Needing Reapplicants Advice on Rewriting Personal Statement

First you have to decide why you think you need a new one; you need specific reasons, not just generalities—was it boring, not cohesive, poor sentence structure? If you don’t know exactly why, ask a few people what they think the problems are with it.  Then you have to decide to fix the issues or start brand new. Some PS are not easily salvageable and a fresh start is what is needed.

If you are going to fix the old one or start fresh, try to avoid what you identified as the problems with the first one.

As mentioned by @Janie55, it might help to have others review your personal statement and give their honest critiques (avoid people who will tell you it's great just to avoid hurting your feelings).  I had a close friend read mine, and his outside perspective helped me identify areas where I was being repetitive and redundant.  I also found it helpful to read the entire thing out loud; sometimes sentences look good on paper, then you read them out loud and realize they don't flow well or just sound too long-winded.

Also, it probably goes without saying, but I would recommend avoiding clichés and generic fluff.  You want your personal statement to be a reflection of the unique strengths, experience and perspective that you bring to the table.  If your statement sounds like it could be written by anybody ("I have always wanted to help others..."), then it probably needs some work.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Your personal statement is an account that you have written yourself. Therefore, you are able to reuse it for different UCAS applications because it is about you and written by you.

So if you are reapplying, you must 100% write a new personal statement. This is the same thing with secondaries and letters of recommendation. It's a new application. Rewrite your personal statement and don't be lazy.

1. Explain the reason for your choice and how it fits in with your aspirations for the future.
  2. Give examples of any related sentence rewrite tool academic or work experience.
  3. Show you know what the course will involve and mention any special subjects you're interested in.
Edited by gabit43468
update the content