UTMB 2020-2021

7 minutes ago, futurepa2023 said:

Will they notify about waitlists/rejections at the same time they do acceptances for each interview day? Or did they say?

From what I understood, they are only allowed to send out a certain number of acceptances after each interview, and they said if you don't hear back right away, that doesn't mean you're not accepted. You could get an acceptance a month later. They said that everyone would know if they are waitlisted or rejected by November (from what I remember). I'm thinking by that that we won't be hearing rejections/waitlist until final decisions are made.. They went over it during the interview, but I honestly do not remember the details.. Will definitely update you as I hear back though!

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 6:18 PM, kathleenl said:

I would love to hear from current UTMB PA students: 

1) What do you like about the UTMB PA Program?

2) What resources are available to students to help them succeed in PA school? (ex: tutoring centers, office hours, open lab, student orgs, etc) 

3) What does a typical day look like as a PA-S? Before and during COVID. 

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi there! Current UTMB PA student and will be helping at interviews tomorrow morning! So excited to meet y'all. 

1) The faculty is super down to earth and SO laid back! I'm super type A so I absolutely love that they are so mellow! UTMB is also super well known in the medical community, especially in Texas so it's great to be at a school with such a good reputation! One of my favorite things that I am about to start is volunteering at St. Vincent's student clinic (run by UTMB students) here in Galveston. You get to work with underserved communities and get hands on clinical experiences during didactic year before clinicals.

2) There are a TON of organizations and volunteering opportunities here at UTMB. UTMB is huge on community service and community outreach so their is no shortage on these types of resources! They also have free tutoring for classes starting in fall, we are about to have our first few tutoring sessions on zoom happen here soon. With COVID we have been mostly online for lectures and each class has a designated office hour per week on zoom. 

3) I started back in July so I am definitely in the middle of the COVID area unfortunately but I know that before COVID- all lectures/labs were in person. Currently we have all lecture portions of our classes online through zoom or panopto (recorded lecture videos) and our labs are fully in person! We are currently in Anatomy lab in person (doing dissections) once a week and have another lab for a class twice a week that focuses on learning physical exams/clinical skills. All exams are done in the testing center on campus! Fall is super busy and jam packed for sure but we are thankful to be here!

See y'all tomorrow during interviews! Good luck, don't be nervous- the faculty is amazing and so sweet!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, cdciemo13 said:

UPDATE: I emailed Shirley McGraw and she said that the committee has not even met yet about any of the interview dates. She said that they are waiting for a few more interview sessions and will meet in one big zoom meeting! Don’t lose hope if you haven’t heard anything because nobody has!

Thank you for sharing that! Makes me feel a lot better!

2 hours ago, cdciemo13 said:

UPDATE: I emailed Shirley McGraw and she said that the committee has not even met yet about any of the interview dates. She said that they are waiting for a few more interview sessions and will meet in one big zoom meeting! Don’t lose hope if you haven’t heard anything because nobody has!

I interviewed on 9/11 and they said that some of us will hear back this Thursday or Friday! Fingers crossed!

5 minutes ago, Sheni said:

Hi guys! For those of you that interviewed already, the call before hand to just talk about prereqs is that a video call or regular phone call?

Hi Sheni! My prereq review was over the phone. It only took a few minutes. 

Edited by Slovetx
correction
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TxFuturePA said:

Is the prereq review something that everybody does? I didn't get any information about this! My interview is on October 1st.

They sent me an email about a week out from my interview. If you don't have any courses in progress, they may not even contact you. You can always call a few days prior to your interview just to double check. Shirley McGraw is super helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

17 minutes ago, TxFuturePA said:

Is the prereq review something that everybody does? I didn't get any information about this! My interview is on October 1st.

I’m interviewing 9/25, but I think everyone does it because I had no pre reqs pending. She just called me to assure me I was good to go! She’s super nice and the call was only a few minutes long. 

1 minute ago, ca123 said:

Just got my acceptance email and I am beyond excited!!!

I submitted my application late may, was verified early June, and interviewed on 9/4!

GPA: 4.0

sGPA: 4.0

Health care experience: 1,500 scribing hours

Omg Congrats! That is amazing! I have my interview next week I hope it goes well. 🙂

17 minutes ago, ca123 said:

Just got my acceptance email and I am beyond excited!!!

I submitted my application late may, was verified early June, and interviewed on 9/4!

GPA: 4.0

sGPA: 4.0

Health care experience: 1,500 scribing hours

Got mine as well and I am so happy!!! Can’t wait to meet you next year!!! Congratulations!! 

• Like 4