2020-2021 Cycle

14 minutes ago, julied410 said:

For the supplemental essays, should I make it a point to stay under the word limit, or should I try to keep it under the character limit? Not sure what to do. One of my essays is 308 words (the limit is 250) but only 1789 characters, and the limit is 2500. 

I went by character limit! Mostly because the texts boxes won’t take more than the required limit but won’t stop if you go over in words. 

On 5/25/2020 at 3:30 PM, Reuvan said:

Submitted supplemental and receive an application complete from Duke. Email said could take up to 6 weeks to respond, with interview invites going out between August to October. Good luck y'all

For the pre requisite portion of the supplemental app did you include all science courses taken. For example all classes under realm of bio for the other bio or all chem classes for chem section? I'm kind of confused because it automatically inserted several incorrect courses from CASPA for me. 

5 minutes ago, Gmsjustus said:

For the pre requisite portion of the supplemental app did you include all science courses taken. For example all classes under realm of bio for the other bio or all chem classes for chem section? I'm kind of confused because it automatically inserted several incorrect courses from CASPA for me. 

If you hit the edit button you’ll be able to choose what classes you want to count as your prerequisites. 

Hi all. 

Would it be frowned upon if I don't answer "Many times applications leave a candidate feeling that important areas of concern have been passed by. Please use the space below for any additional statement you feel is indicated. This question is optional and intended only to give each candidate full opportunity for self-expression." Part of the supplemental? 

It's optional and I can't think of one more thing I should write about myself LOL 

20 hours ago, secondroundbestround said:

Hi all. 

Would it be frowned upon if I don't answer "Many times applications leave a candidate feeling that important areas of concern have been passed by. Please use the space below for any additional statement you feel is indicated. This question is optional and intended only to give each candidate full opportunity for self-expression." Part of the supplemental? 

It's optional and I can't think of one more thing I should write about myself LOL 

I don't think so, I would just look over your whole application to make sure there is nothing else you need to address. But it's optional so it would be unfair if they held it against you.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 3:05 PM, onedayordayone said:

I'm confused about the section asking about Paid NON-Patient jobs that you've had in the last 15 years. Do they really want to know about my serving jobs and student secretary position? They were not very profound so I'm not sure if I should leave this section blank.

What did you guys do?

Was also curious about this...... I worked at smoothie king and nannied... Was going to leave it blank 

17 hours ago, secondroundbestround said:

Was also curious about this...... I worked at smoothie king and nannied... Was going to leave it blank 

I put my shoe department and cell phone store job and just made sure to explain my duties, what I learned, and how that will make me a better PA. It seems weird but worse they can do is ignore it 

14 hours ago, secondroundbestround said:

How is everyone formatting agreeable/disagreeable responsibilities and how much time should I be putting into this portion of the app? 

Anyone know what Duke is looking for exactly? 

I was also confused about what they meant  by agreeable/disagreeable responsibilities. 

The supplemental application automatically populated psychology and some of my health science courses as science (HTH prefix). did you guys erase this and just put pre reqs?

In addition to academic and professional health background experiences, the P.A. Program is interested in life experiences which have been formative to your growth as a person and in definition of life goals. Please use the space below to describe any experience of personal significance to you. This essay is required.

Limit 2500 characters (about 250 words).

anyone use a healthcare experience for this? not sure if they want something not healthcare related for this question

4 hours ago, singerdancer said:

In addition to academic and professional health background experiences, the P.A. Program is interested in life experiences which have been formative to your growth as a person and in definition of life goals. Please use the space below to describe any experience of personal significance to you. This essay is required.

Limit 2500 characters (about 250 words).

anyone use a healthcare experience for this? not sure if they want something not healthcare related for this question

I began with an event that occurred as an athlete, described the growth and then how the lessons/growth translated to how I care for & advise patients. I would say the bulk of my essay is not healthcare related.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 11:17 AM, singerdancer said:

I was also confused about what they meant  by agreeable/disagreeable responsibilities. 

The supplemental application automatically populated psychology and some of my health science courses as science (HTH prefix). did you guys erase this and just put pre reqs?

Yes I just deleted the others and put pre-reqs!