University of Nevada, Reno 2020-2021 Cycle

8 hours ago, Nomnia said:

Applied 6/5. graduated from UNR. Waiting to hear. I did see others had pretty fast responses. I’m hoping to hear good news soon.  

You should hear something soon! At least whether you passed the initial screening and in that case they’ll send you the secondary... beware the secondary responses are 250 characters max. The secondary questions are regarding an extension of the first essay question in the supplementals, struggles you foresee in PA school, and extra info about yourself that you didn’t have elsewhere on your app. Hope that helps. 🙂

I graduated from UNR too, when did you graduate?

Does anyone here know anything about this program accepting those from out of state? I am from California and debating against applying here because of the question on CASPA : "Based on your interest and prior experiences, describe how you will contribute to the improvement of healthcare in Nevada."

I truthfully don't know if I plan on remaining to practice in Nevada after I graduate. I'm kind of open to considering anywhere I get in and then once living there seeing how I feel and if I love it enough to want to stay. I don't want to answer falsely but also don't want to pay to apply if my chance are close to none considering they might only be admitting those who are sure of a future as a PA in Nevada. 

Any advice?

50 minutes ago, ChristineAndersonPrePA said:

Does anyone here know anything about this program accepting those from out of state? I am from California and debating against applying here because of the question on CASPA : "Based on your interest and prior experiences, describe how you will contribute to the improvement of healthcare in Nevada."

I truthfully don't know if I plan on remaining to practice in Nevada after I graduate. I'm kind of open to considering anywhere I get in and then once living there seeing how I feel and if I love it enough to want to stay. I don't want to answer falsely but also don't want to pay to apply if my chance are close to none considering they might only be admitting those who are sure of a future as a PA in Nevada. 

Any advice?

This program definitely favors NV residents, but they accept several out of state people every cycle. If I had to guess I would say those out of state people have strong ties to NV or provide good reasons for why they will remain in NV as a PA. I wouldn't recommend this program to someone who doesn't want to practice here, and if you do apply definitely don't say you will leave Reno as soon as you finish school!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone get an email after they completed their secondary application from the link they sent that their secondary application was received? I got an email a day or 2 after I applied to fill out the secondary app and I just remember submitting it and that was it. I’m assuming no one will hear anything from the program about interviews until after their deadline in September. 

23 hours ago, taylorfelix said:

Did anyone get an email after they completed their secondary application from the link they sent that their secondary application was received? I got an email a day or 2 after I applied to fill out the secondary app and I just remember submitting it and that was it. I’m assuming no one will hear anything from the program about interviews until after their deadline in September. 

From what I have heard from current students and read on the forums from previous years... this is normal. I also haven’t heard anything since they sent me the secondary but I believe they will start sending out interview invites within the next couple of weeks! As far as I know they have 1 interview per month September through December on a Friday and Saturday. 🙂 

Edited by Soontobepagirl

12 hours ago, Soontobepagirl said:

From what I have heard from current students and read on the forums from previous years... this is normal. I also haven’t heard anything since they sent me the secondary but I believe they will start sending out interview invites within the next couple of weeks! As far as I know they have 1 interview per month September through December on a Friday and Saturday. 🙂 

Thanks so much for the information!! I bet the interview with be zoom like the rest of the schools are doing. Has anyone been to the campus where the PA school is located? I know it south of the main campus in Reno.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, taylorfelix said:

Thanks so much for the information!! I bet the interview with be zoom like the rest of the schools are doing. Has anyone been to the campus where the PA school is located? I know it south of the main campus in Reno.

I have a feeling it will too which kinda sucks. A friend told me that last year they did a dinner meet and greet thing on Friday and the interview all day Saturday.

Also, yes I was lucky enough to tour the campus with the UNR pre-PA club! It’s a very small campus, but I liked that because it made it feel like a close knit environment. The classroom is small being that they only have 24 students per year and the faculty offices are right next to it, and they have a small kitchen/hang out area right off the classroom. They have a social work program and TMCC has their EMT courses over there too! Also, I have heard that on some Friday’s the PA students go to the main campus in north Reno to work in the anatomy cadaver lab which I find super neat!

Edited by Soontobepagirl

Hello everyone! I am brand new to this forum, and this is my first post. I am very excited to say that I received an interview invitation from UNR yesterday, 8/17/2020. That date will go down in history as the best day of my life so far! Has anyone else gotten an invite yet? Would anyone be interested in chatting over zoom and doing a super casual sort of mock interview? 

Good luck to you all!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocush said:

Hello everyone! I am brand new to this forum, and this is my first post. I am very excited to say that I received an interview invitation from UNR yesterday, 8/17/2020. That date will go down in history as the best day of my life so far! Has anyone else gotten an invite yet? Would anyone be interested in chatting over zoom and doing a super casual sort of mock interview? 

Good luck to you all!!

That’s awesome! Congratulations! I was wondering when they would start sending invites. When did you apply and are you a resident of NV?

Good luck to you all!!

Also, when did you submit/verify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, anthrobiologist said:

Also, when did you submit/verify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I submitted July 6th, verified about a week later.

I live in the South Lake Tahoe area just over on the California side. I have a history of living, working, and volunteering in Nevada with a desire to live there permanently once I am through with school.

2 hours ago, Ocush said:

I submitted July 6th, verified about a week later.

I live in the South Lake Tahoe area just over on the California side. I have a history of living, working, and volunteering in Nevada with a desire to live there permanently once I am through with school.

When is your interview date? Thanks for sharing with us that you've been invited! Now we will all be on the lookout 🙂 good luck to you, it's an exciting moment!