2020-2021 Application Cycle

@MDalpias

Thank you!

I am what they consider a "non-traditional" applicant. I had a rough start to college so my stats were:

cGPA: 2.8

sGPA: 3.2

Last 90 GPA: 3.95

PCE: >18,000 hrs as MA 

GRE: 296

Shadowing: 208hrs

Second go around, I spent months on my personal statement, I got a LOR from a PA, and I was able to add 200 hrs of PA shadowing.

It's important to show who you are, your personality, and ways you persevere. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Guest wildalaska
5 hours ago, Mcn22 said:

Anyone still waiting for a confirmation that submitted everything (even supplemental) around 6/3? I sent them an email yesterday to make sure I did everything correctly. 

I received emails from MEDEX letting me know they had received my supplemental application, and some documents I had to send them. Other than that, I didn't get an email about my application being complete, or anything similar.

I sent my supplemental on May 3rd, and my CASPA was verified on May 11th.

Here are my stats! Do y'all think I have a decent chance?

cGPA= 3.35

sGPA=3.57

Unsure of how to calculate my last 90 hour GPA, but I'm guessing it'll be slightly higher than what I posted.

PCE= 4600 hours and an acute care RN

Shadowing hours=25 ( I work with PA's regularly as well)

GRE= 297 

LOR= 1 MD, 1 PA, and my nursing manager. 

Caspa submitted 6/9 and verified 6/11. Fine tuning my supplemental, but I hope to submit by this monday. 

Edited by Voxpa989

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 8:04 PM, Mmram said:

Hi everyone!

I am a first time applicant and live in WA. I am going back a forth between choosing Tacoma as my first choice location or Seattle. On one hand Tacoma has a smaller class size and from the info session, it was mentioned that Tacoma is more family oriented and has more one on one time with professors which sounds great. But I am wondering if I am putting myself at a disadvantage by putting Tacoma as my first choice when it is a smaller class and they accept more reapplicants/veterans in there class compared to Seattle. Does anyone have any insight?

I don't think it would put you at a disadvantage. If you like Tacoma more, put that as your first pick. Last round I put Seattle as my first choice and Tacoma as my second and ended up getting in to Tacoma. They did say that they'll choose you for which program they think you would be better in and mesh with more based on your application. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Municahh said:

I don't think it would put you at a disadvantage. If you like Tacoma more, put that as your first pick. Last round I put Seattle as my first choice and Tacoma as my second and ended up getting in to Tacoma. They did say that they'll choose you for which program they think you would be better in and mesh with more based on your application. 

Thank you for going back and answering my question! Did you think they were correct in choosing Tacoma as a better fit you?

On 6/6/2020 at 11:19 AM, wildalaska said:

Specifically for primary care experience, I listed my experience as a medical assistant in an outpatient internal medicine clinic, and my time in the clinic working with a PA while I was an Army medic. I don't have any rural/underserved population experience, unfortunately.

I work as a CNA in an inpatient cardiology unit at a university hospital (Madison, WI)...do you think this counts as a primary care experience? 

Hello again! I am working on the supplemental and got a little confused about this part:

"Family Practice/Primary Care Personal Statement: Please fill in this section only if you have prior family medicine, primary care, rural, or underserved experience."

Is the rural or undeserved part in relation to medicine only or can it be any experience??

On 7/2/2020 at 2:22 PM, Mmram said:

Hello again! I am working on the supplemental and got a little confused about this part:

"Family Practice/Primary Care Personal Statement: Please fill in this section only if you have prior family medicine, primary care, rural, or underserved experience."

Is the rural or undeserved part in relation to medicine only or can it be any experience??

medicine, nursing, PCE, HCE, etc...

6 hours ago, htb13a said:

medicine, nursing, PCE, HCE, etc...

Maybe I’m reading too much into it... but basically it has to be related to healthcare then?

like I have a lot experience teaching/tutoring underserved communities but that’s not what this prompt is for?

I can't say what I would have thought of the Seattle program since I didn't interview there, but everyone I met in Tacoma was great. The faculty were friendly and very personable, and the other candidates as well as current students were hard working and fun. The experiences everyone had were similar to my own and I did find a lot of them to also be in their late 20s and early 30s. The faculty were great, and I did genuinely like Tacoma quite a lot. Close enough to still go to Seattle for a weekend day but return to the more homey and slower paced Tacoma. It was not an easy decision to turn it down, and I highly recommend their program.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 9:41 PM, Mmram said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into it... but basically it has to be related to healthcare then?

like I have a lot experience teaching/tutoring underserved communities but that’s not what this prompt is for?

I believe it is for healthcare. But, you can always call and ask for clarification! 

Guest wildalaska
5 minutes ago, Reuvan said:

Just received email that my application has passed the initial screening and is moving on to faculty review.

Me too!!

41 minutes ago, MDalpias said:

When did you all apply and how long did it take? My app will go in tomorrow (new volunteer experience started today), thinking 2 weeks for CASPA verification, my supplemental is already in. 

I submitted my app, supplemental and sent my GRE score on 6/23 and got the email I've passed the initial screening today.