Jump to content

What is the most affordable DMSc? And quickest?


Recommended Posts

Lynchburg can be completed in 4 semesters (12 months), 25k 

Rocky Mountain - can also be completed in 4 semesters(16 months)  27k. Might be able to transfer some coursework to make it cheaper. 

AT Still - 18k, not sure how long

They have somewhat different curriculums and track options, so I’d look at that too 

Edited by iconic
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
On 5/23/2020 at 4:22 PM, iconic said:

Lynchburg can be completed in 4 semesters (12 months), 25k 

Rocky Mountain - can also be completed in 4 semesters(16 months)  27k. Might be able to transfer some coursework to make it cheaper. 

AT Still - 18k, not sure how long

They have somewhat different curriculums and track options, so I’d look at that too 

Answer to both questions

The AT still website says 2-3 years. That doesn’t mean it can’t be quicker. With their “technology fee” it’s comes to $19k and change. By far the cheapest.

the shortest is no doubt Lynchburg at 12 months. It is also 25k in tuition. I’m not sure about fees.
 

Plug for my choice: Butler says 2 years standard and 5 year max, but it is self paced so it can be faster if you really load yourself down. I’ll be shooting for one year, but 50 credits in 3 semesters while working full time will be a real challenge.

butler also has an option for 15 percent discount if you precept students (4 per year) making it $29,750. There are no fees. They had a mostly clinical curriculum with just the right amount of admin classes for me.

i cannot find anything about UNMC having a program.

currently unknown is anything about the new program at Rocky Mountain College. Supposedly to start 1/2021, but no information other than some news articles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The AT Still University DMSc program can be 2 or 3 years with three different tracks, Clinical (you create your own curriculum), Education, and Leadership.

Tuition is 18k total. 

I am part of the first cohort. 

kps

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KpsPac said:

The AT Still University DMSc program can be 2 or 3 years with three different tracks, Clinical (you create your own curriculum), Education, and Leadership.

Tuition is 18k total. 

I am part of the first cohort. 

kps

 

Which track are you pursuing? I've had their website opened on a browser tab for weeks now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My impression has been that Butler and LMU are the only two that include a primarily clinical track (courses that are taught in each body system). AT Still’s website doesn’t make their clinical track very clear. Can anyone clarify?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As of now I'm planning to start at RMU DMSc January 2021 (Healthcare Leadership and Administration concentration). I was informed by the program director that I'll likely be able to transfer 12 credits from my MHA courses into the program, leaving 24 credits left. And, if you have completed or are currently completing a postgraduate fellowship, you get a 15% discount off of tuition. Same if you are teaching. The total cost left for me will be $15k and will take 16 months to complete. Lynchburg unfortunately does not accept transfer credit unless it is from a previous doctorate or PhD so that kind of ruled Lynchburg out for me. With Butler, 50 credits for a postgraduate doctorate just seems like too many. PAs already have 100+ credit hours from their master's programs. Requiring another 50 would make it 150 credit hours for a doctorate... yikes. And the program costs $35k...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator
11 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

We should make a spreadsheet of the DMSc programs, cost, and credits required. I guess we can also include the MCPHS DScPAS degree which is just a weird name but whatever.

Don't forget the DHSc and DrPH options out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Don't forget the DHSc and DrPH options out there.

Hey EMED, do you know of any DrPH programs that would take someone without an MPH? I have an MS in biology and my PA master's degree, but no MPH. I would rather go the DrPH route than the DMS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
4 hours ago, lemurcatta said:

Hey EMED, do you know of any DrPH programs that would take someone without an MPH? I have an MS in biology and my PA master's degree, but no MPH. I would rather go the DrPH route than the DMS. 

check Boston University. I believe they will take you without the MPH, but you may have to do a bit of extra coursework.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice table.  NSU also has student fees of $405 per term in addition to the $671 per credit hour tuition.  When I was the PD students typically took between 2.5 years and 4 years to finish.  Average was a little under 3.  There were, and still are as far as I know, 4 terms per year with two required residential institutes of 3-5 days apiece, so travel costs are extra.   The program is interdisciplinary, so not all PAs, and, of course, many PAs now are going DMSc, choosing the briefer degree because of the large number of masters credits PAs typically have.  

Edited by rpackelly
Meow info
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
On 5/29/2020 at 5:46 PM, brandonhughey said:

As of now I'm planning to start at RMU DMSc January 2021 (Healthcare Leadership and Administration concentration). I was informed by the program director that I'll likely be able to transfer 12 credits from my MHA courses into the program, leaving 24 credits left. And, if you have completed or are currently completing a postgraduate fellowship, you get a 15% discount off of tuition. Same if you are teaching. The total cost left for me will be $15k and will take 16 months to complete. Lynchburg unfortunately does not accept transfer credit unless it is from a previous doctorate or PhD so that kind of ruled Lynchburg out for me. With Butler, 50 credits for a postgraduate doctorate just seems like too many. PAs already have 100+ credit hours from their master's programs. Requiring another 50 would make it 150 credit hours for a doctorate... yikes. And the program costs $35k...

The RMU program does look very good and I like the diversity of there concentrations. 

As for the length of butler, it is a primarily clinical program. And what is the number one thing MDs say about PA school? That we just gloss over the things. So in a way I'm avoiding a future argument by actually having more class work. As for the $35k, that's what you pay for private school tuition and agree, it's a lot. For me though, it's the best option for what I want out of a degree, allowing me to work, and GI bill is paying for it.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

The RMU program does look very good and I like the diversity of there concentrations. 

As for the length of butler, it is a primarily clinical program. And what is the number one thing MDs say about PA school? That we just gloss over the things. So in a way I'm avoiding a future argument by actually having more class work. As for the $35k, that's what you pay for private school tuition and agree, it's a lot. For me though, it's the best option for what I want out of a degree, allowing me to work, and GI bill is paying for it.

Those are great reasons. I can see the benefit of those courses. An extra 50 credits of medicine/science would look very impressive, and would make us look even better compared to DNP curriculum. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More