Program Lost Accreditation

Hello all,

So I recently started at a PA program in January of this year, and I just finished my first semester. The program was in its final year of provisional status and as far as we were told, they were fully expecting to receive full accreditation. Unfortunately, last Friday, we were notified by the president of the university that the program did NOT receive full accreditation and instead of going on probation, the university decided to disband the program for the time being to rectify the infractions levied by ARC-PA. ARC-PA stated that the two classes ahead of us would be allowed to finish out their education while my class would not. The university has been very shady in regards to how long they've known that this would be a possibility but they have stated that they will help us find programs to transfer to. They were supposed to have a meeting with ARC-PA today to discuss how the transfers would work but apparently the meeting never happened. It's beginning to feel like we will be left kicked to the curb on this. With all this said, my question is: has anyone experienced anything similar to this? If so, what actions did you take and how likely is it that a program will allow us to transfer in without going through the CASPA application process again? Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thatgirlonabike

The website still says this: 

Approximately 34 PA students who just completed their first semester will not be permitted to continue their PA program at Lenoir-Rhyne and will transfer to other programs. ARC-PA denied the University's request to teach out this group of students through May 2022. Through a partnership with the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), LR has arranged for each of these students to transfer directly into its PA program without delay. In addition, LR will work with each of these students to return tuition dollars paid in spring 2020, including a portion of onboarding fees. For those students who prefer to enter other programs, LR faculty and staff are working collaboratively with peer institutions to place each student in his or her desired location. Furthermore, if there is a lag time before these students are placed in another program, LR is offering each of these students the opportunity to enroll in the Master of Public Health (MPH) program at Lenoir-Rhyne tuition free.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mands
On 6/1/2020 at 10:53 AM, thatgirlonabike said:

The website still says this: 

Approximately 34 PA students who just completed their first semester will not be permitted to continue their PA program at Lenoir-Rhyne and will transfer to other programs. ARC-PA denied the University's request to teach out this group of students through May 2022. Through a partnership with the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), LR has arranged for each of these students to transfer directly into its PA program without delay. In addition, LR will work with each of these students to return tuition dollars paid in spring 2020, including a portion of onboarding fees. For those students who prefer to enter other programs, LR faculty and staff are working collaboratively with peer institutions to place each student in his or her desired location. Furthermore, if there is a lag time before these students are placed in another program, LR is offering each of these students the opportunity to enroll in the Master of Public Health (MPH) program at Lenoir-Rhyne tuition free.

Very unfortunate and interesting. I love MUSC! I applied there after visiting! The MPH is a tempting offer too but it doesn't help you that much with being in a PA program and having to balance that program. 

Sorry guys, been meaning to update but things have been crazy. Like the poster up above said, MUSC was gracious enough to accept our whole class. Seems like we upgraded going from Hickory, NC to Charleston (no offense if you are from Hickory 😁) but still a stressful situation. 

If anyone has a similar situation in the future, feel free to reach out to me for advice! 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/25/2020 at 6:03 PM, TKPA1 said:

Sorry guys, been meaning to update but things have been crazy. Like the poster up above said, MUSC was gracious enough to accept our whole class. Seems like we upgraded going from Hickory, NC to Charleston (no offense if you are from Hickory 😁) but still a stressful situation. 

If anyone has a similar situation in the future, feel free to reach out to me for advice! 

Don't mean to bring traumatic experiences from the past. But LR is reapplying for accreditation and trying to bring the program back in 2024. If you don't mind, based on your experience prior to the program withdrawing from accreditation, would you recommend applying to LR (knowing the faculty, and I think they still have the same program director).

Side questions: I am also applying to MUSC. How did you like it there?