Hazard pay or bonus for medical professionals?

5 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

For anyone who asks similar questions; you signed up to be a healthcare provider, you should know what you're getting into, what the position entails, and 'nuff said.  Working extra hours or undesirable shifts then additional pay could be discussed but when I was in the ED and scheduled to be there then I was there at whatever pay rate I agreed to.  Now, if the group needed coverage on a weekend, or overnight on a weekend when a surgical resident should've been there then they paid me at the rate the surgical resident was paid.  Fair enough to me.  It was known as "The rez rate".

Right,

But a firefighter signs up to fight fires, and a police officer signs up to apprehend criminals.  Obviously these are well known hazards of the job.

Plenty of medical professional have been punched, hit, kicked, spit on, exposed to blood and other bodily fluids.  

I still don't see how "we signed up for it" but police/FF/other state/federal agencies did not...

On 6/15/2020 at 12:39 PM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I understand your feelings, and I frankly probably would feel the same way at the moment, however the question asked by the OP was is ADDITIONAL income ("hazard pay") indicated?  Regular pay scale?  Yes.  Additional would be ok if offered.  Less income for doing same job?  That is not what we agreed to.

I went a bit off the rails there, but I think the "hazard pay" or whatever you want to call it is more in regards to PPE issues and admin not enforcing policies they have put in place.  But it's the same admins who would have to approve a "hazard pay" bonus unless the government does it, so I would expect sometime around when hell freezes over...really for either situation.

Edit: just posted on the "salary cuts due to COVID" thread, but my income is finally going to be starting to be restored at the end of this month and then back to 100% by the end of July.  PTO accrual also restarts, but no word on getting our missed PTO back.

Edited by mgriffiths
added pertinent details