted all my old sciences but I would have needed 9 more intense Biology classes to finish my Biology degree. Which then I would have had to still retake my old prereqs to get into Pa school. My question is do you know of any P.A schools that would accept me without a bachelors if I had made A's in all the science and math prerqs and that do not require a bachelors other than this one college that I am applying? Also would my age be a factor? Thank you, for your time.

@allysons Thank you for your questions and glad to hear you're starting your preparation early. I get that question a lot..whether or not we prefer non-traditional students or the tradition student right out of college. I have to say we don't have a preference as long as the applicant demonstrates that he/she is mature enough to handle being a graduate student in a VERY demanding and fast-paced curriculum and is mature enough to be a medical provider. I can't stereotype one particular age of students because you'll have some older students who are less mature than the 22 year old and the 22 year old who is less mature than the 40 year old. It all depends on the person. I don't discourage applicants from applying out of college if they feel they're ready based on their academic performance and their clinical experience. If you don't feel you're ready, remember it's a marathon not a sprint, so take the time to mature if you need to.Sometimes it takes a few years outside of college to narrow down your decision or to "find your niche." I would rather see an applicant who has decided to be a PA by process of elimination, instead of jumping into it without thinking twice. The best things you can do right now to prepare for PA school as a pre-PA student is to:

- Make sure you're taking a full-time course load each semester. Sometimes students try and handle working and taking a bare minimum number of hours each semester. If you're able to focus on your classes, it's best to take as many semester hours as you can each semester because most semesters in your didactic year of PA school can range anywhere from 19-22 semester hours. Keep good grades...remember, the route to any graduate program will be a lot easier if you have good grades.

- Challenge yourself: Pick those professors who are difficult, rather than taking the "easy way out" with the easy professors. The easy way out does you no favors and doesn't prepare you for the curriculum in any program.

- Spend your summers working in the healthcare field. You kill 2 birds with one stone...you get money (probably not a lot) and you get clinical experience that is needed for most programs. Again, challenge yourself by getting a certification (i.e. CNA, medical assisting, phlebotomy, EMT, patient care tech, etc) to get direct patient experience. It's a lot easier to get a job and to be allowed to actually put your hands on patients if you have a certification. It may also put you in a clinical setting where you're exposed to the health care team...helping you narrow down your choices of profession that you may want to enter. Most programs that require HCE require about 1,000 hours, but our program requires 500. However, I think those students who have 700-1,000 at the time of application tend to be able to grasp the role of a PA a little better.

I hope this information is helpful and best wishes!

@andreasantoro Thank you for your questions. Off the top of my head I don't know the exact programs that accept students without a bachelor's degree. The only thing I can recommend is searching programs by state. This is a shot in the dark here, but I'm assuming that most programs that don't require a bachelor's degree would probably prefer to see one...I'm not speaking on behalf of these programs, but having a bachelor's degree tends to demonstrate that a student can handle upper level courses. Also, every program will have a different take on where they would prefer to see their prerequisites taken (i.e. university vs. cc level). If you're dead set on attending this one program, I would encourage to take the time to visit an open house or meet with an admissions person (if they don't do open houses). Sessions like these tend to offer a lot of insight on what the program prefers to see. You can get a lot from websites, but the minimum is usually not enough to be competitive with the applicant pool. You can ask if your current plan is sufficient to meet their preferences. It never hurts to ask...that's why we have jobs ;) Also, we don't factor age into admissions decisions...it's all about how you present yourself to the committee. I hope this helps!

I am in my last year of my Bachelors degree in Biology and I have upper division electives to finish. To make a long story short I am only one class shy of a Chemistry minor, but in the place of that class I could take an Advanced Anatomy class or an Immunology class. (to get the minor in chem I would choose which of those two classes to replace with the chem minor class) As an admissions director would it look better to have that Chemistry minor, or would it look better if I did well in an Immunology and Advanced Anatomy course?

@matthew74 Thank you for your question. I do think some admissions members would like to see a minor in chemistry...I think it shows a lot potential to be able to double major or minor in 2 subjects while in undergrad. Plus the upper level chemistry courses are challenging and may add a little bit more to your application and preparation for a demanding curriculum. However, if you don't minor in chemistry it's not the end of the world. An additional Biology course like Anatomy or Immunology are also beneficial. Hope this helps!

I'm having a dilemma, I am not sure whether to do a 1 year Medical Assistant program so I can get hands on experience working in the medical field or to do a 2 year Registered Nursing program. Which one looks better? Does it matter? Also, I'm considering the RN program because a lot of the prerequisites are the same as PA. I am getting ready to graduate with my BS in Mathematics (I know, why math right, well I'm good at it and I like it) in the spring of 2014 and apply to PA school in 3-5 years while I get experience in the medical field and finish up some prerequisites. Last thing, will my BS in Math be a turn off for PA schools? Thanks in advance!

Hello PA Admissions Director,

I have a couple questions regarding volunteer experience. I am a male member of an active feminist club, and have volunteered my time for many of the club's public activities. Should I list this experience as volunteering on CASPA? Is participating in such a club looked as a positive by admission committees, or would it be in my best interests to omit it? Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated!

Dear PA admission director,

Thanks for your time and effort in replying the students' inquiries. I'm a foreign medical graduate, 33 years old, I've practiced medicine at my country for around 8 years and have undergone part of my masters there 3 years ago in clinical pathology but didn't finish the degree then came to the States 6 months ago but due to certain circumstances I won't take the USMLE and thinking of starting the PA career, do I have any chance ?

- If yes,what are the best primary steps I should start with after I send my transcripts to the WES to be evaluated?

- What are GRE books I should go for?

- In case my previous practiced clinical experience won't be considered; how to get a paid healthcare experience here ?

- Am I gonna be asked to do the pre requisite coursework and how to join those courses?

- How long on average basis does it take to be prepared to join college after undergoing the pre requisite courses and practice experience ?

I'm sorry for my long case but I'm a bit confused and I'll be so appreciative if you can answer me those questions cause as I've stated before that I'm still new to the country as well as the whole system.

Edited by Miriam E. Louca

Hi PA Admissions Director,

I have been a registered respiratory therapist for the past seven years, and I recently decided to pursue a career change toward P.A. My pre-respiratory school GPA was a dismal 2.4, respiratory school (Associate degree) GPA was 3.4, respiratory school (Bachelor degree) GPA 4.0, and overall GPA is 3.2. Does my experience as an RT give me an advantage over someone with a higher overall GPA and fewer clinical experience? Also, I have made mostly A's in all of the science prerequisite courses; however, they were taken well over seven years ago. Is there a time limit placed on the science courses? Would you recommend that I retake these classes? Thank you for your time!

@salcan Thank you for your questions. From our program's standpoint we don't technically have a strong preference for the type of paid experience you choose to pursue for PA school, especially if it's hands on. Obviously, the RN route will help you kill two birds with one stone (coursework and hours). However, medical assisting is also a good way to get hours and seems like the shorter track. If you're wanting to expedite the process I would probably lean more towards the medical assisting program while taking outstanding coursework at the same time. You'll be able to get out of the program sooner and start working to gain paid experience (student hours usually don't count for a lot of programs). RN school will take 2 years to complete, plus you'll have to get hours after your certification.

Also, your math major will not hurt your application. Most programs don't have a preference of what you major in, and math is a good critical thinking type of major that may benefit you in PA school and as a PA.

I would encourage you to weigh the options above and hope they help!

@martinace Thank you for your question. I can't really speak to whether or not it would hurt your application because that's really a personal preference of each admissions committee member. That said, it's obviously something you're passionate about..so why hide it? I personally think it's neat to read what people are involved in on their application..not everyone is the same. No program has the time to dig further into someone's volunteer experience should you not put it on your application. If it's something you enjoy and have learned valuable lessons from the experience it may be worth putting on your application. Hope this helps!

@Miriam E. Louca Thank you for your questions. Unfortunately, EVERY program will have different policies for graduates who have completed their degree outside the US. The first thing to do (which I think would be required for all programs) is to have your transcripts evaluated by WES. Our program only considers the degree equivalency on the WES evaluation. We look only to see if your degree is equivalent to a bachelor's degree or a doctor of medicine in the US. All other coursework is not considered because our prerequisites have to be taken in the US regardless if you've already taken them in your native country. That said, I've seen some programs accept coursework outside the US, but they may still require that a certain number of credit hours be taken in the US. It's best to research the programs that interest you to see what they are looking for for coursework and degrees.

You can buy a GRE study book on Amazon.com or at a local bookstore like Barnes and Noble. Companies like The Princeton Review and Kaplan have good study books to help students prepare for the GRE, if you're a self studier. If you would prefer face-to-face instruction, both of those companies offer online and classroom courses. They tend to be a little expensive for some applicants so it may not be an option if cost is an issue. Search on their websites for more information. You may also consider going to the ETS website to access practice tests for the GRE. ETS is the company that administers the GRE. You may also have to submit TOEFL scores to programs in addition to the GRE...keep that in mind.

If your previous clinical experience doesn't count for programs, most local community colleges have short certification courses where you can get a CNA, EMT, medical assisting, or phlebotomy certification (these are just examples) within a few weeks. I would research those community colleges around you to see what they offer.

Depending on how many courses you may have to take and/or retake, it will vary on how long it will take you to get into a PA program. For the few foreign graduates who apply to our program, it takes at least 1.5-2 years to complete our required coursework and then they apply to the program. Again, it all depends on what programs you're applying to and what they require.

I hope the information above provides some clarification on the process! Let me know if you have any further questions!

Edited by paadmissions

@mark.dula Thank you for your questions. Your experience as a RT will be beneficial to your time in PA school and also as a PA. It's valuable experience, in my opinion, when you apply to PA school. As far as coursework and the time limits that may exist for some programs, I would research the programs that interest you to see if there is a time limit on the coursework. A lot of programs have a 5-6 year time restraint on courses like A&P, Microbiology, and General Chemistry. If there are time limits on the prerequisites, it should be on their website. Our program doesn't have a time limit on when the prerequisites are taken, but usually recommend, not require, the applicant to retake courses as a refresher and to get back in the classroom. I usually recommend applicants to consider retaking the upper level courses as refreshers. The good thing is that you're working in the medical field so you're not having to relearn everything in these classes...it should be a good refresher. I hope this helps!

Hello please respond to my question. My undergraduate GPA wasn't that great (2.92) so after undergrad I spent time as a post bac student taking upper level science classes(3.7 GPA) while working as a patient transporter. I have a MCAT of 24, an a Revised GRE of 302. I am currently working on my MPH and have a 4.0 GPA. After I receive the MPH what are my chances of admission? Also note i have 235 volunteer hours shadowing a Podiaturost and DO. And 5000 hours working as a patient transporter. I am currently seeking a PA to shadow as well

@twsurfsnow If your prerequisite GPA is as competitive with your post bacc grades you may have a decent chance of being competitive. If you just took post bacc courses that were not relevant to the programs you're applying to, you may need to consider going back to retake prerequisites. Having a MPH is great and demonstrates that you can do master's level work, but most of the time MPH degrees do not have prerequisite courses within the curriculum. I would double check with the programs that interest you to make sure your patient transport hours will count. Hope this helps!

@newbeginning Thank you for your question. I would tread lightly on inquiring about that. From a program standpoint, we are aware and empathetic to those type of situations, but unfortunately, cannot always make an exception for applicants. I don't think it would hurt to see when interviews are scheduled and see how far in advance of those interviews applicants are contacted if they are chosen for an interview. If that time frame has passed, then you should prepare to visit that one program. Hope this helps!

Hello Pa Admissions Director,

Ive been a respiratory therapist for a couple of years. During undergrad, I was a horrible student. After a couple of withdrawals and F's I graduated with a 2.4 gpa. Although the classes were retaken and I received a passing grade, I know I can do 100 times better. So, I plan on taking all of my general requirements (english, math, soc...) as well as the science pre requisite courses for the PA program. I have a different mind frame than I did 5 years ago. Working in the field has motivated me to strive for excellence and provide exceptional patient care. My goal is to get an A in every course, but I havent calculated how high my gpa would rise. I would like to know your opinion. If an applicants original undergrad grades were not impressive but all of the classes were retaken and aced, how much of a difference would it make for you to accept him into your program or at least for an interview?

@questnyc Thank you for your questions. When reviewing an application we are able to see your post-bacc work. If an applicant had poor grades from several years ago, but has made an effort to go back and take relevant courses to prepare them for PA school, it is something we consider strongly. I would recommend at least 35-60 hours of coursework to demonstrate to the committee that you're capable of handling the coursework. This will also include you taking as many courses as you can at one time, rather than a course here or there, and I would recommend as many of those courses, particularly in the sciences, to be taken at a 4 year institution. That also demonstrates your ability to handle the curriculum. I hope this is helpful and best wishes!