Ask a PA Admissions Director

@scubaBubble I would recommend researching the clinical experience hour requirements for scribe hours. It's my understanding that not a lot of programs accept scribe for their requirement. Overall statistics that you've listed seem to fit within the competitive range we see for our incoming cohorts. I would tell you to go a step further and calculate your prerequisite GPA for each program to ensure your prerequisite GPA is in line with your science GPA. I would guess that if it's 3.4+ you're probably within a competitive range, but again, be sure to check your clinical experience to ensure it's accepted. Hope this helps.

@jdabrowski I certainly don't want to speak on behalf of the programs you've listed, but would encourage you to seek feedback from the other programs that you've been waitlisted with. I'm not sure how feedback works with any of the programs, but typically, I do not provide feedback for the waitlist applicants because they are still being considered for an acceptance should a seat become available. There could be more factors outside of just academics (i.e. interview performance). Hope this helps. 

Hello all, this will be my third time applying to PA school (first time was a trial run really with only 5 schools to test the waters). I was previously applying to PT school but always had second thoughts about it since I switched from pre-med/PA to prePT and then made the decision to go back. I was waitlisted for a number of PT schools when I applied and have been waitlisted at a few PA schools like Elon, Gardner Webb, St. Scholastica (only the 1 year of the accreditation fiasco and I am a CSS alum). So here are some stats and I am wondering what else to do. I had 1 interview last year at Campbell and they requested I switch jobs from being a Cert Pharm Tech to something like scribe, cna, cma, emt. I switched at the end of 2016 and have been scribing at a private clinic since. Aside from doing the charting for my MD, I am also included in on minor procedures, looking at the Xrays, EKG's, interpreting lab work (this has been so far an AMAZING learning experience).

So here are my stats: Age 26

Undergrad cGPA:3.37--have retaken some classes at community college after graduation in 2012.

Chem 1:A

Chem 2: B+

Anat/Phys 1:A

Anat/Phys 2: A-

Gen Bio 1:A

Gen Bio 2:B+

Genetics:B

Physics 1:A

Physics 2:B

Ochem 1: lecture C+, Lab A

Ochem 2: lecture B, Lab B+ (took both of these in summer 2015-am considering retaking the Ochem 1 over again if schedule and finances allow)

Stats: A

Psych: A

Sociology: A

Microbio: A

Biochem: still need to take depending on program

Also studied abroad in Ireland for 1 semester.

GRE: 151 quant, 151 verbal, 4.0 writing

In college I took a hit due to my fathers terminal illness, after his passing my senior year I had an upward trend in my GPA as this helped me not focus on his passing. I do acknowledge this in my PS and how I have overcome this.

Have well over 200 hours volunteering (PT required this) and current volunteer experience is with hospice where I assist in direct pt cares for the past year, also medical tent volunteering at major races, tutoring elementary school kids, active on campus with sports and student senate during undergrad years.

HCE: over 7000 hours as lead cert pharm tech (in one of my locations we got to swab pt's for strep as we helped the minute clinic through our hospital), and currently work full time as a Scribe (and 2 other jobs).

I have tried to contact Campbell to inquire what else to make myself more competitive and I have not heard from them at all (emailed them once in Feb, and again two weeks ago) and am a little concerned about this since last year they emailed me back right away concerning my PS. Any ideas on what else I can improve on?

@paadmissions I'm currently in the military and will retire in 2020.  I'm looking seriously at PA programs so I appreciate any feedback you would provide on my academic/experience stats.

Current Occupation: USAF Intelligence Officer (15 years)

Previous military occupation: enlisted Pararescueman (8 years) certified as EMT - Paramedic

Prior to military: ER Technician (3 years); Pharmacy Tech (3 years); EMT-firefighter (3 years)

Degrees:

- undergraduate: Biology (2.62 GPA) graduated in 1993

- graduate: M.S. International Relations (3.30 GPA)

- graduate: National Security Studies (3.34 GPA)

- post Bac courses (prereqs): 4.0 GPA (10 Cr)

Current cGPA: 2.90

Current sGPA: 2.70

GRE: 149 quant; 159 qual; 4.5 writing

Patient Contact hours: about 8,000+ between ER tech and USAF Pararescue medical experience

Since it has been over 10 years since I did my science courses I'm retaking the ones I need plus whatever science courses I would need to get my BCP GPA, sGPA, and cGPA at least 3.0.  I think I can do that and will get there.

I will be doing some PA shadowing in different specialties.

Any feedback you could provide would be appreciated.

V/R,

Drew Cook

@jdabrowski I certainly don't want to speak on behalf of the programs you've listed, but would encourage you to seek feedback from the other programs that you've been waitlisted with. I'm not sure how feedback works with any of the programs, but typically, I do not provide feedback for the waitlist applicants because they are still being considered for an acceptance should a seat become available. There could be more factors outside of just academics (i.e. interview performance). Hope this helps. 

The programs I was on alternate filled their classes (was told via email in winter to reapply) :( , and I was not given an interview at them. And I have not heard from Campbell after I emailed them about 3 weeks ago. I definitely will be working on my interview skills. Any other insights on where I really need to put more effort in to help land an interview?

Thank you for your time!

@paadmissions

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to respond to questions. My question is based on my specific situation and I will do my best to keep it concise and to the point.

Non-traditional student --> Graduated in 2011 with a degree in Finance. Decided to change careers and go back to school.

Undergrad GPA (Finance) --> 2.75

Post-Bach pre-req/science GPA --> 3.4

Cumulative GPA with post-bach work --> 2.9

HCE --> ~750 paid; behavioral health and ~250 volunteer working with people wth disabilities.

Given my less than stellar undergraduate GPA from school work completed 6-10 years ago, how would your program (and I assume most programs) look at someone in my position regarding my academics on paper regarding obtaining an interview? My fear is that my past will drag me down and keep me from becoming a future PA.

Regards,

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I was wondering if you could give me some advice! This will be my second year applying to PA programs. I did get some interviews last cycle and was even wait listed. Now that I am re-applying I was wondering if you have any advice on personal statements? Should I write a completely new statement or is it okay to use last years and just edit it to reflect my past years experience? My biggest weakness as an applicant in my CASPA GPA, and I have been taking graduate level sciences courses in order to show improvement and raise my GPA. I am just not sure what parts of last years applications, I can use this cycle, specifically when it comes to the narratives.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I'm applying this year its my first year.

GRE: 306, writing 5.0

SGPA 3.1, cGPA 3.2.

Bachelors in sports and exercise from UCF.

HCE: 3500 hours as a scribe

I feel like my GPA and HCE are gonna hold me back from even getting an interview, but I want to get into a PA school sooo bad. I have been prepping for applications for the past year and am willing to do so much research. Do I even have a chance for an interview? No interviews yet

I'm applying this year its my first year.

GRE: 306, writing 5.0

SGPA 3.1, cGPA 3.2.

Bachelors in sports and exercise from UCF.

HCE: 3500 hours as a scribe

I feel like my GPA and HCE are gonna hold me back from even getting an interview, but I want to get into a PA school sooo bad. I have been prepping for applications for the past year and am willing to do so much research. Do I even have a chance for an interview? No interviews yet

Consider applying to developing programs. They statically get fewer applicants because people do not want to apply to an non-accredited school. It's still very tough competition but the application pool is smaller.

Also, look for schools that calculate GPA's uniquely. For example, I have a 3.11 science GPA but one of the schools I have an interview at calculates their own GPA strictly using prerequisites. I have a 3.65 based off of their prerequisite score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@paadmissions I'm currently in the military and will retire in 2020. I'm looking seriously at PA programs so I appreciate any feedback you would provide on my academic/experience stats.

Current Occupation: USAF Intelligence Officer (15 years)

Previous military occupation: enlisted Pararescueman (8 years) certified as EMT - Paramedic

Prior to military: ER Technician (3 years); Pharmacy Tech (3 years); EMT-firefighter (3 years)

Degrees:

- undergraduate: Biology (2.62 GPA) graduated in 1993

- graduate: M.S. International Relations (3.30 GPA)

- graduate: National Security Studies (3.34 GPA)

- post Bac courses (prereqs): 4.0 GPA (10 Cr)

Current cGPA: 2.90

Current sGPA: 2.70

GRE: 149 quant; 159 qual; 4.5 writing

Patient Contact hours: about 8,000+ between ER tech and USAF Pararescue medical experience

Since it has been over 10 years since I did my science courses I'm retaking the ones I need plus whatever science courses I would need to get my BCP GPA, sGPA, and cGPA at least 3.0. I think I can do that and will get there.

I will be doing some PA shadowing in different specialties.

Any feedback you could provide would be appreciated.

V/R,

Drew Cook

You should consider Liberty University's online masters in biomedical science. It is designed to help students get in to professional health programs. It has a few on campus, 1 week intensives so that lab portions are not online and "count" as prerequisites. Plus, they give insane discounts to military

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello PAadmissions, 

I was wondering if you could help me interpret the meaning of a message I received from a PA program I applied to. It read:

This is a courtesy notification to make you aware that your file has gone through an initial review by our Admissions Committee, and, although we believe your credentials demonstrate academic potential, it is still under continued consideration.

We receive many qualified applications every year and will continue to make decisions regarding the next step in the process after initial review on an ongoing basis. Thus, we appreciate your patience as our committee continues to consider your application and all the distinguishing characteristics needed for a thorough and holistic review.

We will keep you abreast of your status of continued consideration with the Physician Assistant program throughout the application cycle. Please contact the admissions and enrollment team if you have any questions or concerns"

------------------------------------------------------------

I am wondering if this is the same as being waitlisted, or a nice way to word a rejection. Last year when I applied to this same program i was put on a "waitlist for interview consideration" (never interviewed) and am wondering if this is a step down or a step up from that? I'm wondering if I should give up the spark of hope I have for this cycle at this program. 

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help determining if I have any chance of being accepted with the following stats, and if so, what schools do you suggest? 

Undergrad sGPA: 3.49

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.6

GRE: 161 qual, 154 verbal, 4.5 writing

Second year MPH student

600 HCE hours (scribe, shadowing, medical mission trip)

Internship at cancer research center, 2 mission trips, four year college athlete.

I think you have a good chance of being accepted as long as your personal statement really connects your experiences and decision to become a PA. Your hce is a little on the low side but if you convey the patient care you've encountered and your enjoyment working with patients, then those things will help you. Are you applying this cycle? Cause it's kind of later to get the process started since some schools have started sending interview in ites. With that being said, perhaps you should apply to local schools in your home state in order to get your feet wet and then next year, if you don't get in close by, you will be an even stronger candidate and have had time to research the many out of state schools. 

Hi guys and PA admissions! I'm new to this website and am glad I found it. Was wondering if you could shed some light on how strong I would be as an applicant for the April 2018-2019 cycle.

I have not yet calculated my science GPA, but my cumulative undergrad right now sits at a 3.75. I could potentially raise it higher when I graduate in the fall.

I'm a CNA at a local hospital and am lacking hours, but if I really dedicate myself to it and work for the next 10-11 months, I could have around 1500-1600 hours by the time I apply. I just started gaining volunteer experience at an underserved health clinic, and I'm gonna shadow two PAS, one in surgery and one in primary care, and hopefully will get at least 20-30 shadowing hours as well.

Basically, my GPA is okay, but Im lacking in extracurriculars. However, friends of mine who had gotten accepted said I still have 10-11 months till I apply next cycle (likely in June) to work on getting my hours in PCE, shadowing, and volunteering. I was thinking of taking a gap year but now sorta decided against it because maybe I could still have a shot 10-11 months from now. What do you guys think? Should I give it a shot and apply?

@paadmissions

I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 2014 with a double major in anthropology and english writing and have since gone back to school to take pre-requisite classes for PA school. My first semester freshman year of college I failed Gen Chem 1 and when I re-took it that summer I got a C. When I took gen chem 1, I was completely unprepared for the immensity of the college experience and being 8 hours away from home and navigating life on my own.  I have since re-taken it again and got an A in both chem 1 and all of my pre-requisite following. I still have microbio, genetics, biochem, and medical terminology to take which will all be completed by the end of the Fall 2017 semester. I also plan on re-taking the GRE 4 weeks from now. 

My question is: what can I do to help admissions committees see beyond my caspa science GPA? I included it in my essay and explained further on some supplemental applications but even if I get straight A's in the rest of my pre-reqs my GPA likely won't get higher than a 3.5 despite my post-bacc GPA of 3.95. I have already been rejected from 2 schools and am concerned that people won't see past my CASPA GPA and see the improvement I've made during my post-bacc classes. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

My break down is:

Undergrad gpa: 3.58, graduated magna cum laude, dean's list 6 semesters, 2 honor's societies

CASPA GPA: 3.48

science GPA: 3.25

PCH: around 1200 as a patient care technician at a pediatrics office + continuing to accumulate

Shadowing: 108 hours ( 2 PAs, 1 MD, 1 PT)

LOR: 1 PA, 1 MD, 1 Organic Chem Prof, 1 Anatomy Prof, 1 Writing Prof

Volunteering: a bunch in college probably around 100 or so. 

Post-Bacc Grades:

Chem 1 & 2: A

Organic Chem 1 lecture: A 

Organic 1 Lab: B-

Bio 1& 2: A

AP 1 & 2: A

GRE: 154 V, 148 G, 4.5 W

Schools Applied to: 12

Rejected: 2

Thank you!!

PAAdmissions,

I was hoping I could get your opinion on a possible letter of recommendation.

I have been a CNA in home healthcare for one year now and have been consistently providing services to one PT in particular (other patients as well, scattered throughout my time as a CNA, but one has been with me through thick and thin). My time with them is coming to a close as I am moving back home. She has offered to write me a letter of recommendation. What are your views on this, a PT writing a letter of recommendation, considering I have been providing services for them for a year now, having getting to know them/them getting to know me as a healthcare provider? I'm hoping it comes off as an "out of the box" approach to stick out in the applications, but I also worry it will be viewed as not as credible as a supervisor/instructor. Thoughts?

Thank you,

Cameron

• 2 months later...

@paadmissions I am a person who is 41, worked in IT for 20 years, In healthcare. Healthcare informatics. I am at a surgery center and I want to go back to school to become a PA. I have a bachelor's in business so I have started my pre-requisites. I need A&P I and II, Chem I and II and Bio I and II. 20 hours of shadowing and a minimum of 2000 hours of clinical experience. My question to you is this, is it looked at more favorably if I am a Surgical Tech for 2 years or a CNA? I'm asking because my boss runs the Surg Tech school here at MMC (Maine Medical Center). It would take me 1 year to complete, (that counts towards my hours) but, then I would need to work as a Tech for at least 6 months to a year. The other option, is to become a CNA, there is a CNA course here as well, 11 weeks long, starts in Dec. But, it doesn't pay much. You see, I would be leaving F/T job in healthcare IT to go back to do clinical work. If I became a surgical tech, I would at least be earning an income that could support me and my family. (I have two boys, ages 10 and 12). I won't have any problem completing the pre-reqs or doing the 20-40 hours of Shadowing but, I don't know what route to take for clinical experience. I'm leaning towards Surgical Tech. As an PA of admissions what do you recommend? Thank you,

• 1 month later...

@paadmissions,

Hi,

I am writing to ask for some advice regarding my application. This is my second year applying to physician assistant programs and seem to be facing another cycle of rejections. I know it is very competitive and that there are a large number of qualified applicants, however I am still unsure of where I am going wrong. I have a Science GPA of 3.89 and CGPA of 3.94. I have 1200 hours of patient contact and 40+ hours of shadowing. I volunteer on a regular basis with about 150 hours documented. I have gone to three interviews and I'll admit the first was not great, but the others seemed to go very well. I was prepared and confident and the interviewers even said I had great answers. I by no means think these statistics make me any more qualified than another applicant, as I know many other factors apply. I am just not sure what else I can do. If you have any advice it would be much appreciated. 

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have been accepted to two PA programs thus far.  I am a first year applicant and could not be more excited.  I have a question regarding the background check.  On my record, I have two summary offenses: underage drinking and public urination.  Both charges were dismissed; however, the expungement has not gone through yet and I fear that it won't when it comes to my background check.  Do you foresee this as a problem?  I am worried that it could affect and revoke my admission.  Thank you so much.

• 1 month later...

To PA Director and Those accepted into PA school

Could use some advice.  I'm an undergrad (May 2018 Grad) who plans to apply this coming April cycle.  While completing my clinical portion of my undergrad - I'm working 2 positions.

Question is on PCE vs HCE which is considered stronger?

I have accumulated 700+ hours of PCE - Phlebotomy and I'm still working there part time

I also am working at a Hospital Lab as a LST (Lab Support Technician III) part time and have 300+ hours and continuing.

While completing my undergrad I was thinking about going more hours at the hospital lab and stopping the phlebotomist.   Is this the right choice when it comes to PA school consideration?

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

Hello there! I have a quick question regarding licensing and getting into PA schools? My fiancée was driving with friends to the beach this past summer and one of the people in the car had marijuana. He and a few others were not knowledgeable about this person having marijuana in the car, but because he was in the car, he still got charged. Since this is his first offense, he is getting deferred adjudication where it doesn’t show up on your record except licensing agencies. That where he’s worried for when he applies for a license. He graduates this summer and will probably get experience as a scribe for a year or more before he applies to PA school. Is he wasting his time for PA school/getting licensed or does he still have a shot? He goes to a great school, lots of shadowing hours, great letter of refs, he does research, solid grades, etc. we are also in Texas, but are open to looking anywhere else we can. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I applied to PA schools for the first time last cycle (2020-21) and didn't receive any interviews. I have ~4,000 hrs PCE as an EMT and as a Hemodialysis Tech. My main issue is poor performance freshman & sophomore year of undergrad. There's an upward trend in my grades, but that obviously wasn't enough. I'm considering attending a record enhancing masters program like the Masters in Biomedical sciences program at Vanderbilt or the Contemporary Human Anatomy MS at EVMS. Would preforming well in one of these programs boost my application enough to make it worth it? Also considering retaking Orgo 1 & 2. 

Some of my relevent grades :

cGPA 3.25 sGPA 3.0

Gen Chem 1 = C +   

Bio 1 = C 

Gen Chem 2 = W 1st time; B+ at community college later 

Bio 2 = B 

Orgo 1 = B-

Orgo 2 = D+ 

Recombinant DNA Technology = B 

Microbio & Infectious Diseases = C+ 

Genetics = A- 

Biochem 1 = D+ , retook with B- 

Emerging Infectious Diseases = B+ 

Pharmacology B+ 

Clinical Microbio = B+ 

Toxicology = B+ 

Biostatistics = A 

Endocrinology = A- 

Anatomy = B+ 

Physiology = A- 

Pathophysiology = B 

Genetics  & Genomics =  A - 

Antibiotics = B+

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 2:05 PM, alexEMTprePA said:

Hello, I applied to PA schools for the first time last cycle (2020-21) and didn't receive any interviews. I have ~4,000 hrs PCE as an EMT and as a Hemodialysis Tech. My main issue is poor performance freshman & sophomore year of undergrad. There's an upward trend in my grades, but that obviously wasn't enough. I'm considering attending a record enhancing masters program like the Masters in Biomedical sciences program at Vanderbilt or the Contemporary Human Anatomy MS at EVMS. Would preforming well in one of these programs boost my application enough to make it worth it? Also considering retaking Orgo 1 & 2. 

Some of my relevent grades :

cGPA 3.25 sGPA 3.0

Gen Chem 1 = C +   

Bio 1 = C 

Gen Chem 2 = W 1st time; B+ at community college later 

Bio 2 = B 

Orgo 1 = B-

Orgo 2 = D+ 

Recombinant DNA Technology = B 

Microbio & Infectious Diseases = C+ 

Genetics = A- 

Biochem 1 = D+ , retook with B- 

Emerging Infectious Diseases = B+ 

Pharmacology B+ 

Clinical Microbio = B+ 

Toxicology = B+ 

Biostatistics = A 

Endocrinology = A- 

Anatomy = B+ 

Physiology = A- 

Pathophysiology = B 

Genetics  & Genomics =  A - 

Antibiotics = B+

To be honest, it is a little bit weird that you don’t received any interview. That’s not the way this process usually works.