In need of a little guidance

I had questions regarding how schools look at applicants having a masters degree.......I will be graduating in the fall with my masters degree in public administration with an emphasis in public health and I wanted to work a couple of years on the administrative side of the medical field before applying to pa school. I currently have a 4.0 GPA, but my undergrad GPA is what worries me. I will be taking my the required anatomy classes in the fall at a community college and with the addition of these classes, my undergrad GPA will barely meet the 3.0 min cutoff. Any suggestions on what I should do or are there programs that take into consideration non-biology master degrees. I have tons of volunteer hrs so I am not worried about this area, just the low undergrad gpa.

I had questions regarding how schools look at applicants having a masters degree.......I will be graduating in the fall with my masters degree in public administration with an emphasis in public health and I wanted to work a couple of years on the administrative side of the medical field before applying to pa school. I currently have a 4.0 GPA, but my undergrad GPA is what worries me. I will be taking my the required anatomy classes in the fall at a community college and with the addition of these classes, my undergrad GPA will barely meet the 3.0 min cutoff. Any suggestions on what I should do or are there programs that take into consideration non-biology master degrees. I have tons of volunteer hrs so I am not worried about this area, just the low undergrad gpa.

This is my personal opinion and I am not apart of any programs ADCOM so that it for what it is worth.

When you take the classes that are pre-reqs for PA school you need to get A's in all of those classes.

When\if you get an interview you need to make it clear that your undergrad is not a relfection of your current academic aptitude. Your Grad GPA and your pre-reqs are a good measure of how your will be as a student (especially cause they are more recent). Programs will take that into account. I would also recommend getting some hands on (not shadowing) patient experience.

Good Luck,

Adam

This is my personal opinion and I am not apart of any programs ADCOM so that it for what it is worth.

When you take the classes that are pre-reqs for PA school you need to get A's in all of those classes.

When\if you get an interview you need to make it clear that your undergrad is not a relfection of your current academic aptitude. Your Grad GPA and your pre-reqs are a good measure of how your will be as a student (especially cause they are more recent). Programs will take that into account. I would also recommend getting some hands on (not shadowing) patient experience.

Good Luck,

Adam

The PA profession needs more people who are familiar with administrative roles. Public health is just one part of that. The ability to sit down, dissect data, and create programs catering to that data which favor PAs...the benefit to the profession can be quite profound. While I am from the camp of "must have previous health care experience" (read the quotes in a big, booming, somewhat domineering tone for best affect), I have been enlightened that PAs are losing footing in the medical field IF we don't get some of our people at the table the that makes decisions. MANY many many PAs with the previous health care experience just really want to treat patients. Sign their credentials, do some mentoring, they'll come seek assistance when they need it. Administration doesn't work that way. I have little doubt that you, as an applicant, can find a school program that values your predicted track. Of course, medical experience never hurts but after your 4.0 in your graduate program, and you bring a few years of public health/admin experience to the table... I have a feeling you'll get an interview or two. Just don't choke them :)

The PA profession needs more people who are familiar with administrative roles. Public health is just one part of that. The ability to sit down, dissect data, and create programs catering to that data which favor PAs...the benefit to the profession can be quite profound. While I am from the camp of "must have previous health care experience" (read the quotes in a big, booming, somewhat domineering tone for best affect), I have been enlightened that PAs are losing footing in the medical field IF we don't get some of our people at the table the that makes decisions. MANY many many PAs with the previous health care experience just really want to treat patients. Sign their credentials, do some mentoring, they'll come seek assistance when they need it. Administration doesn't work that way. I have little doubt that you, as an applicant, can find a school program that values your predicted track. Of course, medical experience never hurts but after your 4.0 in your graduate program, and you bring a few years of public health/admin experience to the table... I have a feeling you'll get an interview or two. Just don't choke them :)

Thanks Just Steve, I worry about whether some schools will see my graduate degree as a problem because although I have plenty of health care volunteer hours, it is not a science or psychology related masters degree. Most people seem to push these two areas as a plus for getting into the medical field.

Archived