Can’t find a job in DFW area

I am a new PA (graduated in August 2019) and I’ve been working at a VA emergency department for 9 months now. I’ve been looking for a job in the DFW area for six months now without any luck. I’ve applied to 50+ jobs without any interviews or job offers. What am I doing wrong? Is it usually this difficult for a new PA to get a job in an urban area like DFW? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

It's been a while since I worked in Texas, but I seem to recall the UNTHSC PA program had a job board online.....might be worth checking out if it still exists.  OP, you might want to be flexible when it comes to which specialty you want to work in.....right now with EM census down across the country, getting your foot into a new ER will be very difficult no matter where you go.   

Good luck

16 hours ago, PADFW said:

I am a new PA (graduated in August 2019) and I’ve been working at a VA emergency department for 9 months now. I’ve been looking for a job in the DFW area for six months now without any luck. I’ve applied to 50+ jobs without any interviews or job offers. What am I doing wrong? Is it usually this difficult for a new PA to get a job in an urban area like DFW? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

You are in one of the most over saturated markets in the country during a time when many PAs have been furloughed, had their hours reduced, or simply been let go due to low patient volume. You are in the wrong place (on a good day) at a bad time.

One of my favorite wise old sayings is...the more you limit your options the more your options are limited. If you limit yourself geographically, have a particular specialty in mind, or high salary expectations (or some combination of those) your chances drop significantly.

I know not everyone can move (I am in a similar position right now) but if you can I'd get out of DFW and start looking for places that need help and would be glad to have you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

You are in one of the most over saturated markets in the country during a time when many PAs have been furloughed, had their hours reduced, or simply been let go due to low patient volume. You are in the wrong place (on a good day) at a bad time.

One of my favorite wise old sayings is...the more you limit your options the more your options are limited. If you limit yourself geographically, have a particular specialty in mind, or high salary expectations (or some combination of those) your chances drop significantly.

I know not everyone can move (I am in a similar position right now) but if you can I'd get out of DFW and start looking for places that need help and would be glad to have you.

^^^ This!

• Like 1

Thus, I moved from DFW 20 yrs ago to a state with better PA laws and privileges.

The market is too saturated, the laws weak and the Texas Medical Board is still a good ole boy system of doctors.

Sorry, OP - there isn't much good to say - on a good day and I was born and raised in Texas.

Being gone for 20 yrs is great perspective, though. 

Broaden your horizons and remember that this pandemic is messing everything up even more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1