UTRGV 2020/2021 APPLICATION CYCLE

Yo shoutout to Graccey and rpdmorm! One of y’all just passed me your acceptance letters. I believe I’m number #1-3 off the waitlist. To be transparent with everyone, I had slightly above the minimum amount of clinical hours, minimal organizations/leadership roles, but graduated with a 4.0 in biomedical science. Did not need to take any standardized tests this year. Most, if not all, of my professional background is in technology.
Also, I’m 24 and hispanic in case you’re curious about demographic information. I was waitlisted after a relatively rocky interview. They kept grilling me about why I didn’t want to apply to med school or do technology permanently. They also took notice that my credit semester hours were ONLY between 12-15 hours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PApaJohn said:

Yo shoutout to Graccey and rpdmorm! One of y’all just passed me your acceptance letters. I believe I’m number #1-3 off the waitlist. To be transparent with everyone, I had slightly above the minimum amount of clinical hours, minimal organizations/leadership roles, but graduated with a 4.0 in biomedical science. Did not need to take any standardized tests this year. Most, if not all, of my professional background is in technology.
Also, I’m 24 and hispanic in case you’re curious about demographic information. I was waitlisted after a relatively rocky interview. They kept grilling me about why I didn’t want to apply to med school or do technology permanently. They also took notice that my credit semester hours were ONLY between 12-15 hours.

Did you get an acceptance today?

Amanda Vargas just replied to these questions. 

1. Is the academy for success optional or mandatory? Is it usually in person or online? ;

The Academy for Success is mandatory. It usually has both an online and an in person session.

(Last year, it was all done virtually due to the pandemic and it may have to be online as well this year, but no decision has been made at this time.)

2. Roughly when does the academy for success start?

The Academy for Success online asynchronous portion started the 3rd week of July last year, and the synchronous portion was all week, August 10th – 14th.

This year it may also be done completely online, but at this time no specific date(s) have been provided.

3. Roughly when should classes officially start? Will they be online again as they were last year?

On the Academic Calendar it has the official start day, Monday, August 23rd, 2021.

The Fall schedule (online or on person) decision has not been made (it is greatly dependent on whether CDC guidelines and the university guidelines change), whether or not we would be able to accommodate all students in a classroom.

3 hours ago, RossAET said:

Hi! I'm new here! I'm from Florida and many of the schools I want to apply to are in Texas. And specifically, UTRGV! I've heard that they prioritize Texas Residents. Thus, what are the chances of getting accepted for out-of-state applicants?

Hey there! You would get a better answer from the program directly. So, I recommend emailing the administrative assistant - Amanda Vargas. She replies fairly quickly. You can get her email from their website. Hope this helps 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RossAET said:

Hi! I'm new here! I'm from Florida and many of the schools I want to apply to are in Texas. And specifically, UTRGV! I've heard that they prioritize Texas Residents. Thus, what are the chances of getting accepted for out-of-state applicants?

I don't mean to sound negative, but from my two rounds applying, it does not seem that they prioritize Texas Residents so don't let that discourage you from applying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rrr2020 said:

I don't mean to sound negative, but from my two rounds applying, it does not seem that they prioritize Texas Residents so don't let that discourage you from applying. 

Not at all! And thank you! I want to try my luck there because the only science classes that were taken more than 10 years ago are A&P 1 and 2. Though I did take A&P-like but it was for my PTA program a few years ago. And according to their admission criteria, they only need a minimum of 15 credits that are within 10 years so at least I have a chance!

10 hours ago, pa9701 said:

Hey there! You would get a better answer from the program directly. So, I recommend emailing the administrative assistant - Amanda Vargas. She replies fairly quickly. You can get her email from their website. Hope this helps 

Thank you! I actually need to email them regarding other matters.

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2021 at 6:41 PM, Obiwankenobi said:

I still haven’t heard from UTRGV. No acceptance, rejection or waitlist. I’m guessing I’ll hear from them tomorrow? Anyone else not hear anything?

I still want to decide from this school and another. 

Hey, when did you apply? Also, did you already go through an interview with them? And are you a Texas resident? lol I just want to know if anyone from out-of-state have actually gotten in at UTRGV.