On 9/5/2020 at 9:19 AM, kathleenl said:

I would love to hear from current UTHSCSA PA students: 

1) What do you like about the UTHSCSA PA Program?

2) What resources are available to students to help them succeed in PA school? (ex: tutoring centers, office hours, open lab, student orgs, etc) 

3) What does a typical day look like as a PA-S? Before and during COVID. 

Thank you so much in advance!

On 9/5/2020 at 9:19 AM, kathleenl said:

Hi!

I am currently a first year at the program here at UT Health! As you can imagine, our experience has been a little bit different than years prior due to COVID, but I can let you know my experience so far.

1) This program is so special. You have one of the smallest class sizes in Texas, so you really get to know your classmates and professors which is so valuable in this profession. Additionally, you don't sacrifice small class sizes for small resources, because our program is part of the very well established UT Health system along with the medical, nursing, PT, RT, dental schools etc. The facilities are great and you are right next to University Hospital where you may have a few rotations at. San Antonio is a great city, so it is really a joy to get to learn here even though everything is closed now due to COVID, but when things pick back up, there is so much to do/see. In my opinion, the BEST thing about this program that no other school in Texas does is that it gives you FIVE elective rotations. Thats 5 rotations to do whatever type of specialty you want. This is so invaluable when figuring out exactly what type of medicine you want do and also when applying for jobs or residencies, if you have experience in these areas of interest before applying. The faculty does such a good job at picking people for their cohort; truly everyone I met is so intelligent, kind and is here for the right reasons. There is no spirit of competitiveness (you only compete with yourself), and we all collaborate and share resources. Very different from undergrad!

2) You have just about all the resources any other school has, and maybe then some. I'm honestly not sure about tutoring centers... I think if you get into this program its sort of expected that you are competent enough as to be able to study on your own (considering you made it this far in your academic career), but there is definitely office hours, open lab, and plenty of student orgs. You also get to do your own cadaver dissection which is cool (if you guys will be in person). We do inter-professional education here too, which is pretty unique to this program. You can do student government too. 

3) A typical day in PA school is pretty hard. You're in class anywhere from 4-8 hours everyday. Basically wake, eat, go to class, study, sleep repeat. Some people that really really have their stuff together (or are okay with compromising grades for better balance) can have a little bit more free time. In PA school there are very busy weeks and then super busy weeks. However, everyone says didactic is the most grueling part, so if you can put up with being exhausted for one year, then you will make it to clinicals which are more exciting (but still a lot of work). On the bright side, our program has some of the highest PANCE pass rates in Texas so all that exhaustion pays off in the end. And we still find time to have fun and hang out with each other after exams! With COVID, all of our classes are online except for clinical skills and patient evaluation (which you have to be in person for). Some people really like it that way, some people hate it -- I really don't think it makes a difference in the quality of the education, its just harder to focus at home sometimes, but we are hoping we won't be like this for too much longer. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by uthpas
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, biancaalonda88 said:

I was verified in the beginning of July but I haven't received anything yet and it seems as they have already moved on to those who were verified in August. Should I be worried yet? I have not received a rejection email either.

I'm in the same situation. I guess we just have to wait it out until a rejection is received 

Edited by Pa98173jd
  • Upvote 1

I was verified in the beginning of July but I haven't received anything yet and it seems as they have already moved on to those who were verified in August. Should I be worried yet? I have not received a rejection email either.

I was verified at the beginning of july but just got a notification a week ago that my application was sent for further review. Im not sure if this means im not automatically rejected yet and there’s still hope or what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, PrePAdiana said:

I was verified at the beginning of july but just got a notification a week ago that my application was sent for further review. Im not sure if this means im not automatically rejected yet and there’s still hope or what

I am in the same boat!! I hope we start hearing back soon!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PrePAdiana said:

Hi all! I was verified at the end of July and today I received the short, one-liner email stating that my application has been sent over to the admissions committee for review! Crossing my fingers hard for an interview 🤞 Good luck to all as this tantalizing cycle goes on haha 😄 

• Upvote 1

So my application was verified in mid-May, and I never received the "application under review" email! I even sent an email to the admissions department about it, and all they told me was "your application is complete and being reviewed, we will let you know when there are any updates"

What does this mean?! I even pointed out that a colleague had received the email and I hadn't and they didn't say anything about what that email meant.