Quitting PA school

I am finishing up didactic year of PA school, and am honestly thinking of quitting. My grades are great, but I just dread clinical year. I have a child (I'm the mom), and found it extremely hard being gone all day during didactic year - but I would usually come home at around 4 or 5 and spend time with my family, then study after everyone was asleep. Unfortunately I didn't consider the hours of clinical rotations before applying to school, and I didn't realize how much being away from my child would affect me. I was already nervous about this before starting school, but decided to just push myself into it. I'm hearing students talk about 5 12 hour shifts in the hospital, or surgery rotations that start at 5 am and end at 7 pm. I would never see my child! besides for potentially even missing weekends! I don't know who to turn to, my advisor is not very understanding or helpful. I want to continue, and would be devastated to quit. Besides for not having the degree, the amount of money I spent on tuition...I just can't fathom missing an entire year of my child's life. 

Each rotation will vary, but some rotations may not be as demanding.  For example I usually worked 8-9 hour shifts for both my peds and psych rotation and had time at home in the evening.  I did most of my studying for EORs on the weekend.  On my OB rotation, I usually worked about 12h days, but I worked 6a-6p, so theoretically, with a schedule like that, you would still have some time home in the evenings.  You may have some more demanding shifts, but hopefully, you will have some lighter rotations that will allow you to spend time with your child.  Hope this helps!

Try to work with your clinical advisor to find rotations that don't have extreme hours. For example our program had some trauma rotations that had insane hours, and I opted to do CT surgery instead, which wasn't nearly as demanding, hours wise. Many of my rotations I felt anxious by the thought of them, but once they began it felt more like a job, and overall I found the stress easier to manage vs. didactic year.  Most programs would rather makes some compromises rather than have a paying student, with adequate grades, quit their program. So in summary Don't Quit!

• Upvote 1

For me the didactic portion was the time-suck. My clinical rotations weren't nearly as bad with the exception of CT surgery. Seems like a waste for you to bail out now. You made it through the worst part of PA school and are about to start the more enjoyable aspect. My recommendation is NOT to bail out now. 

• Upvote 1

I'm currently suffering (almost halfway done) through the didactic year and couldn't imagine quitting after getting through this (if I survive it!). I definitely understand why you're wanting to quit for your family and nobody would judge you for doing so. That said, I hear that clinical year is much less demanding than didactic year. I understand your worries and know you're family should always be number one but try to hang in there. You only have a year left and then you can spend as much time as you would like with your family! The sacrifice will be well worth it! Either way, I hope you make the decision that's right for you.

Stick with it.  You'll be an inspiration to your child and others in your family later on for having persevered.  I'm reminded of my own mother, who made it through nursing school when my sister and I were kids.  I have nothing but admiration for her looking back on it now, and it's part of what inspired me to go into healthcare myself.  You can do it!

• Upvote 1

I dont know if this helps, but I'm a mom of 3 and currently in my clinical year. Your WORST day in clinicals is still better than your best day in didactic!! Some rotations have very long hours and some are more chill. It is invigorating and exciting and the hours/days/weeks fly by quickly.  Do not quit. You are pushing through this crazy schooling for a reason. If your child is very young, they likely won't remember your time in PA school.  If your child is older, you can laugh together in the future about how crazy PA school was, and your kid will always respect the passion and work you put in to help others as a career.  If you are having a hard time being away, make a countdown.   I was the most stressed at the end of didactic--I think it was mostly anxiety about the next phase and whether or not I could swing it as a student and as a mother. At the time, I was so freaking stressed and anxious I couldn't foresee/imagine that it would be amazing! Now with Covid-19 I am enjoying being home with my kids, but waiting desperately for the sites to open back up--I miss it so much.  Seriously- do not quit. When the going gets rough, cry a little bit and eat a few KitKats. YOU GOT THIS!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Wow, thank you everyone for your encouragement, it's so helpful! I do want to stay, I've put so much into this and I want to graduate, but it's hard to imagine being gone for so many hours.  It does vary by school I'm sure, my program does not let us have any say about our rotation sites or choices. I know this is super subjective, but have your guys found that preceptors were pretty understanding about not keeping students for hours on end?

@dk10977 Thank you so much for your post, it means a lot coming from a fellow mom! Kudos to you for doing this with 3 kids! Why did you find that clinicals were so much better than didactic? I'm so much happier now during this COVID situation, being able to be home all day while taking the classes online. My child is only 1.5 yo, and will definitely not remember. However I will remember missing out on so much 😞 When children are this young, so much happens in their development in just a year. 

@chelsealew Please stick with it. As a father of three and an EM PA-C I know what it's like to miss your family when at work and remember the long days and nights of PA school. You have a tremendous opportunity here to complete this program and become a PA. Clinical year will be difficult but very rewarding and will help shape you into the best PA-C. This too shall pass. Temporary sacrifice will benefit you so much in the long run.

My wife is also a PA-C and she tells me about the "mom guilt" that she feels due to choosing to work full-time. She finds the root of the guilt in how others perceive her, concerned that they will think she is not a good mother because she chooses to work and have a career. I want to make sure you know that you are a great mother and no one is questioning how much you love your daughter even if you will have to be away training temporarily. Best of luck with everything!

• Like 1

I've been in school since my son was born, he is now 10 and I am 3 months from finishing PA school. The time has flown! You will not remember what you missed because it is about quality not quantity. My little guy is actually a science-lover now because he pretty much grew up next to me. When I'm at home studying he is next to me on his iPad. He gets curious as to what I'm learning. When he was little, I would show him videos on the circulatory system or teach him the names of organs. I always included him. 

Also, when I was a kid, my mom was in college and I don't remember any of it but I sure would have felt sad and guilty if she would have quit just to sit on the couch with me. Haha!

Hang in there. Time will fly and then you can work half time for twice as much as a salary right now! 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, surgblumm said:

You are two thirds over the hump. If your grades are excellent, the didactic year is fun, interesting and a great opportunity to discover what you would like to do the rest of your life. 140,000 other PAs were where you were and they did it. Hang in there.

there are 140000 PA's? surely this field is saturated already.

100% agree with all of the encouraging suggestions above. Life during clinical rotations is SO MUCH more manageable and enjoyable overall. I remember having serious anxiety regarding the rigor of life during rotations - worrying about the difficulty of work during my shifts and between shifts at home. Let me reassure you that most rotations are genuinely enjoyable despite the pace of the work, and that you will have ample time for your personal life.

I also had this gross misconception that I would be treated like an Intern during rotations - expected to know everything, expected to work insane hours, constantly being pimped, etc. The reality is that life is much more reasonable as a student and many interns/residents/fellows/PAs/attendings fondly reflect on their days as a student. You have far fewer patients at a time, and will likely have to request to carry more patients at times. Another reality is that often times having a student can be burdensome, and it is easier for your preceptor to send you home on time/early than to keep you late. 

You can do this! Best of luck!