Hey everyone! 

I was recently accepted into a program for fall of 2020. BIOCHEM was not a prerequisite, but I have been currently retaking the class in case I had to re apply. My acceptance is conditional based on having an up to date physical and that is It (I already submitted the physical). My question is, is It worth finishing up this class strong? Or should I stop putting effort into the class and relax until my program starts? I’m not sure what to do & don’t want to waste time studying if I do not have to! Thanks !!

• 2 weeks later...

While there are principles of biochemistry inherent to the study of medicine, I feel that continuing your class will not benefit your studies during PA school. You need an understanding of the basic fundamentals of biochem to understand medicine, which you primarily obtain through other undergraduate science courses/prerequisites. You don't need to understand and shouldn't ever be tested on principles of amino acid synthesis or lipid catabolism during PA school. 

Having said that, most programs either start their didactic curriculum with an intense review of basic science (immunology, cell bio, physiology) and/or incorporate it throughout the didactic curriculum to varying levels of detail. Finishing your biochem course could help keep those basic science principles fresh in your mind. But overall I think you should relax and enjoy your time before starting school.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ppastudent20
      Hello,
      I am a recent bachelors graduate with no experience in the medical field (I only have a BLS/CPR license) and have been searching for a medical assistant position. I am located in Boynton/Delray/Boca, Florida. Any tips only how to apply/search for these positions when I have non experience? What is the best way to contact these offices? 
      Thank you! 
    • Guest Rescue2
      By Guest Rescue2
      Hi all,
      I was wondering if anyone could provide information on the chances of a university who has applied for ARC-PA provisional accreditation being successful in attaining this? I have applied to developing schools, both with long-standing and successful residential programs and have read the requirements from the ARC-PA website. So far, it looks promising, but I feel I can't get excited yet as there's always a possibility these schools won't pass accreditation.
      Thank you!
    • By Gilyprepa
      Hey everyone, there are still tickets available for those who are interested in the Loma Linda PA program. We have changed our event from zoom to being ON CAMPUS. There will be prizes raffled off. Due to some restrictions still being in place, the tickets that are being sold will only allow one person per ticket. More info on the flyer and event bright website. Thank you so much! Hope to see you there. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/llus-3rd-annual-pre-pa-conference-tickets-145958073527
      prePA conference final draft flyer On CAMPUS.pdf
    • By vjaniceb
      Hi there, my name is Vanessa and I just graduated with my bachelor's in February. I am looking to pursue into a PA program but not quite sure where to start. I am currently studying for the GRE and have about 250 internship hours done at an ENT clinic with an audiologist. I'm not sure in what I am doing and need any guidance or suggestion in what to do. 
    • By KH21444
      Hello!
      I'm currently in my undergrad program taking my prerequisites for PA school. I plan on graduating in the Spring of 2023 and applying for PA school that same year.
      As I begin my PA school research, I keep having self-doubts on my ability to learn the content in PA school, which questions my ability to "make it" as a PA.
      While I am doing well in my undergrad/prerequisite courses, I fear I am not genuinely learning the information - just merely memorizing and doing well on exams. My question is: Will I/How badly will I struggle in PA school if I don't remember/didn't efficiently learn the coursework from prerequisites like Biology/A&P/Chemistry?
      I do not fear applying for PA school/getting accepted (aware that it may not happen the first time I apply), but my current GPA is 3.8 and I've been working full-time as a medical assistant for 3 years (plenty of PCE, HCE & shadowing). However, I fear getting into PA school and having the feeling of "what did I get myself into". I've had PAs that I work for all tell me that I can do it, but I keep having this lingering self-doubt that my ADHD brain and I will not be able to grasps concepts like others will due to my lack of deep understanding during prerequisites (and just having recently been diagnosed with ADHD & still learning what medication works best for me).
      Is this feeling normal?
      Thank you to whoever can give me some honest insight!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More