2020-2021 Application Cycle

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 8:27 PM, alwayssearching2012 said:

Has anyone heard anything from this program? I submitted my supplemental to them more than a week ago and have been told by every other Nova campus that my application is under review except this one.

I submitted my application 5/14, verified 5/15, and received an email from them 6/8 saying they had all my info. They just recently started sending out confirmations, per their info sessions. If you don't hear anything by the end of June they said to reach out. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 7:52 PM, Christian97 said:

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well! Does anyone know how long it takes for them to send a confirmation email once you submit your CASPA application?

Here was my time line

Submitted CASPA 5/14

Verified CASPA 5/15

App received by Nova 6/4/2020 - they also gave access to the supplemental

submitted supplemental 6/4/2020

Under review by Nova 6/5/2020

Nova received all information 6/8/2020

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi 

On 9/1/2020 at 7:05 AM, LisaPA said:

Hi! I just wanted to post that if anyone has any questions, you can message me at instagram.com/lisafellispa 

I just graduated August 14th from NSU Fort Myers. Will be taking my PANCE end of September. 

Hi LIsa, Thank you so much for being a resource for those of us hoping to be in your shoes one day:) I do not have instagram, and wondered if you would be willing to answer some questions here instead? or via email? 

What have you liked the most about the program? the area? 

What do you think made you a great candidate for their program? and what do you think helped you be successful in the program?

Were your clinical rotations all completed in the Fort Myers area? Any that you highly recommend participating in? 

Is there anything that you wish you would have known before attending the program that you could pass along to others?

I have an interest in this program due to their focus on leadership in the field and providing healthcare to under-served populations. Did you feel like these were things that were focused on throughout your education and clinical rotations? If so - how? 

Are you doing the concurrent PA?MPH program, and if so how do you feel about the courseload?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Julie

2 hours ago, JulieWish said:

Hi 

Hi LIsa, Thank you so much for being a resource for those of us hoping to be in your shoes one day:) I do not have instagram, and wondered if you would be willing to answer some questions here instead? or via email? 

What do you think made you a great candidate for their program? and what do you think helped you be successful in the program?

Were your clinical rotations all completed in the Fort Myers area? Any that you highly recommend participating in? 

Is there anything that you wish you would have known before attending the program that you could pass along to others?

I have an interest in this program due to their focus on leadership in the field and providing healthcare to under-served populations. Did you feel like these were things that were focused on throughout your education and clinical rotations? If so - how? 

Are you doing the concurrent PA?MPH program, and if so how do you feel about the courseload?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Julie

- So at the beginning, I didn't like that the campus was so small. Throughout my time there I am glad since you don't really have time to socialize. We have the entire 3rd floor to ourselves. The nurses have the 4th floor. Study room is 2nd floor. 1st floor is various offices/classrooms. I also love the new program director. Our program director left October 2019 to start a new PA program in GA. Our clinical director stepped in doing both jobs. She has now officially moved to program director. She has done so much for us to have us graduate on time. She asks for our opinions on how to make the program/interviews better. The area is fine. Traffic is a pain by the walmart there but I dealt with it. There is housing right by the school, across the street. I lived about 10 min away as it was slightly cheaper. There is everything you need basically within 10 minutes so its nice. 

- I really do 100% think clinical experience is very important. Experiences that would help the most would be scribe, EMT/paramedic, nurse, MA. I worked as a CNA and MA and had over 10k hours of direct patient care. Not sure exactly what made me get accepted as it took me 5 years to get accepted to any school. If you're good at learning info quickly, that will help you. If you can focus on school a lot, it will help. It was hard for me because I graduated college 5 years before starting and so I had to re-learn how to study and I forgot a lot of my undergrad science courses 

- Mine were actually all over. Usually they do try to allow you to have elective rotations where you would like but that all changed this year as we just had to find places that would take us as a lot of places are still not taking students. These were my rotations..

Rotation 1: OBGYN in Tampa

Rotation 2: Internal Medicine in Bradenton

Rotation 3: ER in Clewiston (my rural rotation - you will either be in clewiston or immokalee)

Rotation 4: Family Med in Fort Myers

Rotation 5: Surgery in Naples

Rotation 6: Virtual

Rotation 7: Virtual

Rotation 8: GI in Naples

Rotation 9: Peds ER (5 days) in Fort Myers

If they send you certain areas (for me, Tampa, Bradenton, Clewiston), they give you an apartment to live in so you don't have to worry about that.. Were they the best? No, but they are apartments.

- I actually liked all of my rotations honestly. If youre into surgery.. Dr. Smith in Naples will let you do things. I sutured almost every patient. My IM rotation (Mike Dale) had me writing full notes. Family med (Dr. Pritt) we saw basically all the patients. We also went to a nursing home on Wednesdays. OBGYN in Tampa, only go if you aren't intersted in OBGYN. He mostly does GYN. He doesn't deliver. You will only see pregnancies up to 32 weeks. But he likes to teach and hes the medical director of south university PA program.

- Just make sure you understand that PA school will be the hardest thing you have ever done in your entire life. If you're in a relationship, you may make it, you may not . I have been with my fiance for 7 years and there were definitely rough times. Don't expect to be going home often if your family isn't close. I believe this is for any PA school. Also, if you have Dr. Paola for interviews.. its not you, its him. Just try not to be too intimidated. 

- As mentioned above we all had to do rural rotations. Our clinical director told us to let her know if you want to have more rural rotations and she will try her best to give you as many rural rotations as she can. We also did a think called project seed where we went to Immokalee I believe to do a general free health fair. We also did sports physicals for high school students at a different location. Project seed was not mandatory. Sports physicals were. 

- I am not. I don't think anyone in our class did. The old program director highly suggested that we first see if we can handle regular PA school and then see if we want to add that. Theres no way I could have added any more coursework to my education. I was burnt out as it is. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LisaPA said:

- So at the beginning, I didn't like that the campus was so small. Throughout my time there I am glad since you don't really have time to socialize. We have the entire 3rd floor to ourselves. The nurses have the 4th floor. Study room is 2nd floor. 1st floor is various offices/classrooms. I also love the new program director. Our program director left October 2019 to start a new PA program in GA. Our clinical director stepped in doing both jobs. She has now officially moved to program director. She has done so much for us to have us graduate on time. She asks for our opinions on how to make the program/interviews better. The area is fine. Traffic is a pain by the walmart there but I dealt with it. There is housing right by the school, across the street. I lived about 10 min away as it was slightly cheaper. There is everything you need basically within 10 minutes so its nice. 

- I really do 100% think clinical experience is very important. Experiences that would help the most would be scribe, EMT/paramedic, nurse, MA. I worked as a CNA and MA and had over 10k hours of direct patient care. Not sure exactly what made me get accepted as it took me 5 years to get accepted to any school. If you're good at learning info quickly, that will help you. If you can focus on school a lot, it will help. It was hard for me because I graduated college 5 years before starting and so I had to re-learn how to study and I forgot a lot of my undergrad science courses 

- Mine were actually all over. Usually they do try to allow you to have elective rotations where you would like but that all changed this year as we just had to find places that would take us as a lot of places are still not taking students. These were my rotations..

Rotation 1: OBGYN in Tampa

Rotation 2: Internal Medicine in Bradenton

Rotation 3: ER in Clewiston (my rural rotation - you will either be in clewiston or immokalee)

Rotation 4: Family Med in Fort Myers

Rotation 5: Surgery in Naples

Rotation 6: Virtual

Rotation 7: Virtual

Rotation 8: GI in Naples

Rotation 9: Peds ER (5 days) in Fort Myers

If they send you certain areas (for me, Tampa, Bradenton, Clewiston), they give you an apartment to live in so you don't have to worry about that.. Were they the best? No, but they are apartments.

- I actually liked all of my rotations honestly. If youre into surgery.. Dr. Smith in Naples will let you do things. I sutured almost every patient. My IM rotation (Mike Dale) had me writing full notes. Family med (Dr. Pritt) we saw basically all the patients. We also went to a nursing home on Wednesdays. OBGYN in Tampa, only go if you aren't intersted in OBGYN. He mostly does GYN. He doesn't deliver. You will only see pregnancies up to 32 weeks. But he likes to teach and hes the medical director of south university PA program.

- Just make sure you understand that PA school will be the hardest thing you have ever done in your entire life. If you're in a relationship, you may make it, you may not . I have been with my fiance for 7 years and there were definitely rough times. Don't expect to be going home often if your family isn't close. I believe this is for any PA school. Also, if you have Dr. Paola for interviews.. its not you, its him. Just try not to be too intimidated. 

- As mentioned above we all had to do rural rotations. Our clinical director told us to let her know if you want to have more rural rotations and she will try her best to give you as many rural rotations as she can. We also did a think called project seed where we went to Immokalee I believe to do a general free health fair. We also did sports physicals for high school students at a different location. Project seed was not mandatory. Sports physicals were. 

- I am not. I don't think anyone in our class did. The old program director highly suggested that we first see if we can handle regular PA school and then see if we want to add that. Theres no way I could have added any more coursework to my education. I was burnt out as it is. 

This is really great information, thank you so much for sharing your experiences and letting us in on your journey.

Good luck to you on your boards and future job prospects!

4 minutes ago, copticmare said:

Congrats, received one as well! I was super concerned with that as well so I just tried finding the next 8am slot available. I thought since they specified 8am it’s probably better to pick that time.

I just called to try to reschedule because I accidentally scheduled for 10/15 at 12pm, but they said they are interviewing at 12pm as well.

They have 8 spots for 8am and 8 spots for 12pm on that day. 

I got 8am on Oct. 8th.  I'm in the Pacific time zone which means it starts at 5am for me. Yikes.  But I have two other interviews near the end of September, so I wanted to get the earliest slot available in case I get any acceptances, hopefully they'll come in around the same time.  Good luck to everyone!