Hey guys!

I'm new here, but was reaching out for advice. I am currently working as a PT and find myself often looking into becoming a PA with a desire to understand the medical model more. I love my job as a PT but don't know if I feel the passion I once thought I had. I would love to hear from anyone else who made this jump from PT/PTA/OT to PA. 

What made you decide to leave your field and enter into a new and rigorous graduate program?

Was the intensity of the course work and potentially added debt worth it?

Do you feel that your prior career helped you at all through the graduate program?

I have almost paid all of my student debt down from undergrad/PT school, have worked for two years and have a husband who can support me financially through PA school if I choose to go that route.

I graduated undergraduate with a 3.95 GPA, my DPT program with a 3.96 GPA and got a 300 on the GRE. I feel well equipped but would just love to hear from others and their experiences! 

Thanks everyone!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kalebmi20
      Hello PA Forum,
      I am new to the pre-PA path, and I am a bit overwhelmed by the things that need to get done over the next years. I am finishing up my freshman year and have decided that getting into PA school is my goal. After some research I have come to the understanding that I need to have prerequisite courses completed. However, I am very lost on where to start. Some schools require upper level this and lower level that. I dont want to waste any more time then I already have, given that I have been a CS major for my entire first year, so Im very worried about making the wrong choices for next semester. Here is a run down of the classes I've taken as a freshman CS student (I will switch out to another major). Keep in mind I have not taken introductory English courses because of AP college credit. 

1st Sem:
      Bio 101, CPSC 120, POSC 100, Pre-Calculus
      2nd Sem: 
      Geology 101, CPSC 121, Calculus I, HCOM 100

What should I take this summer or in the fall? I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Registration is in a few weeks and I do not have too much time to make a decision on my fall classes. I was thinking of taking a more challenging course over the summer so I could focus on it by itself, and maybe take psychology next semester, but I feel like im missing something like chemistry or anatomy.
    • By FuturePAHopefully
      Hello Pre-PA Community!
      I want to start off by thanking this forum for the tremendous help and wealth of information provided for my own Pre-PA journey & want to give back to the community. A little bit about myself, I was a low GPA/PCE Applicant who was able to research admission strategies that landed me an acceptance to the #1 Physician Assistant Program in the United States - Duke University. Working as a tutor & academic coach for over 5 years, I value and appreciate those who invest in their future goals and want to help them along their journey.
      After spending several months researching how to get into PA School on the first try, I am proud to announce I have developed a strategy that allows one to emphasize their strengths and be accepted to their top-choice schools! My Interview Rate for all my applications were 80%, and my Acceptance Rate after the Interview was 90% through implementing pre & post interview strategies that increase memorability and subsequent acceptance. While I was looking for affordable Pre-PA services such as Mock Interviews or Personal Statement Review - I found them to be VERY expensive. While working a low pay PCE job, I found it difficult to afford these essential services. I want to give back to students at an affordable price to help save money for applications (an already expensive ordeal). I have created my own Physician Assistant Mentorship Service where I will be providing the MOST AFFORDABLE services available to motivated and driven students.
      Please visit pathtopa.youcanbook.me to schedule any one of the services offered. These services are especially useful if you are seeking guidance to joining this amazing profession (non-traditional students) or you are a driven first time applicant who wants to an acceptance their first cycle. Additionally, with EVERY SERVICE I provide a One on One Zoom Call to ensure that my advice is 100% tailored to your needs.
      Please feel free to ask about any of my services or about myself! I have just opened up my availability for February so check it out & share with family and friends.

• By masval2
      Hello!
      I have browsing this forum for awhile and appreciate everyones time and advice.
      To explain a little about my situation, I have a BA in Kinesiology that i completed in 2016. I became a personal trainer after school and really fell in love with client interactions, but felt as though I could do more for myself and my career. I went back to complete some science pre requisites for Physical Therapy school but realized DPT wasn't for me. I decided to leave my job at the commercial training job to work with partners/friends at a private training gym that we started together. This was tough at the time, and unfortunately COVID ruined our business, and lost my job.
      I was lost, bitter and decided I no longer wanted to be a trainer anymore. I hate the business side of it after grinding in that sector for years, but love working with patients and healthcare. I wanted more for my life. My family is full of medical professionals and always loved the healthcare environment. I decided to go back to school online while locked down to keep me busy and learning more about health. I was accepted into an MS of kinesiology and have been realizing that its not as fun for me as it used to be since I want something different. I am fully intending to apply to PA school next year after I finish my masters and remaining pre-reqs this summer.
      With that being said, I currently have the option to switch my graduate focus from MS Kinesiology to MS Health Sciences, which has courses in Epidemiology, Global Health, Theories and models of health behaviors, Program design and evaluation, etc.
      I emailed my advisor to make the switch as I feel as though it will make my application stronger for PA school, but am now unsure if it will make a difference between MS Kine or Health Sciences. 
      Any thoughts or comments?
      Thank you so much for your time
    • By KellyYe
      Hi, thank you to every one who dropped by to help! Below are the science courses I took in order, with grades:
      general biology I (C- first time, A second time), general biology II (B-)
      **general chemistry I (C+), general chemistry II (C) --- both with labs
      general physiology (B)
      biochemistry (B)
      organic chem I (B-), organic chem II (B-)
      genetics (B-)
      microbiology (A)
      human anatomy (A)
      endocrinology (A)

Planning on taking: immunology, human physiology, developmental biology, medical terminology OR primate anatomy 
      I'm currently a second term senior at a university, and I graduate Spring 2021. Many people advise students to not retake basic courses and focus on upper level courses, but there are also many people who suggest to retake any basic course with C grades to show PA schools that the first grades I received do not define my capability.
      Any opinion on whether I should spend extra time to retake general chemistry I and II ? If I should retake them, then should I enroll in the labs again or that won't be necessary since I already took them the first time I took the courses?

Thank you again for your time!

• By Dlee9
      Hi there,
      I (27y/o) am making a career change from business to become a PA. I'm currently looking at possible positions for PCE. The only thing is that I'm currently making good money and I know I'll need to take a pay cut from where I'm at for these PCE jobs but I still need to be able to pay my bills. I can't quit my job to devote time to getting a cert that will take 1-2 years as I'm single and provide for myself. What kind of PCE jobs are out there that don't require a lot of time to get certified or require no certification at all that will pay well?
      Thanks in advanced.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More