What is the most affordable DMSc? And quickest?

Lynchburg can be completed in 4 semesters (12 months), 25k 

Rocky Mountain - can also be completed in 4 semesters(16 months)  27k. Might be able to transfer some coursework to make it cheaper. 

AT Still - 18k, not sure how long

They have somewhat different curriculums and track options, so I’d look at that too 

Edited by iconic
  • Upvote 2

On 5/23/2020 at 4:22 PM, iconic said:

Lynchburg can be completed in 4 semesters (12 months), 25k 

Rocky Mountain - can also be completed in 4 semesters(16 months)  27k. Might be able to transfer some coursework to make it cheaper. 

AT Still - 18k, not sure how long

They have somewhat different curriculums and track options, so I’d look at that too 

Answer to both questions

The AT still website says 2-3 years. That doesn’t mean it can’t be quicker. With their “technology fee” it’s comes to $19k and change. By far the cheapest.

the shortest is no doubt Lynchburg at 12 months. It is also 25k in tuition. I’m not sure about fees.

Plug for my choice: Butler says 2 years standard and 5 year max, but it is self paced so it can be faster if you really load yourself down. I’ll be shooting for one year, but 50 credits in 3 semesters while working full time will be a real challenge.

butler also has an option for 15 percent discount if you precept students (4 per year) making it $29,750. There are no fees. They had a mostly clinical curriculum with just the right amount of admin classes for me.

i cannot find anything about UNMC having a program.

currently unknown is anything about the new program at Rocky Mountain College. Supposedly to start 1/2021, but no information other than some news articles.

17 hours ago, KpsPac said:

The AT Still University DMSc program can be 2 or 3 years with three different tracks, Clinical (you create your own curriculum), Education, and Leadership.

Tuition is 18k total. 

I am part of the first cohort. 

kps

Which track are you pursuing? I've had their website opened on a browser tab for weeks now.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

We should make a spreadsheet of the DMSc programs, cost, and credits required. I guess we can also include the MCPHS DScPAS degree which is just a weird name but whatever.

Don't forget the DHSc and DrPH options out there.

4 hours ago, lemurcatta said:

Hey EMED, do you know of any DrPH programs that would take someone without an MPH? I have an MS in biology and my PA master's degree, but no MPH. I would rather go the DrPH route than the DMS. 

check Boston University. I believe they will take you without the MPH, but you may have to do a bit of extra coursework.

• Upvote 1

Nice table.  NSU also has student fees of $405 per term in addition to the $671 per credit hour tuition.  When I was the PD students typically took between 2.5 years and 4 years to finish.  Average was a little under 3.  There were, and still are as far as I know, 4 terms per year with two required residential institutes of 3-5 days apiece, so travel costs are extra.   The program is interdisciplinary, so not all PAs, and, of course, many PAs now are going DMSc, choosing the briefer degree because of the large number of masters credits PAs typically have.  

Edited by rpackelly
Meow info
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:46 PM, brandonhughey said:

As of now I'm planning to start at RMU DMSc January 2021 (Healthcare Leadership and Administration concentration). I was informed by the program director that I'll likely be able to transfer 12 credits from my MHA courses into the program, leaving 24 credits left. And, if you have completed or are currently completing a postgraduate fellowship, you get a 15% discount off of tuition. Same if you are teaching. The total cost left for me will be $15k and will take 16 months to complete. Lynchburg unfortunately does not accept transfer credit unless it is from a previous doctorate or PhD so that kind of ruled Lynchburg out for me. With Butler, 50 credits for a postgraduate doctorate just seems like too many. PAs already have 100+ credit hours from their master's programs. Requiring another 50 would make it 150 credit hours for a doctorate... yikes. And the program costs $35k...

The RMU program does look very good and I like the diversity of there concentrations. 

As for the length of butler, it is a primarily clinical program. And what is the number one thing MDs say about PA school? That we just gloss over the things. So in a way I'm avoiding a future argument by actually having more class work. As for the $35k, that's what you pay for private school tuition and agree, it's a lot. For me though, it's the best option for what I want out of a degree, allowing me to work, and GI bill is paying for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator
53 minutes ago, iconic said:

ATSU is still one of the cheapest but tuitions have been creeping up as is the case with everything else. There are more DMSc programs now but I’m not sure about attending a no name institution 

My favorite supervising doc, a DO who graduated from Kirksville, MO SOM back in the day was very pleased to hear I was getting my DMSc from ATSU.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

My favorite supervising doc, a DO who graduated from Kirksville, MO SOM back in the day was very pleased to hear I was getting my DMSc from ATSU.

ATSU is a solid program, both for DHSc and DMSc. Dr Randy Danielsen was one of my doctoral professors at Nova. Great instructor and a wonderful human being. He is now the director at ATSU

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...