2020-2021 Cycle

Guest wildalaska

Guest wildalaska

CASPA submitted May 8th, verified on May 11th, received an email from UNM letting me know they received my application on May 14th. Fingers crossed for a supplemental!

On 5/20/2020 at 8:24 PM, wildalaska said:

CASPA submitted May 8th, verified on May 11th, received an email from UNM letting me know they received my application on May 14th. Fingers crossed for a supplemental!

I got the email may 14th as well, I guess we will see what happens! Good luck 🙂

I Applied last cycle 2019 and I wanted to share my feedback with you all..

• UNM Alumni 
  • Registered Vascular Technologist (Vascular Ultrasound)  
  • 5000+ Volunteer Hours with Multiple Organizations (including Hosting a Foreign Exchange Student) 
  • Be The Match, National Marrow Donor Registry wrote me a recommendation letter including all the volunteering I have done for them
  • Culturally aware, lived in Korea plus travelled to Thailand, Japan, Vietnam and The Philippines.
  • GPA last 60 hours was 3.39, overall science and math 3.0

What I wanted to share with everyone because it is important is:

• Dealing with the NEW Advisor she will tell you conflicting information as the previous AMAZING advisor, as now ALL THE GPA MATTERS, when the old Advisor said last 60hours only.....
  • She will tell you they accept ONLY 2 out of state applicants, not true.
  • They used to have 2 seats for lower 3.0 GPA's according to old Advisor.
  •  
  • They are not reading over the application at all.....FYI
  • Was told in my feedback I had NO VOLUNTEER HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
  • I had 6 PUBLICATIONS WRITTEN UP ON MY VOLUNTEERING with a link to each article included 
  • & a recommendation letter from Be the Match about all my volunteer work with them
  • plus my supplemental application was also written about a volunteer project I implemented in Korea 
  • This was my proof they did not even look at my application!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  •  
  • I submitted my application in May 2019 at the beginning of the cycle and it obviously wasn't read then.
  • I no longer believe ESSAY is that important, read mine and you will know why.
  •  
  • Myths, essay will help them understand where you are coming from, why you weren't a traditional student and helps explain GPA. ( Not iF they aren't reading it to begin with)

IMG_2855.jpg

PAapp2019.pdf

Guest wildalaska

@TylerV fingers crossed for ya, everything seems to take an eternity when waiting to hear from PA programs, hang in there! 

Edited by wildalaska

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wildalaska

Sent in my supplemental application on June 7th. Their website says you'll have two weeks to send it back, but my email with the supplemental had a specific return-by date that was just 9 days out! Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest wildalaska

Just got an email this morning that my supplemental application has been received and there is no further action required. I submitted my supplemental application on June 7th.

10 minutes ago, wildalaska said:

Just got an email this morning that my supplemental application has been received and there is no further action required. I submitted my supplemental application on June 7th.

I just got the same email. I submitted around the same time you did 🙂.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 2:59 PM, eccentricmedic said:

Do only a few people get supplementals? 

It sounds like it, unfortunately. I submitted May 31st and was CASPA verified on June 12th. No supplement link sent. If what @PA2B83said is correct then my cGPA is the culprit. Last 150 credits are 3.5+ but my overall cGPA is 2.97 (from classes in 2006). Lots of volunteer hours, military experience, 6000+ PCE. 

• 5 weeks later...

Got an email update today. 

"Thank you for completing and submitting the University of New Mexico PA Program's supplemental application and payment. Your application is now complete and requires no further action on your part.

Applicants who are invited to interview will be contacted via email.  Interviews will be held in October."

• Like 1

Hi all!! Out of state applicant here 😀

Submitted 7/27, verified the next day and got an email confirmation from the program as well. Today, 8/13, I received the invitation to submit their supplemental application! It definitely gave me a boost of confidence and I am so excited what is on the horizon!!

Good luck everyone and let's keep the positive energies going🙏🎆!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wildalaska

Just received this email regarding interviews being delayed until January 2021. Unfortunately, I will most likely be withdrawing my application from consideration due to this delay!

Good morning,

The University of New Mexico Physician Assistant Program has received a dramatic increase in applications this cycle.  In order to complete a robust review of each application we will be delaying the dates of our interviews.  We anticipate scheduling virtual interviews by January 2021 to select our Class of 2023 who will begin the program in July 2021.  

If you no longer wish to be considered for a seat in our Class of 2023, please email us at paprogram@salud.unm.edu.

We look forward to reviewing your application.

Guest wildalaska
4 minutes ago, byf8thpber said:

I just got that email as well. I don't think I will withdraw mine as of yet on the off chance I receive 6 rejections from my Sept-Oct interviews. 

Oh wow, I certainly hope that won't be the case haha!

I would keep myself in the running, but I have an acceptance to a program that starts the first week of January, so it wouldn't make sense for me to keep my application in the running for a January interview. Best of luck in all of your interviews!