Application Cycle 2020-2021

3 hours ago, AndrewsOkay said:

That's excellent news. Also, keep in mind that schools often "Accept" more students than they "Matriculate."

Just because some of the more competitive students will end up rescinding their acceptance to attend another school. Though, how many will do that, I don't know. I know uPitt is my personal top choice.

@AndrewsOkay Why is university of Pittsburgh your top choice? Location wise, family support, previous graduate, great PA program, great teaching techniques,  60 students is not small class size, or something else that u like about school? Thank you for the Interview feedback in previous message. 

@AjeBaje

In short, shared values, a shared approach to medicine, location, and opportunity. 

I'll go into some specifics, and try to keep it concise, but this is going to be a long post.

• Alumni Involvement - Something that came up frequently both during informational sessions and the interview day is how involved the alumni are. As an alum of Thomas Jefferson who returned to develop an alumni program, I can say alumni do not return to volunteer unless the character of your program is amazing. Additionally, alumns are excellent resources for contextualizing the coursework, and finding work after graduation.
  • Approach to Medicine - Pitt had a very pragmatic approach to improving the quality of medical providers that they graduate. As an example, Pitt is one of the only programs that I have found that does extensive training on how to use an EMR program. From my experience as a laboratorian I've found that a lack of proficiency in  computers and EMR programs leads to far too many delays in patient care. It's not a sexy topic, and it's not the most dramatic sounding problem we have in medicine, but it's possibly one of the most important things to understand as you'll be spending 90% of your time as a provider behind a computer screen. This is just one example of many that I've found of Pitt addressing important problems over flashy ones.
  • UPMC - Again, I'm a Jefferson grad. I studied at TJU and did my clinicals at TJUH. Studying and training within the same health system did wonders for the continuity of my education. The staff at Jefferson Hospital had an amazing working relationship with the faculty of my program, and for that reason I had one of the most informative clinical experiences I could have asked for. Apparently roughly 60% of uPitt PA students do their clinicals at UPMC, so that sounds amazing to me. 
  • New Ventures - The Pitt PA program just became a department, upped their class size to 60 students, and built a brand new building. I got involved in urgent care when it was a brand new concept, and loved the chance to teach patients how UC fit into the greater medical system. I took my current job because it gave me the opportunity to be part of building and certifying a brand new laboratory. I love new ventures and the chance to help build something new. This also might give some insight into the administrative process of PA school as they continue to figure things out. I could see myself pivoting to education at some point, so even having a glimpse into what it was like to develop and elevate a PA program sounds amazing.

Anyway, it doesn't stop there, but those are a few of the key reasons why Pitt shot up to the top of my list. Sorry for the small novels worth of text. From my personal and professional experiences Pitt just seems like a good fit for me.

Edited by AndrewsOkay
Grammar and Formatting
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, AndrewsOkay said:

@AjeBaje

In short, shared values, a shared approach to medicine, location, and opportunity. 

I'll go into some specifics, and try to keep it concise, but this is going to be a long post.

• Alumni Involvement - Something that came up frequently both during informational sessions and the interview day is how involved the alumni are. As an alum of Thomas Jefferson who returned to develop an alumni program, I can say alumni do not return to volunteer unless the character of your program is amazing. Additionally, alumns are excellent resources for contextualizing the coursework, and finding work after graduation.
  • Approach to Medicine - Pitt had a very pragmatic approach to improving the quality of medical providers that they graduate. As an example, Pitt is one of the only programs that I have found that does extensive training on how to use an EMR program. From my experience as a laboratorian I've found that a lack of understanding of technology and EMR programs leads to way too many delays in patient care. It's not sexy, and it's not the most dramatic sounding problem we have in medicine, but it's possiblely one of the most important things to understand as you'll be spending 90% of your time as a provider behind a computer screen. This is just one example of many that I've found.
  • UPMC - Again, I'm a Jefferson grad. I studied at TJU and did my clinicals at TJUH. Studying and training within the same health system did wonders for the continuity of my education. The staff at Jefferson Hospital had an amazing working relationship with the faculty of my program, and for that reason I had one of the most informative clinical experiences I could have asked for. Apparently roughly 60% of uPitt PA students do their clinicals at UPMC, so that sounds amazing to me. 
  • New Ventures - The Pitt PA program just became a department, upped their class size to 60 students, and built a brand new building. I got involved in urgent care when it was a brand new concept, and loved the chance to teach patients how UC fit into the greater medical system. I took my current job because it gave me the opportunity to be part of building and certifying a brand new laboratory. I love new ventures and the chance to help build something new. This also might give some insight into the administrative process of PA school as they continue to figure things out. I could see myself pivoting to education at some point, so even having a glimpse into what it was like to develop and elevate a PA program sounds amazing.

Anyway, it doesn't stop there, but those are a few of the key reasons why Pitt shot up to the top of my list. Sorry for the small novels worth of text. From my personal and professional experiences Pitt just seems like a good fit for me.

OMG! this was a fantastic information. I am amazed about your approach to university of Pittsburgh PA program. It is very informative. Thank you so much! 🙂 

• Like 1

For anyone who interviewed on the 14th, when did you receive your zoom meeting ID number and other instructions about the interview? I was invited for an interview for the 28th back on June 17th and still haven't received this information. I am considering reaching out soon but I wanted to give them time to get things situated after the first group interviewed. Thanks!

On 7/16/2020 at 5:56 PM, AndrewsOkay said:

That's excellent news. Also, keep in mind that schools often "Accept" more students than they "Matriculate."

Just because some of the more competitive students will end up rescinding their acceptance to attend another school. Though, how many will do that, I don't know. I know uPitt is my personal top choice.

I was just thinking the same...if they end up accepting 100 and every person ends up trying to matriculate there, they will be in for some trouble 😂 

8 minutes ago, kattwilliams said:

I was just thinking the same...if they end up accepting 100 and every person ends up trying to matriculate there, they will be in for some trouble 😂 

Well, thankfully that's why they stagger their interviews and have a waitlist. I don't think anyone should ever worry about a class being "overfilled."

3 hours ago, AndrewsOkay said:

Hey, I'd be happy to see each and every one of you get accepted. Fingers crossed for that class of 100 😂

Do you think that since the next round of interviews is July 28th, we will hear back before then? I've been thinking about it for days, lol! From last year's forum, people were accepted 10-14 days after their interviews so we have to be close.

Edited by AlexisA

7 minutes ago, AlexisA said:

Do you think that since the next round of interviews is July 28th, we will hear back before then? I've been thinking about it for days, lol! From last year's forum, people were accepted 10-14 days after their interviews so we have to be close.

They said "3-4 weeks during the Q&A," and from last years thread it sounds like they send out acceptance e-mails closer to the 4 week mark. 😅

Fingers crossed they don't make us wait, though. 

2 hours ago, AndrewsOkay said:

They said "3-4 weeks during the Q&A," and from last years thread it sounds like they send out acceptance e-mails closer to the 4 week mark. 😅

What, I swear I read a bunch that got it much earlier than that from last year's thread!! I will have to go check lol. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexisA said:

What, I swear I read a bunch that got it much earlier than that from last year's thread!! I will have to go check lol. Fingers crossed!

2 hours ago, AndrewsOkay said:

So last year they submitted acceptances 3 days after the second round of interviews!! Which was like 2.5 weeks after the initial round of interviews, so we may get some earlier acceptances depending on COVID.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexisA said:

So last year they submitted acceptances 3 days after the second round of interviews!! Which was like 2.5 weeks after the initial round of interviews, so we may get some earlier acceptances depending on COVID.

I’ve never been happier to be wrong, haha. 😁

I must have got another school switched in my mind. 

• Like 2