New grad offer - Interventional pain management

Wanting feedback about this offer. This is a small interventional pain clinic with a solo physician. MD has worked with PAs before but I would be the first PA they have hired. The below is based on a full time position - however, they have explained that I will likely begin part time (3 days/week) until patient load picks up post-COVID. Will likely begin position in November 2020, estimated to be full time around January 2021. 

Location: DE, will be commuting from Philadelphia (~35 miles each way) 

Salary: 90k (possibility to increase once more independent)

Monday through Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM, no call, no weekends

PTO: 2 weeks, flexible 

Primarily will work in clinic with patients, some procedural work (joint injections, trigger point injections, etc), some work in infusion center 

Work laptop will be provided for EMR

Licensing / DEA will be reimbursed

CME: will attend conferences with SP (clinic paid), possibility of additional $ 

Malpractice covered 

401k after working 1000 hours, 4% matching

Health benefits (no vision / dental)

Normal workers comp but no disability insurance

What do you think, am I missing anything? The environment of the clinic seems really great, and physician seems open to teaching without babying me - as a new grad that is very important to me. Physician is focused on interventional pain management, and shys away from medication usage. I'm a little weary of the commute but the drive only takes about ~40 minutes and the work environment seems so great that it seems like a small problem.

Edited by ama6051

honestly, with the way the world is these days, I'd consider that a fine new grad offer.  That's a great schedule, and since the hours aren't long, I think the commute would be tolerable.  You have good vibes about the practice and and a teaching physician - go for it unless you smell any red flags when you get your employment agreement 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started in pain management 1 year ago, in ortho now. It can be a difficult specialty, as you know. Lots of very demanding patients, comorbid psych issues, addiction and narcotic seeking behavior. A lot of patients do not make any improvement, even with extensive intenventional procedures. I think your offer is fair, just a heads up that it can be a burnout specialty

• 2 weeks later...

Might be late to the game, but I would take it. Three days per week at full salary while you're getting your feet wet sounds great. Not sure about COL in the area but hours seems ok, even with commute. Two weeks PTO might create a situation for burnout once your panel is full, but I think you could get at least a year or two under your belt at that pace and go from there. No vision/dental but that shouldn't be too expensive. 

However, please note that just because your SP has worked with PAs before doesn't mean they know how to mentor or "train" a PA, despite their willingness to do so. Just be aware of that.

What'd you end up doing?

On 5/19/2020 at 8:43 AM, ama6051 said:

Wanting feedback about this offer. This is a small interventional pain clinic with a solo physician. MD has worked with PAs before but I would be the first PA they have hired. The below is based on a full time position - however, they have explained that I will likely begin part time (3 days/week) until patient load picks up post-COVID. Will likely begin position in November 2020, estimated to be full time around January 2021. 

Location: DE, will be commuting from Philadelphia (~35 miles each way) 

Salary: 90k (possibility to increase once more independent)

Monday through Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM, no call, no weekends

PTO: 2 weeks, flexible 

Primarily will work in clinic with patients, some procedural work (joint injections, trigger point injections, etc), some work in infusion center 

Work laptop will be provided for EMR

Licensing / DEA will be reimbursed

CME: will attend conferences with SP (clinic paid), possibility of additional $ 

Malpractice covered 

401k after working 1000 hours, 4% matching

Health benefits (no vision / dental)

Normal workers comp but no disability insurance

What do you think, am I missing anything? The environment of the clinic seems really great, and physician seems open to teaching without babying me - as a new grad that is very important to me. Physician is focused on interventional pain management, and shys away from medication usage. I'm a little weary of the commute but the drive only takes about ~40 minutes and the work environment seems so great that it seems like a small problem.