8 minutes ago, polevaulter said:

Interesting. I have not received this email, nor have I gotten anything since my initial under review email on July 16th following submitting my materials at the end of June. I'm sorry I can't provide any insight on this, but I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully just a generic email. 

Thank you 🙂 Yes, hopefully just a generic email! It's so hard to not looking into these things.

3 hours ago, Txbluebonnet said:

Did anyone receive this email today?

Virtual Information Session PhD in Health Sciences

"Join us for a Zoom webinar on Tuesday, November 17, 2020, from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm, to learn more about the Ph.D. in Health Sciences program.

The Doctor of Philosophy in Health Sciences degree program is designed to prepare allied health professionals to assume major leadership, research, and educational positions within their professions."

I had just spoken to admissions this morning, and was told my application was still "under faculty review". Then an hour or two later I received the above email. I can't help but feel discouraged. I remember while I waited to hear back from UNTHSC, I received something similar, and then a month later got a rejection. It's like they put aside a pile of competitive but not selected applicants and then send off these promotional emails for other programs within the school. UTHSCSA is my top choice, and it's my 3rd time applying. I hope I'm simply looking too far into it. I was told rejection emails have been sent out over the weeks, but I haven't received one, yet. I was hopeful after talking to admissions this morning, and then I got that promotion email for a PhD program. Now I feel bummed.

Does anyone have insight or a similar experience? I would like to still have hope.

I wouldn’t let this email psyche you out. I got emails like this from different schools after being invited to interview but before the actual interview. I think it’s in the schools best interest to promote their programs to everyone and shouldn’t be take personally. Youre not rejected till you get the rejection letter!

I hope this helps you and that you get good news soon!

Edited by Nmknights
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Txbluebonnet said:

Did anyone receive this email today?

Virtual Information Session PhD in Health Sciences

"Join us for a Zoom webinar on Tuesday, November 17, 2020, from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm, to learn more about the Ph.D. in Health Sciences program.

The Doctor of Philosophy in Health Sciences degree program is designed to prepare allied health professionals to assume major leadership, research, and educational positions within their professions."

I had just spoken to admissions this morning, and was told my application was still "under faculty review". Then an hour or two later I received the above email. I can't help but feel discouraged. I remember while I waited to hear back from UNTHSC, I received something similar, and then a month later got a rejection. It's like they put aside a pile of competitive but not selected applicants and then send off these promotional emails for other programs within the school. UTHSCSA is my top choice, and it's my 3rd time applying. I hope I'm simply looking too far into it. I was told rejection emails have been sent out over the weeks, but I haven't received one, yet. I was hopeful after talking to admissions this morning, and then I got that promotion email for a PhD program. Now I feel bummed.

Does anyone have insight or a similar experience? I would like to still have hope.

Can I ask what you did to improve you application? This is my first time applying and im worried. why didn't they accept you the last 2 cycles? 

17 minutes ago, ARHEES said:

Can I ask what you did to improve you application? This is my first time applying and im worried. why didn't they accept you the last 2 cycles? 

After not getting an interview in 2012 and 2013, I met with the admissions coordinator at the time (I live in San Antonio). His advice was I gain patient care experience, increase my volunteer hours and retake any courses that I made C's. I had only my bachelors then, so it was hard to show significant academic growth and improvement. My undergrad GPA wasn't strong, like 3.1 something and a 3.2 science GPA, plus a poor GRE and minimal experiences probably greatly affected my interview chances then. It's now been a 7 year gap since I last applied in 2013. I obtained a master's in nutrition and became a practicing registered dietitian the last 5 years. So I've been able to acquire a lot of great patient care experiences in the ICU/hospital settings, community nutrition and diabetes management. For this cycle, I retook all the pre-requisites for UTHSCSA (which many had expired since I got my bachelor's in 2010) and made all A's. Also achieved nearly a 4.0 with my master's degree. My GRE is still my weak spot I think, always has been. 

I'm hoping a much improved academic record, numerous patient care experiences and volunteering in the community has made some kind of difference! Also spent much time on a strong personal statement, and tried to select the right people for LORs. But I know it's a tough situation, they receive upwards of 2-3k applicants each cycle for 45 seats.  

I'm worried too! But there should be another interview in December, I had spoken to admissions on Friday. Best of luck to you, there still is hope 🙂 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nmknights said:

I wouldn’t let this email psyche you out. I got emails like this from different schools after being invited to interview but before the actual interview. I think it’s in the schools best interest to promote their programs to everyone and shouldn’t be take personally. Youre not rejected till you get the rejection letter!

I hope this helps you and that you get good news soon!

Thank you! I really needed to hear this 🙂 .

On 11/14/2020 at 6:33 PM, Txbluebonnet said:

After not getting an interview in 2012 and 2013, I met with the admissions coordinator at the time (I live in San Antonio). His advice was I gain patient care experience, increase my volunteer hours and retake any courses that I made C's. I had only my bachelors then, so it was hard to show significant academic growth and improvement. My undergrad GPA wasn't strong, like 3.1 something and a 3.2 science GPA, plus a poor GRE and minimal experiences probably greatly affected my interview chances then. It's now been a 7 year gap since I last applied in 2013. I obtained a master's in nutrition and became a practicing registered dietitian the last 5 years. So I've been able to acquire a lot of great patient care experiences in the ICU/hospital settings, community nutrition and diabetes management. For this cycle, I retook all the pre-requisites for UTHSCSA (which many had expired since I got my bachelor's in 2010) and made all A's. Also achieved nearly a 4.0 with my master's degree. My GRE is still my weak spot I think, always has been. 

I'm hoping a much improved academic record, numerous patient care experiences and volunteering in the community has made some kind of difference! Also spent much time on a strong personal statement, and tried to select the right people for LORs. But I know it's a tough situation, they receive upwards of 2-3k applicants each cycle for 45 seats.  

I'm worried too! But there should be another interview in December, I had spoken to admissions on Friday. Best of luck to you, there still is hope 🙂 

Wow that's impressive. They would be crazy not to pick you now. I'm sure you'll get in this time. Best of luck 

Quick technical question for those who have interviewed already. I’m interviewing on Nov 19, and was wondering if anyone did the interview using the Zoom app on their phone. My phone has the better camera compared to my tablet/laptop, so I figure the video will be clearer if I use it, but was wondering about the ease of use/accessibility for the MMI style meetings on Zoom. I haven’t used Zoom at all, so just wondering if people have experience with it or have any input. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Swesl said:

Quick technical question for those who have interviewed already. I’m interviewing on Nov 19, and was wondering if anyone did the interview using the Zoom app on their phone. My phone has the better camera compared to my tablet/laptop, so I figure the video will be clearer if I use it, but was wondering about the ease of use/accessibility for the MMI style meetings on Zoom. I haven’t used Zoom at all, so just wondering if people have experience with it or have any input. Thanks!

I have not interviewed with San Antonio, but I have interviewed at other schools that used Zoom. I would recommend using your computer or a friends. Zoom is somewhat difficult to use on one's phone from my experience, and you really want your experience to be as stress free as possible. Also, on the computer, you can see more people at a time.

1 hour ago, Destinee said:

Has anyone from the 11/19 interview heard anything yet? I interviewed 10/19. Just trying to gauge whether or not I should be waiting for a call this week or if I get to continue waiting until after the next interview😅 Thanks in advance friends!

Interviewed 11/19, and nothing yet. It’s only been two work days since the interview though, so figure they need more time to meet/discuss candidates from my group.

I interviewed 11/19 and just got my acceptance call at 4:50pm!!!! Good luck to everyone! 

Guys don't give up! I honestly applied to this school 2 min before they closed this application, got an interview, and here I am now 😄 

My friend told me, "you miss 100% of the shot you never take, but if you at least try, you have a chance to get in." (quoted not from Michael Scott but possibly from Wayne Gretzky?)

I hope that you guys and the next applicants who read this feel encouraged :))) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, han705 said:

I interviewed 11/19 and just got my acceptance call at 4:50pm!!!! Good luck to everyone! 

Guys don't give up! I honestly applied to this school 2 min before they closed this application, got an interview, and here I am now 😄 

My friend told me, "you miss 100% of the shot you never take, but if you at least try, you have a chance to get in." (quoted not from Michael Scott but possibly from Wayne Gretzky?)

I hope that you guys and the next applicants who read this feel encouraged :))) 

Congrats! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Swesl said:

Got the acceptance call about 30 minutes after saying I hadn’t heard anything...figured haha! Congrats to everyone else who got the call and good luck to everyone!

Hi! Congratulations!! I received a call from UTSA around 4:30 yesterday,  but I missed it. I haven’t received an email though, did you get your acceptance email right after the call? I’m so confused! 

6 minutes ago, ryay93 said:

Hi! Congratulations!! I received a call from UTSA around 4:30 yesterday,  but I missed it. I haven’t received an email though, did you get your acceptance email right after the call? I’m so confused! 

I believe I saw someone on this forum missed the call and got their email a week after the call. Sounds like you'll be getting good news though if you received a call😊 Congrats!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryay93 said:

Thanks! I haven’t gotten an email yet. They said they would send it out, but they weren’t sure if it would be before or after thanksgiving break. 

1 hour ago, Swesl said:

Thanks! I haven’t gotten an email yet. They said they would send it out, but they weren’t sure if it would be before or after thanksgiving break. 

Hi! She called me again this morning and I received my acceptance email an hour ago! I cannot believe it, I’m so so happy! I interviewed oct.19th!

• Like 2