Application Cycle 2020-2021

20 hours ago, ceo1218 said:

congratulations!!! would you mind sharing your stats?

Patient Care Experience: ~1,100 (working as a medical assistant in an OBGYN)

Shadowing: 47 total, (only 30 of these hours are shadowing PAs, the rest are docs)

Volunteer: 149

Healthcare Experience: 200

Teaching Experience: 224

Research: 1478 (2 year organic synthesis research project)

Leadership Experience: 116

Non-Healthcare Experience: 360

Total GPA: 3.95 (graduated Summa Cum Laude with a B.S. in Biochemistry)

Science GPA: 3.87

5 LOR:

1) PA from the OBGYN practice I am in a medical assistant at

2) Research advisor

3) Bio professor

4) Women and Gender studies professor

5)Office manager at OGBYN practice

GRE: 316 total and 5.0 on writing

I am also certified as an EMT-B, even though I have not worked in the field because I took a job as a medical assistant instead

On 7/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, Jel196 said:

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats and when you applied?

CASPA verified: June 15th

Degree: B.S. in Biology - Health Sciences

Cumulative GPA: 3.81

Science GPA: 3.63

GRE: Averages scores for verbal and quant; analytical: 98th percentile

PCE: 1300+ Hours  (HHA, GNA, PCT)

Research: 780 hours

PA Shadowing: 40 hours

Letters of Rec: 1 PA, 2 nurse managers, 1 research PI

I got my interview invite for October 27th today! I feel like I'm pretty middle of the road for stats so I was excited to get my first invite of this cycle.

CASPA Submitted: 5/21/2020

CASPA Verified: 5/26/2020

cGPA: 3.68

sGPA: 3.69

GRE: 310; 5.0

PCE: 1800+ (affected by COVID)

HCE: 400+ hours

Shadowing: 118 hours

Teaching Experience: 473 hours

LOR: 1 MD, 1 supervisor and PA, 1 dean of my college, 1 clinical supervisor

2 hours ago, empoff10 said:

Good luck to everyone interviewing today! I would love to hear how it went and any insight you could provide on the formatting of the interview. I am interviewing on the 28th and am a little concerned about them being over Zoom. Thanks!

Thanks! I'll be sure to update everyone with the general structure and anything else I learn afterward.

Okay, so, here's what I feel I can share about the interview...

It was composed of a 15 minute introduction, a 15 minute interview, and a 30 minute faculty Q&A session. While you are waiting for your interview slot you are free to either take a break or to enter a separate Zoom call where current students and alumni were doing a more free form Q&A session.

Edit: I had some technical issues with getting into the alumni Q&A, but your experience may vary. 😂

Overall, I was very impressed with how smoothly it all went. To those of you waiting to interview or waiting to receive an invitation to interview, I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by AndrewsOkay
Additional Information
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndrewsOkay said:

It was composed of a 15 minute introduction, a 15 minute interview, and a 30 minute faculty Q&A session. While you are waiting for your interview slot you are free to either take a break or to enter a separate Zoom call where current students and alumni were doing a more free form Q&A session.

Overall, I was very impressed with how smoothly it all went. To those of you waiting to interview or waiting to receive an invitation to interview, I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for relaying some information about the Zoom format, I'm glad it went smoothly! Hopefully you'll hear back soon! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AndrewsOkay said:

Thank you for the insight! It sounds like it went as smooth as it possibly could for a zoom interview. Good luck moving forward!

4 hours ago, AndrewsOkay said:

So the 15 minute interview was a panel interview with MMI questions or different types of questions? What did you think about the school and PA program format after Q&A with the students? How did you prepare for the interview and did they let you know when they will be getting back with you for acceptance or rejections email?@AndrewsOkay

@kattwilliams - Thanks! I'll be sure to post here regarding their decision on me. Hopefully I can provide some insight as to what I did right or wrong depending on their decision.

@empoff10 - Thank you, and best of luck to you! Please keep us up to date on how your application goes.

@AjeBaje - I don't want to go into specifics because one, they are likely to change the questions between interview dates and two, I don't think it would be fair to those who interviewed already. I will, however, say that the questions they asked were in a category of their own and did a good job of side-stepping the traditional questions you'd expect from either a panel or MMI interview. Also, they gave us a time-frame of 3-4 weeks for a decision. I hope that helps, best of luck!

• Like 3

Hi everyone, congrats and good luck to those who have interviewed or received interview invites so far! I'm set to interview on the 28th and was wondering if anyone from the July 14th date has an idea of how many prospective students seemed to have been invited that day? I'm just trying to get a feel for how many individual interviews they conduct. Thanks!

53 minutes ago, lps31 said:

Hi everyone, congrats and good luck to those who have interviewed or received interview invites so far! I'm set to interview on the 28th and was wondering if anyone from the July 14th date has an idea of how many prospective students seemed to have been invited that day? I'm just trying to get a feel for how many individual interviews they conduct. Thanks!

There were approximately 25-30 interviewees on the 14th, I think! I imagine they'll probably keep around those numbers and so far there are four interview sessions 🙂 

Edited by AlexisA
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, AlexisA said:

There were approximately 25-30 interviewees on the 14th, I think! I imagine they'll probably keep around those numbers and so far there are four interview sessions 🙂 

I think that's a pretty good estimate. I was having some trouble getting a headcount because there were so many faculty members mixed in with the interviewees, and it was hard to tell who was who. 😅

Either way, with 60 slots available, I hope everyone who has been offered an interview can take a sigh of relief knowing that the odds aren't as stacked against them as with some other schools.

• Like 2

I think that's a pretty good estimate. I was having some trouble getting a headcount because there were so many faculty members mixed in with the interviewees, and it was hard to tell who was who. [emoji28]
Either way, with 60 slots available, I hope everyone who has been offered an interview can take a sigh of relief knowing that the odds aren't as stacked against them as with some other schools.

According to my friend who is currently in the program, they are taking 100-120 total expecting only around half of those will actually matriculate. So I think the odds are actually pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AndrewsOkay said:

I think that's a pretty good estimate. I was having some trouble getting a headcount because there were so many faculty members mixed in with the interviewees, and it was hard to tell who was who. 😅

I noticed when we were all in the "Main Room", somebody said around those numbers!! But that's what I keep telling myself too, lol! Having a class of 60 compared to 30 really makes a difference in your statistical chances of being accepted :) 

3 minutes ago, Ferdy said:

According to my friend who is currently in the program, they are taking 100-120 total expecting only around half of those will actually matriculate. So I think the odds are actually pretty good.

That's excellent news. Also, keep in mind that schools often "Accept" more students than they "Matriculate."

Just because some of the more competitive students will end up rescinding their acceptance to attend another school. Though, how many will do that, I don't know. I know uPitt is my personal top choice.

Edited by AndrewsOkay
Grammar
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ferdy said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omg those are AMAZING odds! You really just lifted my spirits!

• Like 3