2011 NHSC Scholar Default..

Greetings, I am writing for advice. I was accepted into a pa program. Won the scholarship mid way through summer quarter, and was forced to withdraw due to poor academic performance during Christmas after not passing some final exams. (what a christmas gift) (called before Med School board and hotseated, withdraw, or you will be removed, etc.)

I wrote a letter of withdrawl and explained the circumstances to NHSC.

I was thinking I would owe back strictly what they gave me for summer and fall quarter,(26k) with no interest if under 3 years paid in full (see number 1). I waited for 6 months after constant phone calls and recieved a DEFAULT letter from DEBT MANAGEMENT BRANCH DIVISION OF FINANCIAL OPERATIONS PROGRAM SUPPORT CENTER yesterday

Stating that I owe the original amount x3 +10%, a total of 86k, due in 6 months on January 2 2013.:saddd:

Did they place me in the wrong section below, or DO BOTH 1 AND 2 apply EVEN if just One applies to my specific reason-failing PA school.

So, being away from my family for a year with nothing to show, now I owe 85k or they take home, garnish wages etc? I wrote the legal and compliance regarding what is stated below and hope they get back to me asap stating that they made a mistake, and yes, your circumstance in Number 1. OWE ORIGINALY WHAT WAS GIVEN. =D.png

[ATTACH=CONFIG]902[/ATTACH]

Greetings, I am writing for advice. I was accepted into a pa program. Won the scholarship mid way through summer quarter, and was forced to withdraw due to poor academic performance during Christmas after not passing some final exams. (what a christmas gift) (called before Med School board and hotseated, withdraw, or you will be removed, etc.)

I wrote a letter of withdrawl and explained the circumstances to NHSC.

I was thinking I would owe back strictly what they gave me for summer and fall quarter,(26k) with no interest if under 3 years paid in full (see number 1). I waited for 6 months after constant phone calls and recieved a DEFAULT letter from DEBT MANAGEMENT BRANCH DIVISION OF FINANCIAL OPERATIONS PROGRAM SUPPORT CENTER yesterday

Stating that I owe the original amount x3 +10%, a total of 86k, due in 6 months on January 2 2013.:saddd:

Did they place me in the wrong section below, or DO BOTH 1 AND 2 apply EVEN if just One applies to my specific reason-failing PA school.

So, being away from my family for a year with nothing to show, now I owe 85k or they take home, garnish wages etc? I wrote the legal and compliance regarding what is stated below and hope they get back to me asap stating that they made a mistake, and yes, your circumstance in Number 1. OWE ORIGINALY WHAT WAS GIVEN. =D.png

post-58053-137934851157_thumb.png

Wow. That is seriously crazy. I would only think 1 applies to you. They can't hold you accountable for failing school and ALSO for not fulfilling your comittment. If 1 happens, you can't possibly do 2. Contact anyone/everyone you can find on the NHSC website. If that fails (and even if it doesn't), I think you need a lawyer. Good luck. And sorry it didn't work out. You must be a hard worker and passionate, too, to have gotten the scholarship in the first place. I can't believe you couldnt' work it out with your school. It's a loss to you and your would-have-been patients.

Wow. That is seriously crazy. I would only think 1 applies to you. They can't hold you accountable for failing school and ALSO for not fulfilling your comittment. If 1 happens, you can't possibly do 2. Contact anyone/everyone you can find on the NHSC website. If that fails (and even if it doesn't), I think you need a lawyer. Good luck. And sorry it didn't work out. You must be a hard worker and passionate, too, to have gotten the scholarship in the first place. I can't believe you couldnt' work it out with your school. It's a loss to you and your would-have-been patients.

Joanna.nola and Mjohnson3604, thanks for responding, in the heat of mid quarter, I remembers signing the contract but cant find the darn copy. Mjohn, are you a 2011 scholar? In your contract does it state about #1=failure to complete academic training-only payback of what was given within 3 years, or does it say you are in default, owebackx3 +10% no matter if you left studies or not?

I ask, because that image above of the breaching scenarios was taken off the guide, not the contract,

oh wait, I just recieved another email from a 2009 scholar. Here is what her contract states. I hope it is similiar to mine from 2011 that I cant find at the moment.

"

Section C - Breach of Scholarship Contract

1. If the applicant:

a. fails to maintain an acceptable level of academic standing in the course of study for which the scholarship award is provided,

b. voluntarily terminates academic training before the completion of such training, or

c. is dismissed from the educational institution for disciplinary reasons,

then the applicant shall, instead of performing the service obligation, repay to the United States all funds paid to the applicant and to the educational institution under this contact. Payment of this amount must be made within 3 years of the date the applicant becomes liable to make payment under this paragraph.

It then goes on to state that if you fail to complete the obligated service for any reason other than stated in paragraph 1 that you shall pay it back as "an amount equal to three times the scholarship funds awarded, plus interest..." and "...shall be paid within one year of the date... that the applicant has failed to begin or complete the period of obligated service."

Why are not they categorizing me as under #1 section 3?

/fingers crossed.

Joanna.nola and Mjohnson3604, thanks for responding, in the heat of mid quarter, I remembers signing the contract but cant find the darn copy. Mjohn, are you a 2011 scholar? In your contract does it state about #1=failure to complete academic training-only payback of what was given within 3 years, or does it say you are in default, owebackx3 +10% no matter if you left studies or not?

I ask, because that image above of the breaching scenarios was taken off the guide, not the contract,

oh wait, I just recieved another email from a 2009 scholar. Here is what her contract states. I hope it is similiar to mine from 2011 that I cant find at the moment.

"

Section C - Breach of Scholarship Contract

1. If the applicant:

a. fails to maintain an acceptable level of academic standing in the course of study for which the scholarship award is provided,

b. voluntarily terminates academic training before the completion of such training, or

c. is dismissed from the educational institution for disciplinary reasons,

then the applicant shall, instead of performing the service obligation, repay to the United States all funds paid to the applicant and to the educational institution under this contact. Payment of this amount must be made within 3 years of the date the applicant becomes liable to make payment under this paragraph.

It then goes on to state that if you fail to complete the obligated service for any reason other than stated in paragraph 1 that you shall pay it back as "an amount equal to three times the scholarship funds awarded, plus interest..." and "...shall be paid within one year of the date... that the applicant has failed to begin or complete the period of obligated service."

Why are not they categorizing me as under #1 section 3?

/fingers crossed.

Ok got it straightened out after I brought it to their attention. They made a 2nd mistake though of making the total due in 6 months when it should be due in 3 years with zero interest according to Section C of the contract. They sent another email stating it will be corrected also. For those of you that are considering the NHSC, I have friends that did the loan repayment program without a hassle, and of course they were done with their studies. If you are a P.A. student considering getting the scholarship, AND CAN GET THROUGH P.A.SCHOOL, GO FOR IT! If not, and you are not prepared for living through all the SAW movies condensed into one single CRAM study MARATHON, do not even think of the scholarship program. If you are a prospective P.A. student with significant military/EMS/Medic/experience. No problem. The stipend you get per month is very nice and helps alot. For now, the reduction from 86k due in 6 months to 26k due in 2.5 yrs is very comfortable. Kinda like paying for that nice SUV we never get to drive.

I want to thank you for brining the debt invoice to our attention. You are correct the default debt should not be the triple but the single. I think this was a mistake from DFO and once they get in we will get it fixed and get you a new copy. Please give me an email with any other questions. Thanks.

Public Health Analyst

Office of Legal and Compliance

Bureau of Clinician Recruitment and Service

5600 Fishers Lane

Room 18-105

Rockville, MD

Archived