Probationary status

• 4 weeks later...

This is the response I received from the school:

"Our status is based off clinical component, specifically the General Surgery, Women's Health and Emergency Medicine rotations, all of which have been addressed. We are in compliance but will have the temporary probation until the next on-site visit by the ARC-PA in March of 2014. We have also reduced our class size and increased the number of preceptors to address the needs of probation. We have assurance we will meet the standards at the next review."

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's common knowledge but if ASHS's review does not go as they anticipate in 2014, students in the program will not be able to sit for the PANCE and the money will not be refunded. Has anyone talked to a student currently in the PA program? How bad are the rotations and are there significant improvements now?

Hi Molly,

According to the NCCPA, "To be eligible for PANCE, you must graduate from a program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) as a Physician Assistant Program or a Surgeon Assistant Program. PA program graduates will be deemed to have graduated from an accredited program if their PA educational program was accredited at the time of their matriculation."

The program still holds their accreditation so for those of us graduating in 2014 and 2015, you can rest assured that you will be able to sit for the PANCE.

I hope that helps!

Hi Molly,

According to the NCCPA, "To be eligible for PANCE, you must graduate from a program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) as a Physician Assistant Program or a Surgeon Assistant Program. PA program graduates will be deemed to have graduated from an accredited program if their PA educational program was accredited at the time of their matriculation."

The program still holds their accreditation so for those of us graduating in 2014 and 2015, you can rest assured that you will be able to sit for the PANCE.

I hope that helps!

I heard this as well from the program director in an open house meeting I attended recently. That was my biggest concern with their accreditation status. They're implementing and have implemented several corrective actions, including reducing the class size, to address the issue of securing appropriate clinical rotation assignments. You can call and speak with the program directly, they've been open with their communications about the matter. I spoke with a first year student who has indicated things are in order and they're on top of things.

Thanks for checking in Lisa,

PA schools are competitive and not cheap. I would not be happy if I found out half way through the program that all my hard work and money was for nothing. I got my information about this when I called the program, I'm glad they are being very transparent about this. When you spoke to the first year, was the only issue that students were not getting those clinical rotations? Was there mention about the clinical experience in the rotation?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I interviewed on 8/15/2013 and they discussed the accreditation issue. They made it clear that they have not taken it lightly. A.T. Still has a long and positive tradition - they do not want their reputation to be tarnished by having one of their programs lose accreditation. Furthermore, if the PA program loses accreditation, you can bet that the other programs (DO, dentistry, etc.) will probably face increased scrutiny as well.

They have indeed made some significant changes to the PA program, not only to their clinical rotations (the reason they were put on probation in the first place), but also to the didactic portion. I heard from a couple current students that the preliminary data with PACKRAT (program that tests students similarly to PANCE) results shows the next graduating class may have one of the highest PANCE pass rates nationwide.

They have a new director and have made the class size smaller (50 students). The smaller class size alone will help in setting up the proper clinical rotations, but they have also improved their connections and have gotten more strict in making sure every student completes the necessary rotations.

The next ARC-PA evaluation is indeed in March, 2014. The director said there are three potential outcomes: 1) ARC-PA determines the program has made the necessary improvements and is completely back up to speed and they receive full accreditation again. 2) ARC-PA determines that the program is moving in the right direction, but needs continued improvement so the probationary status is lengthened to give them another year or so. 3) ARC-PA determines the issues have not been addressed and are so serious as to revoke accreditation completely (not likely, but... possible?).

In the event that the PA program loses all accreditation, as long as the program was accredited prior to entering the program, students can still complete their studies and sit for the PANCE exam. However, a program that loses accreditation has a responsibility to "teach out" all of their students and place them in other programs. Who knows how amenable these other programs would be towards accepting students from A.T. Still?

I would also like to add that the faculty seemed very dedicated towards the success of the program. Many of them are alumni so they have a personal interest in that regard. And of course, they also don't want to lose their jobs!

I was at the same interview as rcreek and uscbigdawg and I don't really have much to add except that the way they talked about it put me at ease. It doesn't feel at all like they're trying to pull a fast one on us or anything, the Director was just like, "Look, here's the situation, here's the possibilities..." I got good vibes, I guess is what I'm saying, for whatever that is worth :)

Also one of the current students said that part of the issue that lead to the whole probation thing is that usually for rotations you have to take a general surgery rotation before a specialized ones (like plastics) but that supposedly the program let some people go straight to plastics, etc. Made it sound like they cut some corners for some students but not like the program itself is bad, if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived